Revelation

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

piotrwargan

Revelation

Postby piotrwargan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Hello,

"Revelation" has a special place in my memory - it was one of the tunes that have stayed with me since the first time I heard it back in 1981. I am aware of several versions of Revelation with the flute, the "vocal chords" or the saxophone creating different atmosphere on each of them. So far, I think that have heard 3 different versions: the original version from the Visionary the version from The Band Live 1981 and the one from The River Sessions. I know that it was also recorded on the Live at the BBC cd.

I really cannot say which would be my favourite one (I just love to listen to each of them).

Maybe you have your favourite version of Revelation?

All the best,
Piotr

Roger USA

Re: Revelation

Postby Roger USA » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi Piotr,

That's a tough call. I tend to go for the first version of something I heard, because that's the one that made the initial impression, which would be the Visionary track. That said I do really like the River Sessions version - and it's longer!

Your question did prompt me to revisit The River Sessions album, which I hadn't listened to for some time. Since then I've been playing it all morning - it includes so many great versions of Gordon's songs including Inner Dream, Lucifer's Cage and I love the River Sessions version of Birds of a Feather.

All The Best,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:05 am

I haven't played that piece n YEARS,must revisit it sometime.

Be well.

G.

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:33 pm

GORDON wrote:I haven't played that piece n YEARS,must revisit it sometime.

Be well.

G.

Dear Gordon,

This would make many fans very happy (especially in one city where Revelation, Lucifer's Cage, The Echoing Green are cherished by quite a number of very lucky people).

Get well soon!

Piotr xx

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:51 pm

One more version to add to your listening list, Piotr. There's a bonus track on the Cherry Red reissue of Fear Of The Dark. "Revelation (Orchestral Version)". Not that different an arrangement to the original but some nice additional string parts. Very lush and rich sounding! Definitely worth a listen.

The version on Live At The BBC is a 10 minute medley with Lucifer's Cage. Crazy but brilliant!!!

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 am

Oh yes! Thanks Trevor, I have just put on the reissue Fear of the Dark and the bonus Revelation does sound super fine.
I must add Live at the BBC to my collection, though :-)

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:57 pm

While it's great that the BBC audio from the concerts is still available, it's such a crying shame that the TV footage no longer exists :( :cry:

It's probably the same for the FOD videos - I remember watching Gordon with his SG2000 on of all places "Tiswas", which was the start of my admiration for G and his music :D

steve

Postby steve » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:32 pm

piotrwargan wrote:Oh yes! Thanks Trevor, I have just put on the reissue Fear of the Dark and the bonus Revelation does sound super fine.
I must add Live at the BBC to my collection, though :-)

Thank you for the links, Trevor. I have just purchased my copy from the 2nd link above. I'm not sure how I've missed this one before but I sometimes confuse the BBC with other live recordings I already have. I should learn to check the track listings of each CD a little more thoroughly in future but thanks again for the pointers, I look forward to receiving and playing another Gordon album of live music.
Mirrors should think longer before they reflect ~ Jean Cocteau

Return to “Gordon's Music”