Announcement Sept 2015

Moderator: GORDON

Sue
Site Admin

Announcement Sept 2015

Postby Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:50 am

Hello Everyone.

I thought I should let friends and followers of my music know that on the 11th of June this year I was diagnosed with a rare cancer called a GIST, which stands for Gastro Intestinal Stromal Tumour.

Fortunately for me it is not at this time life threatening and hopefully will be sorted by surgery either later this year or early next. After surgery I will require at least a three month recovery period.

This news has of course been life changing for Hilary and I, and I have just been put on a three to six month course of tablets to shrink the tumour to help make surgery less invasive. The tumour at the moment is basically the size of a small melon.

To that end I have decided, for the time being at least not to accept any more engagements for 2016. Fortunately I have been able to continue with the engagements already in the book, however to all intents and purposes I have (for now) retired from the live arena.

I’m going public with this not to elicit sympathy but to really let you know how things stand at the moment and why there are no bookings being arranged. As I mentioned earlier, fortunately what I have is not life threatening and I consider myself very fortunate indeed that it has been detected.

Because of the present situation, Hilary and I are taking things a week or so at a time, making it incredibly difficult to make any long term plans.

I hope you will understand that if you are moved to send a message (which of course will be gratefully received) I won’t be able to reply to everyone. You can leave any messages on my Forum here.

Please watch the website for further updates.

Be Well.

Gordon.
GG webmaster

piotrwargan

Re: Announcement Sept 2015

Postby piotrwargan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Dear Gordon,

Let it all be well. Our thoughts are with you and Hilary.

XXX Piotr and Ania

Johnty8

Postby Johnty8 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:30 pm

All the very best Gordon and Hilary

John and Paige xx

BRC

Postby BRC » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Having returned from holiday yesterday evening I wanted to catch-up on the forum and taken aback by your announcement.

Please accept my, and all of those I have introduced to your music, very best wishes for a succesful recovery. We can wait for the next performance until such time as you are fit and feeling up to that.

Be positive as I am sure you have many thousands of fans and friends 'rooting' for you.

Kind regards
Brad

Richie

Postby Richie » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Dear Gordon, so sorry to hear that you have this problem, which I am sure you will over come. You are indeed a brave man to share this problem with your fans so we understand and my and Sheila's thoughts will be with you and Hilary at this time. As you are always telling us "be well" it is now your turn to be well. We will miss you on the live arena but your health and well being is more important. Hears to a speedy recovery and we will see you again of this I am sure. God Bless.

TimH

Postby TimH » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Hi Gordon
Very brave of you to share this news and a great example of taking a positive attitude to facing it head on and not hiding it away from the world. Inspiration for us all should we find ourselves in a similar situation. Please take strength from the good wishes of all of us who love you and your music in equal measure - looking forward to seeing you back to full health on stage in 2016 sometime, as I'm sure you will be.

Best wishes from Nina, Charlie and me.
Tim H

Kenny Tregenza

Postby Kenny Tregenza » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi Gordon,

Having just read your announcement regarding your health, I want to share with you the story of the last 15 months of my life. I do this in the hope that you can draw strength and comfort from it - I truly hope you can.

In June 2014, just before my 50th birthday, I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. This then became kidney and ureter cancer. The kidney etc was removed at the end of August 2014. I had a couple of bits that cropped up again earlier this year, another couple of small ops and finally last week I was given the all clear. My partner and I are flying to the North of Ibiza tonight for a well deserved week of peace.

There were dark times, especially when I went in for my 6 month check in Feb 2015 and found I had some regrowth in the bladder.

But during those times, I was lucky enough to have met a lady (an old friend's wife) who had been through the same thing, 6 months before me. She encouraged me to talk abut how I felt. Not really my thing....but..

I even felt weird abut asking her how she was, in case she had bad news and I had good news.

The best thing I did was to talk about it, it removes the power it has over you.

I will be taking some of your music with me to Ibiza, and will be thinking of you when I listen to it.

I think I can actually RENT a guitar while I am over there, so if I can, I surely will.

