Vintage VE2000GG 12 string - Four Years on

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

BRC

Vintage VE2000GG 12 string - Four Years on

Postby BRC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:02 pm

I checked in on the forum yesterday and found that my original post of 'Vintage VE2000GG 12 string - my experience', posted on 5th February 2014, has gone passed the 25,000 views mark. I am astounded.

That got to me to thinking, inquisitively, on just how many who have read that review, and the ensuing contributions, and then made the leap to buy/acquire one (or more) of this model guitar..

Although not quite reached 4 years since I received my VE2000GG 12 string - just over a week to go for that event - I am still very much delighted with the guitar. I don't play it everyday as, for me, a 12 string is an occasional use instrument for specific songs or to help fill out the sound where it is the only guitar being used on a song that requires such accompaniment. Having said that it was used for most of the annual music event, which I participate in each year, in the July 2017 festivity. The guitar was, as ever, well received by the audience, which is always a good measure of the quality. I haven't changed my original opinion and still consider this an exceptional value for money and a quality instrument.

I haven't changed the strings since that occasion, however feel a birthday present (for the guitar) should be a new set of D'Addario light strings - they seem to compliment the guitar perfectly.

I should be grateful if those who can answer positively to my pondering in the 2nd paragraph above could contribute comments on their experience.

Kind regards to all - and belated Happy New Year for 2018
Brad

Oldbones

Re: Vintage VE2000GG 12 string - Four Years on

Postby Oldbones » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi again Brad, I'm back in the forum after a significant break. Following my wife's death in December 2016, I've been in the midst of the long process of sorting out, selling up, moving and then organising he renovation of a bungalow near to where my daughter and her family live. I hope to be moving in by Easter when I can get out of storage the bulk of my guitars that I consigned to the gentle care of GB Liners.

The reason for this reply is to see if you have anything else to add to your thoughts and opinions about the VE2000GG-12. Has it proved to be as stable as you hoped and do you keep it down-tuned by a whole tone as Gordon recommends? I currently have a glorious Taylor 562ce 12th fret 12 string and, as you may recall, already have experience of the Vintage VE8000PB-12 but find that tracking down players' use or opinions of the GG model to be very difficult. As far as I can see, only PB's demo of the GG are on Youtube .... not even any by Gordon himself nor by others. If you know of any, can you let me know?

As a longtime fan of 12s I find this rather strange especially as everything would suggest that the GG-12 would be a superb addition to this type of guitar.
It isn't how fast you can play that counts - it's that you only play as fast as you need to play that is important.
Silence can be as eloquent as sound.

BRC

Postby BRC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Welcome back Oldbones.

The stability of the VE2000GG 12 string is absolutely fine. In fact the original purchase - the one that suffered a dislocated neck - is still going strong with my eldest son, having had a superb repair job done on that. My own stability, now that is an entirely different matter.

I am more than pleased with the guitar and used it quite a good deal during our annual music event in July last year and have had some very complimentary comments on the sound (more the guitar than me I suspect). The price was right for the VE2000GG 12, the tone was/is right and, probably, if money was not a constraining issue may have looked at other 12 strings. As I said in the original review of the guitar, I tried other much more expensive guitars - many times more expensive - and concluded this represented good value for money without compromising on tone, playability or quality. I can’t remember which Taylor models I have tried but, no doubt, would have also found it ‘glorious’ - not quite sure my bank account would have. As you have probably found over the years you will have found guitars that just have to be played, and then paid for. Hopefully you get your collection back in to your hands very soon to get back to enjoying that side of life.

If you haven’t already read my review of the Voyage Air VAD04 you might find that interesting. I thought of you when writing it. I used mine today at an away from home rehearsal and being able to fold it up, put it in the small boot of my car, get to the other end and unfold is a joy, and ever more so for the fact it is a quality instrument with a full tone, rather than the limited range of most other travel guitars.

Down here in Kent, where I live, we had over 20cms of snow in the recent ‘Beast from the East’ episode and was something I expected to give my arthritis in the left hand added power. However, oddly enough it didn’t have any effect ... except on my left knee which has taken over the’pain centre’. Fortunately I only rest the guitars on that, not play with it.

Kind regards
Brad

Oldbones

Postby Oldbones » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Just read your excellent and detailed review of the Voyage Air VAD04.

I posted a reply with links to a couple of Youtube uploads which I'm sure you'll be familiar with - but others may not.

If ever you think of taking a guitar abroad by plane and assume it will be OK ...... then take note of what happened to the Taylor guitar in these videos.
It isn't how fast you can play that counts - it's that you only play as fast as you need to play that is important.
Silence can be as eloquent as sound.

BRC

Postby BRC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:22 am

Oldbones,

Interesting videos! Tom Paxton wrote ‘Thank You Republic Airlines’ around 1983, maybe a little earlier, and, in notes on the song, indicated that Republic Ailines had gone out of business. Your reply prompted me to do a little bit of research from which I found that Republic Airlines is now part of United Airlines. It would seem from the song links you gave that they have decided to continue the guitar handling customer service in much the same way.

Here is a link to the Tom Paxton song - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mwV8ozElNjk

I suppose I should have placed this information under my VAD04 posting but as it was my VE2000GG 12 that suffered the broken neck (I can blame no one but myself for that one) here is appropriate.

Incidentally, I haven’t taken my VAD04 on an airplane yet, however having it in the boot of my car with a fair bit of other junk - sorry, equipment - the other day it gave a very good approximation of how it will fit in to an aircraft overhead storage bin. Seems fine and the case gives very good protection.

I wonder if anyone else reading this has had any guitar ‘malfunction’ stories to relate and, maybe, start a new thread. I feel sure Gordon must have a tale or two to relate, when time permits.

Kind regards
Brad

ocheye

Postby ocheye » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:37 am

I have a VE2000GG 12 string and gig with it regularly. I also have a Fylde 12 string Alchemist. Unfortunately, as a solo artist, I daren't leave the Fylde unattended as it is too valuable so it rarely gets used. My Vintage did have a problem that manifested itself shortly after I bought it secondhand - the bridge started to lift. This was immediately attended to by a local luthier and has not given any problems at all since.
Since I have owned it I have always had the strings detuned by a full tone. I really do like this guitar. It is reminiscent of a Seagull 12 that I owned years ago but has a much more sophisticated pickup arrangement. I have also recently acquired a secondhand Bose L1 PA and a new Bose S1 Pro which is amazing and the Vintage sounds glorious through both systems.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”