Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

User avatar
Tom McCauley
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 am
Location: Melton Mowbray
Contact:

Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Tom McCauley » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:09 am

I've been suggested that I do another show about Gordon's music! So I took that into consideration. Thanks to those who suggested the idea! I'll have the show up within the next hour!

Look out for it!! I hope you like the pieces I've selected ;)


Tom
Tom McCauley

User avatar
Tom McCauley
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 am
Location: Melton Mowbray
Contact:

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Tom McCauley » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:41 am

You can listen to the show via the following link: https://www.mixcloud.com/tom-mccauley/t ... how-15316/
Tom McCauley

User avatar
piotrwargan
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:48 pm
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Contact:

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby piotrwargan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Good work Tom! Tunes in a selection are always good to hear, and your selection supports what was said in another thread: Gordon's tunes - both those with a band and solo - are a real treat.

User avatar
Roger
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Southsea

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Roger » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Nice work Tom :D
If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.

User avatar
Tom McCauley
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 am
Location: Melton Mowbray
Contact:

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Tom McCauley » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:42 pm

piotrwargan wrote:Good work Tom! Tunes in a selection are always good to hear, and your selection supports what was said in another thread: Gordon's tunes - both those with a band and solo - are a real treat.


I very much agree! He has done some great work!!
Tom McCauley

User avatar
Tom McCauley
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 am
Location: Melton Mowbray
Contact:

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Tom McCauley » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:42 pm

Roger wrote:Nice work Tom :D


Hi Roger,

Cheers! Much appreciated :)

Tom
Tom McCauley

Trevor Raggatt
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Middlesex
Contact:

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Tom,

What a cracking listen! Great selection of tracks too. Awakenings/Robes & Growns - Appalachial Dreaming - On Camber Sands - Heartsong - Is This The Last Song I Write... nice!

Of course, it got me musing too on how I might boilsome of my fave Giltrap moments down to a half hour radio show. So here's my personal track list... but it was so hard choosing those to leave out. How can you do Gordon justice in just 30 minutes!

Fear of The Dark (Single Version) - Fear of the Dark
Down the River - A Matter of Time, Gordon Giltrap and Martin Taylor
On Camber Sands - Troubadour
The Lord's Seat - Troubadour
A Christmas Carol - Double Vision, Gordon Giltrap and Raymond Burley
Sallie's Song (live) - Drifter bonus disc/Live at the Countess of Huntingdon Hall
A Dublin Day - Troubadour
Headwind, The Eagle - Peacock Party.

And for those who are "down with the kids" and all the modern technology malarky here's a Spotify playlist of the tracks (although I did have to cheat with a couple of the versions as those albums weren't available). Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/user/111662826 ... LSO9XRwkDd

User avatar
Tom McCauley
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 am
Location: Melton Mowbray
Contact:

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Tom McCauley » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:28 pm

Trevor Raggatt wrote:Tom,

What a cracking listen! Great selection of tracks too. Awakenings/Robes & Growns - Appalachial Dreaming - On Camber Sands - Heartsong - Is This The Last Song I Write... nice!

Of course, it got me musing too on how I might boilsome of my fave Giltrap moments down to a half hour radio show. So here's my personal track list... but it was so hard choosing those to leave out. How can you do Gordon justice in just 30 minutes!

Fear of The Dark (Single Version) - Fear of the Dark
Down the River - A Matter of Time, Gordon Giltrap and Martin Taylor
On Camber Sands - Troubadour
The Lord's Seat - Troubadour
A Christmas Carol - Double Vision, Gordon Giltrap and Raymond Burley
Sallie's Song (live) - Drifter bonus disc/Live at the Countess of Huntingdon Hall
A Dublin Day - Troubadour
Headwind, The Eagle - Peacock Party.

And for those who are "down with the kids" and all the modern technology malarky here's a Spotify playlist of the tracks (although I did have to cheat with a couple of the versions as those albums weren't available). Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/user/111662826 ... LSO9XRwkDd


Hi Trevor!

Great! I'm liking the sound of these! Will mention these when I next do a GG special. Thank you for your compliments too! Much appreciated!

Regards,
Tom
Tom McCauley

User avatar
Roger
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Southsea

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Roger » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:49 pm

Trevor Raggatt wrote:Tom,

What a cracking listen! Great selection of tracks too. Awakenings/Robes & Growns - Appalachial Dreaming - On Camber Sands - Heartsong - Is This The Last Song I Write... nice!

Of course, it got me musing too on how I might boilsome of my fave Giltrap moments down to a half hour radio show. So here's my personal track list... but it was so hard choosing those to leave out. How can you do Gordon justice in just 30 minutes!

Fear of The Dark (Single Version) - Fear of the Dark
Down the River - A Matter of Time, Gordon Giltrap and Martin Taylor
On Camber Sands - Troubadour
The Lord's Seat - Troubadour
A Christmas Carol - Double Vision, Gordon Giltrap and Raymond Burley
Sallie's Song (live) - Drifter bonus disc/Live at the Countess of Huntingdon Hall
A Dublin Day - Troubadour
Headwind, The Eagle - Peacock Party.

