Dodo's Dream

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

piotrwargan

Re: Dodo's Dream

Postby piotrwargan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:21 am

steve wrote:
Does anyone else here ever feel the urge to push Gordon's music to fresh ears elsewhere? I'm a member of a very large online music forum and I keep purposefully dropping the names of Gordon's albums everywhere in the hope that someone will bite!
[/quote]

You are certainly not alone in this quest, Steve :-) And - from my perspective - I can say that they do bite in my country, oh yes (take a look, please, at the posts about Polish National Radio 3 playing Gordon and Oliver).

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:27 pm

steve wrote:
I think the "difficult" part of its reception might have been in part due to the fact that it has a real folk roots feel to it compared to the "prog rock" style of its predecessors. I've read elsewhere about the jazzy stylings too. Jazz? What are they talking about it?...

...Does anyone else here ever feel the urge to push Gordon's music to fresh ears elsewhere? I'm a member of a very large online music forum and I keep purposefully dropping the names of Gordon's albums everywhere in the hope that someone will bite!

:D I was listening to PP the other day on the train and thought, "I'd forgotten just how country some of Gordon's picking is on it" - meaning in its rootsy context rather than in the Nashville "tassles and stetsons" context.

There is some picking that wouldn't be out of place on a Jerry Donahue album!

And yes, always happy to throw in a Giltrap reference. And since I'm a huge fan of the Wal bass guitars pioneered by Gordon's two main bassists John G Perry and John Gustafson I'm always recommending that those interested in them to have a listen to some GG Band stuff.

http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/wal-of-sound.html 8)

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:25 am

Ok, so I'm not known for being fickle, but I've just found a new favourite version of Dodo. It is on the live CD "As It Happens" which I have just bought. It is the first version as Gordon plays it twice at the concert, once in its more usual spot before the interval and again at the end where he goes into the making of it a bit more and performs the whole thing again!

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Andrew,

We were at that Dorchester gig and a great one it was too!

Roger :D

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:32 am

Roger wrote:Andrew,

We were at that Dorchester gig and a great one it was too!

Roger :D

I know! You get a mention! :) :)

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:02 pm

Andrew,

Yes it was very kind of Gordon to give us a mention, particularly as he had quite a few family members there. All in all it was a great weekend which will stay in my memory for a long time :D

Roger

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Tue May 17, 2016 8:57 am

I was playing Dodo's Dream this morning: https://www.mixcloud.com/tom-mccauley/t ... fast-show/

Dodo's Dream can be found here: https://www.mixcloud.com/tom-mccauley/d ... ey-on-scr/
Tom McCauley

ElMystico

Postby ElMystico » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:01 pm

I have always adored the original recording. I thought it (and Black Rose) were the standout tracks on Peacock Party.
I saw him do his live version with loops at a Rick Wakeman concert, and it utterly blew me away; brought tears to my eyes.
To listen to, I still prefer the original.
But I'd love to see him perform the loop version again.

diffidus

Postby diffidus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm

So much music these days seems to be written as something that is to be listened to in the background, while the listener performs some other task.

That was the great thing about the prog rock era in the 1970's. I would put a vinyl album on the turn-table, lower the stylus and then just sit back and let the music take me away someplace.

'Dodo's Dream' is in this category. Whenever I listen to it, I just lie back and let the music's hypnotic sound seduce me into a state of pure relaxation - glorious!

diffidus

Postby diffidus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:08 pm

I was just watching YouTube, where Gordon play's Dodo's dream and shows how he creates the sound using looping techniques. It sounds better to me than the recorded version on the album (if that could be possible). What I was wondering, however, is who is Dodo?
Anyone?

Diffidus

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi Diffidus,
the Dodo and other tracks on Gordon's Peacock Party album are characters from the Peacock Party book.....

'In 1979 the album “The Peacock Party” was released on the PVK label. The tunes by Gordon are based on characters from the book "The Peacock Party" written by George E Ryder and illustrated by Alan Aldridge. This was a sequel to the somewhat better known "Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast". Aldridge designed many well-known covers for rock albums in the 1970s including "Captain Fantastic and The Dirt Brown Cowboy" for Elton John.'

Check it out in the discography section,
Sue
GG webmaster

Return to “Gordon's Music”