Guitar Star

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

kevin

Guitar Star

Postby kevin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:08 pm

Anyone watch Guitar Star on Sky Arts last night?
I did not understand how they could put all styles together as if they were all the same and judge the players.
Also found it a made me cringe a bit, so much so I can only stand 10 minutes at a time (recorded it)
Anymore thoughts?
Kevin

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Guitar Star

Postby GORDON » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:32 pm

kevin wrote:Anyone watch Guitar Star on Sky Arts last night?
I did not understand how they could put all styles together as if they were all the same and judge the players.
Also found it a made me cringe a bit, so much so I can only stand 10 minutes at a time (recorded it)
Anymore thoughts?
Kevin

I was told about it, and if I had seen it would certainly have commented in these pages.

What is a guitar star?

All the great players I knew and know do not use the term star when connected with their gifts.I think the term artist is far better.

Be well.

G.

kevin

Postby kevin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks Gordon, I agree "artist" is much more appropriate.
I had noticed the site has been a little quiet of late and have been looking for a suitable subject to post for a while and thought I had found something to provoke a little interest.
Perhaps many members of this site do not have Sky TV
Perhaps I need to get rid of it!
Hope you are well, (you mentioned a hospital episode in your news section)
Kevin

BRC

Postby BRC » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Kevin,

This caught my attention a week or so ago so I decided to 'have a look' - so obviously I do have Sky. Surely there can't be just you and me on this forum with that.

I try not to get hung-up on semantics though do agree with the comments on the overuse of the word 'star'. It would seem anyone who has had the briefest appearance in/on any of the media resources is now dubbed 'a star'. Perhaps I should claim that I am a star as I have appeared on TV and various radio stations. Sad to say that was all a long time ago in the 1960's and early 1970's so my star has long waned - not that I ever was - just a humble and honest performer. Enough of that.

I have watched the first two programmes and have the 3rd to catch-up on sometime over the weekend. The others are certainly interesting. I have to be honest and say that most of the heavy metal and shredding did nothing for me, no matter how clever it is technically. I have also never been able to understand the Jimmy Hendrix thing so was not enamoured with the imitating guy. Am I being too cruel?

There are some very talented other guitarists on that programme so I am looking forward to how this develops over the 3rd programme and rest that follow. Perhaps we can compare notes afterwards on this forum and conclude who truly deserves the epithet 'artist'. That could help promote further debate with others

In the meantime .....

Kind regards

Brad

kevin

Postby kevin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:10 pm

Brad you have made my day! thanks, so glad there are two of us who at least admit to watching the programme.
Although at first somewhat critical I now actually quite like it, after all its about music and guitars.

I agree about the heavy metal and shredding and congratulations for actually saying, "I have also never been able to understand the Jimmy Hendrix thing" I have thought this for years but have been afraid to say anything in case I got "slaughtered" (might provoke a reaction on here). your not cruel just brave.

Incidentally is there anything on you tube from your days as a "star"

You are right there is some talent on the show and I look forward to further discourse, this forum is too quiet.

Kind regards
Kevin

kevin

Postby kevin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:22 am

just an update on the programme. Its moving along quite nicely now, Jazz players last week, acoustic this.
A short interview with Ralph Mctell and I am pretty certain I spotted Tristan Seume in the audience. the mentors were Gabriel e Rodrigo who I have always thought were very innovative.
All in all a guitar treat as far as I am concerned.

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:02 pm

Kevin, your wish is my command! Have a look on the "Gordon's Music" section...

BRC

Postby BRC » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:44 am

Kevin,

My apologies for not responding earlier to your posting.

Life is a little busy at the moment with various activities and will be for the next 2 to 3 weeks, so I am in a 'trying to catch-up' situation at the moment. I am recording the 'Guitar Star' programmes and have only peeked at the jazz and acoustic programmes. I did however manage to sit down and watch the classical one as broadcast. I really enjoyed that and, in discussion with my wife, we judged that the two men were the better performers and agreed with the judges that Liam just shaded it as the winner. I think that, on balance, he had a bit more presence, though technically it was difficult to separate them.

In answer to your question about YouTube content, as far as I am aware there isn't anything - which is fortunate as it may disillusion me as to how good/bad I was. Besides, I think electric television had not been around long then having recently been converted from steam driven equipment. I think that you had to be mega rich to be able to afford any kind of domestic video recording gear so any visual recording was limited to Super 8 cine film and even then probably without sound, which would seem rather pointless for a musical performance. I shall live with my memories (mostly good) of those days, which always is much better than seeing and hearing the reality.

I have looked in on the various links to footage of Gordon and, sadly, can remember watching some of that when first broadcast. The 'sadly' word is only used as it reminds me far too much of how many years have passed since then. I had just as much hair as Gordon had in those days. His seems to have stayed - grey of course - whilst mine has .............

So far my comments on Jimmy Hendrix seem to have gone unnoticed, other than by you, so maybe there are others out there who agree, though reluctant to comment. I would prefer to say my view is honest rather than brave.

