Framus ‘Billy Lorento’ 5/120 semi hollow guitar

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

BRC

Framus ‘Billy Lorento’ 5/120 semi hollow guitar

Postby BRC » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:31 am

I am trying to track more information about a Framus six string semi-solid guitar owned by a friend in Germany.
The information he has been able to provide is as follows:It is a ‘Billy Lorento’, model number 5/ 120 Serial Nr. 52200 Stamped details: 60K - that appears to indicate it was built in August 1960. The guitar is in very good condition.
He acquired the guitar in 1962 from an American GI who was also a guitarist in a big band that played in various places in Germany.
I have been in contact with Framus, in Germany, but they seem to be very vague about the guitars heritage - a little surprising, though the company has changed hands since the original guitars were made.

If anyone has any information, including likely value I should be grateful for that. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Brad

BRC

Re: Framus ‘Billy Lorento’ 5/120 semi hollow guitar

Postby BRC » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Since I first posted this I have found this information http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/modells/instruments.php?katID=4627&instrumentID=3760&modellID=467&cl=EN on the current Framus site. A caveat to that is a line sited on Wikipedia
Many aspects of the history of Framus are still in the dark. This is due to the bankruptcy of the company when almost the whole archives were lost.

Taking the approx original cost in 1960 as 450Dm - about £150 - that would give an approximate current price of just under £3,400. Not an inconsiderable sum even by today’s values.

I am not trying to sell this guitar, though my friend is interested in finding out a realistic value. He contacted a German ‘collector’ who said he wouldn’t pay more than 159Euro. That, I would suggest, is being somewhat cheeky and an attempt to trick. I understand modem Framus guitars might not be worth a lot due to their inferior quality compared to the early 1960s models. This particular guitar is in very good condition and I have even played it about 10 years ago, after restringing for probably the first time in many a year! It has a very comfortable action.

I have asked my friend if he can remember the name of the GI he bought the instrument from but, alas, after 57 years have passed, can’t.

I should be grateful if anyone has any further information on the guitar to post here or even send me a personal message - PM.

Thank you in anticipation of a memory here or there being jogged.

Kind regards
Brad

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:21 pm

Hi Brad,

No doubt you have already seen this example of a Framus Billy Lorento 60H (August 1960) for sale online, but I thought I would post it just in case you have missed it.

https://german-vintage-guitar.com/en/in ... nline-1960

Best,

Roger

BRC

Postby BRC » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 am

Thank you so much for that Roger.

I have passed the link on to my friend to show him that he should not settle for so little as €150 that a collector suggested, if he decides to sell. It is not a big issue at the moment as he is content to keep the guitar but, like all of us, he is not getting any younger and none of his two boys or grandchildren seem interested in learning guitar. That means, possibly, some time in the future selling the guitar.

Like everything in life it will depend on how much somebody wants something when considering how much they are willing to pay.

I thought that I had hit a brick wall on this one, so a very big thank you, Roger, for your response. I shall still keep researching, though you have helped a great deal in trying to find out more on the guitar. More than happy if anyone else can contribute more on this ... information, that is.

Kind regards
Brad

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”