And for those who are "down with the kids" and all the modern technology malarky here's a Spotify playlist of the tracks (although I did have to cheat with a couple of the versions as those albums weren't available). Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/user/111662826 ... LSO9XRwkDd

Trevor,

I agree with you about FoTD (single), Sallie's Song - had the pleasure of seeing Gordon perform this live on the JB doubleneck at Fareham - and On Camber Sands (Captured from a Point in Time). My choices would also include Under This Blue Sky (Captured from a Point in Time), Em's Tune (Shining Morn), Fast Approaching (FoTD) and Lucifer's Cage (As it Happens). I think I can just about squeeze in Mrs Singer's Waltz (Drifter) and God save the Queen (As it Happens). I include the last track because when I mention Gordon to people they assume that he is solely an acoustic guitarist - this track disproves that misconception, as does the his brilliant work on the FoTD album and more recently Ravens and Lullabies :D
If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.

User avatar
Roger USA
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:50 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Roger USA » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:07 am

Trevor Raggatt wrote:Tom,

What a cracking listen! Great selection of tracks too. Awakenings/Robes & Growns - Appalachial Dreaming - On Camber Sands - Heartsong - Is This The Last Song I Write... nice!

Of course, it got me musing too on how I might boilsome of my fave Giltrap moments down to a half hour radio show. So here's my personal track list... but it was so hard choosing those to leave out. How can you do Gordon justice in just 30 minutes!

Fear of The Dark (Single Version) - Fear of the Dark
Down the River - A Matter of Time, Gordon Giltrap and Martin Taylor
On Camber Sands - Troubadour
The Lord's Seat - Troubadour
A Christmas Carol - Double Vision, Gordon Giltrap and Raymond Burley
Sallie's Song (live) - Drifter bonus disc/Live at the Countess of Huntingdon Hall
A Dublin Day - Troubadour
Headwind, The Eagle - Peacock Party.

And for those who are "down with the kids" and all the modern technology malarky here's a Spotify playlist of the tracks (although I did have to cheat with a couple of the versions as those albums weren't available). Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/user/111662826 ... LSO9XRwkDd


I agree with most of this list except I would sub the Troubadour version of Down The River. Then, like Roger, I thought I would have to squeeze in Under This Blue Sky. I wanted to add Appalachian Dreaming (from the Drifter bonus CD) and.......well quite a few others. I then thought OK so what would I take out to make room? Gordon Giltrap condensed into 30 minutes is no easy task!

All The Best,

Roger

User avatar
Tom McCauley
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 am
Location: Melton Mowbray
Contact:

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:52 pm

There was 1 special I did that was about an hour and a bit long.... I think it was the previous one to this special. I'll have to find it and dig it out and put a link up on here.
Tom McCauley

User avatar
Tom McCauley
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 am
Location: Melton Mowbray
Contact:

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:54 pm

Here's the other two parts for you to enjoy:

Here's the 1st part: https://www.mixcloud.com/tom-mccauley/t ... n-giltrap/ (a 30 minute show)

Here's part two; https://www.mixcloud.com/tom-mccauley/t ... al-part-2/ (a 62 minute show)

Apologies some parts won't play in certain countries, this concerns those in the USA.
Last edited by Tom McCauley on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom McCauley

User avatar
piotrwargan
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:48 pm
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Contact:

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby piotrwargan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:24 am

Hello Tom,

Great show :-). (I have just finished listening to Part 2)

Bye,

Piotr

User avatar
Roger USA
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:50 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Roger USA » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Tom McCauley wrote:Here's the other two parts for you to enjoy:

Here's the 1st part: https://www.mixcloud.com/tom-mccauley/t ... n-giltrap/ (a 30 minute show)

Here's part two; https://www.mixcloud.com/tom-mccauley/t ... al-part-2/ (a 62 minute show)


Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting - I could actually play part one! Part two and the previous part you posted come up as "unavailable in your country" or "unavailable due to licensing restrictions.", but part one played! Good show - thanks.

All The Best,

Roger

User avatar
Tom McCauley
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:22 am
Location: Melton Mowbray
Contact:

Re: Tom McCauley's Gordon Giltrap Show

Postby Tom McCauley » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:21 am

Roger USA wrote:
Tom McCauley wrote:Here's the other two parts for you to enjoy:

Here's the 1st part: https://www.mixcloud.com/tom-mccauley/t ... n-giltrap/ (a 30 minute show)

Here's part two; https://www.mixcloud.com/tom-mccauley/t ... al-part-2/ (a 62 minute show)


Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting - I could actually play part one! Part two and the previous part you posted come up as "unavailable in your country" or "unavailable due to licensing restrictions.", but part one played! Good show - thanks.

All The Best,

Roger



Hi Roger,

Sorry to hear my other parts couldn't be played. I'm glad to hear part 1 was played though. Thanks for letting me know. I was aware at the bottom of the upload there might have been problems streaming the last two parts in certain places. The restrictions that was mentioned was in your country. I apologise for the late reply but I was busy doing other things yesterday so only have had the chance now to reply. I will see what went wrong with parts 2 & 3. It must of been the choices I selected.

Regards,
Tom
Tom McCauley


Return to “Gordon's Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests