Crafter Acoustic Problem

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

Crafter Acoustic Problem

Postby Roger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:53 pm

I think this is one for the Forum "Gurus" ie Gordon, Bob and Russ, but all input will be much appreciated :D

Last summer I had my Crafter acoustic set-up at a local music shop. I was very pleased with the result and have been until quite recently. However, just before Xmas I noticed that the bottom three strings were starting to buzz when played above the 7th/8th fret and the situation has continued to get gradually worse. The action on the guitar is now far too low and the cause appears to be straightening of the neck.

Is this type of thing usual after a newish steel strung acoustic has been set up for the first time and is it just a case of carefully adjusting the truss rod to get the guitar as it was? A complicating factor may be that the guitar has had a change of environment as we moved house last year.

Best to all,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Crafter Acoustic Problem

Postby GORDON » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi Roger.

If we lived closer I could probably sort it for you. It may just need the truss rod loosening to give the neck a bit more relief to clear the fingerboard. Sometimes changing string guage can effect the action, ie putting a lighter set on with pull the neck back a tad. Your local guitar man should sort it in a jffy methinks.

Be Well Both.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks Gordon! I think I'll have a go at this myself using Bob's advice of 1/8th of a turn at a time. I must admit I always feel more confident about taking on a task after tapping into the expertise and experience here at the Guitar Anoraks Forum :D

Best to you and Hilary,

Roger

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi Roger
It sounds like your guitar has a slightly over convex backbow that is causing the strings to buzz or choke. If it was done by a shop rather than a guitar repairer/luthier they may not have got it quite right. A lot of shops do it but you can’t beat a proper guitar repairer. As you have moved recently it could be that the humidity change has caused a bit of a problem. You should be able to tweak it by loosening the truss rod so that you only have a slight convex backbow which should raise the strings a bit and also keep a decent action. Hopefully that is all you will need to fix the problem. I wouldn’t think you need a full fretdress if it was done recently. Hope this helps. That was a quick answer Gordon :D
Be well both
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Bob.

Thanks for confirming my advice as to what to do re the re the neck problem on Roger's guitars. Just by turning the truss rod anti-clock wise will release a bit of the tension and give the neck a degree of relief thus helping to clear the frets, thus hopefully curing the fret buzz. Forgive me if I'm repeating myself here,but it's good to have two heads on the problem eh buddy.

Looking forward to seeing you both at that special party soon eh BOB.

LTYB.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:45 pm

Gordon and Bob,

Many thanks to you both - what would I do without the Guitar Anoraks Forum :D :D :D

Best to you both,

Roger

PS Should be able to look at the Crafter over the next day or two - I'll let you know how I get on!

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi Gordon
Yep, we’re all looking forward to that special party :D . It should be fun. It’s been too long since we saw you both. It will be great to see you both and catch up on things.
Be well
LTYB
Bob and Jane
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:44 am

My suggeston would be to first look at the strings..they will change far faster than the guitar will. When the tension in the strings start to go the neck will naturally straighten leading to the risks of choking or buzzes. I f you think about it, you are always fighting a battle against your strings; they stretch, you tune. To prove this, how many times have you had to tune your guitar down to get it into concert? If I were you the first thing would be to change the strings and then see what happens....oh yes, and put something on that is pretty 'neutral' i.e. D'Adario 12's.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”