One thing it taught me - do what you enjoy!! So I am back playing in a band. We did a gig for Cornwall hospice Care recently at Falmouth Pavillions and raised several thousand pounds for them.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I know you probably don't remember me, one guy at one tiny gig in Cornwall, but should you ever need an ear, you have mine. Any time.

Tel 0797 111 4357.

Very best wishes

Kenny

Colin Welfare

Postby Colin Welfare » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Semi retirement huh? What a good idea, sorry it seems to have been forced on you though. Hope they get on with your treatment and get you onto the road to recovery soon.

Been difficult to keep this quiet but I managed it, glad you have gone public. All the old Deptford friends know and join Jill & myself in wishing you a speedy recovery.

All our love and best wishes, Colin & that 'Raver' Jill xx
Colin & Jill

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi Gordon & Hilary,

The absence of your music and wit from the live arena will make the world, temporarily, a less entertaining place.

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way and here's hoping for a complete and speedy recovery.

Ethan sends his own "Get well soon Gordon!"

Thinking of you both,

Love,

Roger, Shannon, Austin and Ethan

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi Gordon,

Both Fiona and I are pleased that you were able to share your travails with the rest of your forum. Inspirational advice and supportive messages will, I feel sure, help to strengthen you and enable you to overcome your burden.

As ever, both you and Hilary are in our thoughts and prayers. See you at Gedling.

Keith & Fiona x x x

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:04 pm

Thoughts and prayers my dear friend...

... and 92 (so far!) positive comments on your Facebook Page. :)

You are well-loved - not just for your music, but also because of the person you are.
The older I get, the better I used to be

David Paul Robson

Postby David Paul Robson » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:04 pm

I would just like to (in a nice way) reiterate the thoughts and posts above.

Very best wishes Gordan and good luck on your new journey.

Nothing like the testimony of others who have recovered....

See you in the spring Brother..

kevin

Postby kevin » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:16 pm

just read this Gordon.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Stay strong, I, like many, many, others, will be thinking of you.
Kevin

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:28 pm

G & H,

Our thoughts are with you both. We're sure that the support of your family, friends and of course many fans will help you through this.

Love and best wishes,

Roger & Em x

Simon the Angel

Postby Simon the Angel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi Gordon,

So sorry to hear your news, what a bummer.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer back on 1st April of all days. So trust me I know what it's like to be told this news. Like yours mine is not considered life threatening as it localised aggressive prostate cancer but it hasn't got to my lymph nodes nor dem bones.

A really good friend of mine said these words to me and they knocked me for six.

"accept whatever comes with positivity and strength" wise words from my friend Melanie.

You need the love and support from all your friends and I know you have quite a few, you have us lot for a start !

You have an amazing and loving wife Gordon, it is difficult very difficult sometimes, but a number of people have said to me that being positive is a must and I'm certain that Hilary and your family and close friends and us lot, will help you get through it.

My singing plans for the autumn and winter are on track but I sincerely hope that my PC doesn't stop me from doing what I love, that's making music happen. In fact Consensio are putting on a concert at St Mary's Church in Banbury on 3rd October.Ask Ray Burley what it's like..I shared the stage with this man at a 'Help For Heroes' charity gig there he played one of your pieces old age and old age means I can't remember what it was but I do it was your Visionary album !

Let us in Consensio sing acappella to you and Hilary, Gordon !!!! We also have duets and solos(one by moi) This venue is totally amazing. we've sung there before and have always been well received. early acappella Tallis etc as well as more contempory ones like John Tavener, Eric Whitacre. Eleanor is a superb poetry reader as well as one of our tenors. Rey Lear is a fellow 1st bass but also plays the acoustic guitar brilliantly and is a fan of yours!

The concert is entitled "Singing Out The Summer"

Gordon be strong and pray, it won't hurt especially if the big man is listening which he always does !

Look forward to seeing you...maybe when you visit Banbury ????

Kindest Regards

Simon the Angel
the one from Mollington ! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Simon the Angel on Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Newsflash from Gordon Sept 2015”