Bramall Hall, Stockport

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

David

Bramall Hall, Stockport

Postby David » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi Gordon,

Commitments mean we haven’t been able to get to one of your concerts since Barton in June! So we have really been looking forward to Wednesday at Bramall Hall … for ages!

We understand why the Secret Valentine guitar is getting plenty of attention, and would be fascinated to hear it, but any chance the Fylde might get an outing this Wednesday? We love the sound of 12-strings and your comments about the Fylde make it even more tempting!
sincerely,

Christine & David

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:09 pm

Hello Both.

Yep, what a great idea! I think I shall play Maddie Goes West on the new FYLDE,it's perfect for the piece. We look forward to seeing you both again.

Sincere and Warm Regards.

Gordon.

David

Postby David » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:47 am

Dear Gordon,

Super news, thank you very much! And a great choice, Maddie Goes West, one of Chris's favourites.

Now we're looking forward to Wednesday even more than before!
sincerely,

Christine & David

David

Postby David » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:30 am

Another great evening!

Thank you so much Gordon & Hilary.

Of course it was the usual tour de force of guitar playing, and there were some old favourites throughout, but seasonal spice came in the nature of some new pieces too. And what a super venue. A beautiful building, decked out tastefully for the season, and staffed by gentle and obliging folk. The mulled wine and mince pie just served to enhance the seasonal cheer felt by all.

For us personally, having requested the Fylde 12 string make its debut, the evening started superbly when we walked in to see the guitar, propped up high at the back, ready for action. How excellent was that? Symptomatic of a performer whose relationship with his audience is second to none. A relationship that blossomed through the evening as Gordon chatted readily and easily with friends and strangers alike; signed CDs, refusing to rush despite the impressive queue, and thus keeping him from his own mulled wine. And then almost filling the second half with the many requests, (including a second rendition of Maddie Goes West on the 12 string - thank you!).

All the guitars were newly strung for the evening, and we appreciated Gordon burning the midnight oil to do this when we heard the freshness of the tone. The new 12 string more than justified the positive comments Gordon had made about it on the website, lovely sound, rich and full in that special 12 string way. But the baritone still has a special place for us, reminiscent of a time long ago.

Old favourites were spiced up with little extras here and there, just enough to freshen without threatening to distort. Rainbow Kites, The Lord’s Seat, and that wonderful toe-tapper, Appalachian Dreaming, were all performed as only Gordon can. For those of us with much of Gordon on vinyl, Roots was a super reminder of times long ago. On Camber Sands was as evocative as ever; Lucifer’s Cage, always one to stir the blood, was performed with a real passion. If anyone in the audience had any doubts about the enjoyment Gordon has of playing the guitar for us, it would have been swept away by Lucifer!

And of the new tunes, By Angle Tarn had its first public performance and was well-received by an appreciative and knowledgeable audience, and Simply Margaret was enjoyed all the more for knowing it was Margaret’s birthday. As ever the tunes were interspersed with Gordon’s endearing style of relaxed chat, including many new anecdotes, such as the tragedy of the potato processor.

As usual when leaving one of Gordon’s evenings, we took to the night thinking, “What a great time, and what a super couple!”

Thank you.
sincerely,

Christine & David

John Adams

Bramhall Hall

Postby John Adams » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:02 am

What more can I say! An excellent review on an excellent concert! A warm welcome on a freezing cold evening, The Lords Seat seemed to have so much depth and be so appropriate in such an old building, we got to see and hear the new 12 string Fylde, hear new material from a great new CD (Secret Valentine) and many old favourites (some played twice by popular demand!) As always, time ran out and we had to go home despite wanting more but at least we had our own copy of Secret Valentine to listen to!

GORDON
Site Admin

THANKS TO ALL OUR FRIENDS IN 2007.

Postby GORDON » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:40 am

A big THANKYOU to Christine, David, John, Pauline, Oliver, Ruth, Ruth's folks, Fran, Brian,and EVERYONE who attended my final solo concert of 2007, and for making it equally as special for me, as I hopefully made it for them.

Christmas for Hilary and I starts with Bramall at the end of each year, and God willing,this will continue as long as good health and good fortune, whatever form it takes continues to smile on us. We wish you all a wonderful and peaceful Christmas and an equally good new year.

While I'm writing this I would also like to thank SUE HOLTON(and Mike) for continuing to do such a fabulous job of running this website, as well as adding material to YOUTUBE and the MYSPACE page , which my dear pal Russ Gannicott created,so my thanks go to him also.

There are SO many people to thank for making this year a rather special one with the release of two albums plus of course my Guitar Maestros DVD, and of course my upcoming album with Rick Wakeman for 2008.

Be Well all, much love from Gordon and Hilary.

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:43 pm

Thanks Gordon, your kind words are much appreciated. In truth, you make it very easy for us all to be fans. It's not just the fantastic music, but the time and effort you put into adding that extra personal touch, by chatting to us all at the gigs and replying to our posts on this site. You are a true gentleman.

Merry Christmas to you and Hilary and I wish you a very prosperous New Year.

Best regards,

Mick

p.s. see you in Shoreham, next March!

linda

Postby linda » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:58 pm

David wrote:Another great evening!

Thank you so much Gordon & Hilary.

..... and thanks for the account of what sounds like a great evening at Bramall Hall. I should have been there too, because I had been treated to the concert for Christmas. I was so looking forward to it.........until I got shingles! :x

I apologise if I've posted in the wrong place - Sue, feel free to move it, if you want to - as it is also part introduction and hello from a newbie. I ferretted to see if I could find out how things went. It sounds as though it was a great evening and I so wish I could have been with you.

I've been a fan ever since I heard Lucifer's Cage years ago on a sampler album. I was at a Ray Burley concert a couple of months ago and spotted the listing at Bramhall and was so pleased at the thought of being at a live event.

Alas, not to be. I was in too much pain - and anyway, I thought that spreading the pestilence would not have been appreciated. :)

Maybe next time...

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi Linda,
welcome to the board. We're a pretty friendly bunch.. :)

Your posting is just fine where it is - we don't really mind where you post - it just makes it easier for people if similar topics are vaguely together !!

Sorry to hear you had to miss the gig - hope your health soon improves and you can get to another venue before long.

Have a great Christmas, and a Happy ( and Healthy ) New Year filled with wonderful music - and the same to all you other GG "anoraks" out there too... :D
Sue

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”