Better get on as I shall be falling behind with my tasks and then have to wait longer to sit down and watch properly all the 'Guitar Star' programmes. I shall catch-up and post my thoughts/views in a couple of weeks or so.

Kind regards
Brad

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:47 am

BRC wrote:Kevin,

This caught my attention a week or so ago so I decided to 'have a look' - so obviously I do have Sky. Surely there can't be just you and me on this forum with that.

I try not to get hung-up on semantics though do agree with the comments on the overuse of the word 'star'. It would seem anyone who has had the briefest appearance in/on any of the media resources is now dubbed 'a star'. Perhaps I should claim that I am a star as I have appeared on TV and various radio stations. Sad to say that was all a long time ago in the 1960's and early 1970's so my star has long waned - not that I ever was - just a humble and honest performer. Enough of that.

I have watched the first two programmes and have the 3rd to catch-up on sometime over the weekend. The others are certainly interesting. I have to be honest and say that most of the heavy metal and shredding did nothing for me, no matter how clever it is technically. I have also never been able to understand the Jimmy Hendrix thing so was not enamoured with the imitating guy. Am I being too cruel?

There are some very talented other guitarists on that programme so I am looking forward to how this develops over the 3rd programme and rest that follow. Perhaps we can compare notes afterwards on this forum and conclude who truly deserves the epithet 'artist'. That could help promote further debate with others

In the meantime .....

Kind regards

Hello Brad.

You are not alone in your opinion of Jimmy.I have always admired the man for his innovation and for the amazing tone he got, he was without doubt ahead of his time,but I never felt drawn to buying any of the albums so I guess it says it all.

I remember chatting to the great Albert Lee about Jimmy. It was he and a whole raft of guitar legends that Chas Chandler invited down to a London basement rehearsal room to meet and greet the man.Albert said that they were all there.Clapton,Townsend et all.He said they were all just sitting round chatting when suddenly this guy(Jimmy) got up, plugged in his guitar and went straight into " show mode" cavorting around, playing the guitar with his teeth the whole showman bit.Albert wasn't very impressed and just politely said his farewells and left.Albert said he just didn't get it and never did.

So you see you are not alone,but that does not in anyway shape or form detract from what Hendrix achieved with his now legendary compositions,production talents and more.It is just one of those things about art ,you either like it or you don't.I have never been moved by Mozart and when you say that to people they think your crazy." How dare you not like Mozart".

Thanks for your postings buddy.

Be well.

G.
Brad

kevin

Postby kevin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:28 pm

The series finished tonight so I thought it appropriate to give a final summary of the concept being as I am responsible for starting the thread. At least I know people are reading this even if few have commented.
The winner was a lad who basically did a lot of slapping and tapping between actually plucking the strings. I think I have said before on this site that this style is not to my taste, though to be fair he was good at what he did and many I know do like it.
Overall the programme worked for me on an entertainment level, the catalyst being one word, "guitar". I doubt I would have watched a series concerning another type of instrument.
If it is to be done again, I feel changes to the format would help, it retained the cringy element throughout. Having said this it was good to see well known people from the guitar world in a different setting, Tony Iommi, stood out for me, though all the mentors were interesting.
Any thoughts or have I put this thread to bed?

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:56 am

Hi Kevin,

would have like to watch this, but unable to sadly - interesting to read your ( and other peoples) comments though.

I know its quiet on here these days, but more people read than post so please don't let that put you off posting...

Sue
GG webmaster

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:07 am

Hi all
Thought I’d give some opinions too. Watched the whole series as anything to do with guitar and techniques used is something close to my heart. I thought the guitarist that won was excellent and I’m glad he won. I could not fault his percussive guitar and the different techniques he used were very impressive and very musical. Not the usual percussive artist that, after you’ve heard 3 pieces, becomes same-old. For me he stood out from the beginning as a natural talent. Good to see Seasick Steve go and say how impressed he was with his playing and say he wished he could play like it. All three finalists were brilliant and the skills throughout the series were excellent and I’m sure they will have futures in music. I agree that the word ‘Star’ is not correct but I suppose they wanted a snappy title for the series. I love to see where guitarists are taking the guitar playing and this showed in the series. Guitarists are pushing the boundaries, just as Gordon did, and finding techniques that enhance the guitar. I suppose Hendrix’s legacy is the knowledge that there are no limits on guitar. In the end it is down to personal choice. Music is an expression and it is how that is put across that really matters. I just hope the series continues because there are not enough guitarists out there yet :D
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

kevin

Postby kevin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi Sue,
Thanks for the encouragement, I know people find themselves here because of an interest in Gordon and his music, myself included. Furthermore other forms of social networking continue to flourish.
For me as well as being able to follow Gordon`s fortunes and the privilege of the great man actually taking an interest and joining in when he sees fit, I really enjoy the intelligent, non confrontational, atmosphere of your forum and its "sometime" (not meant to be critical),contributors.

Bob
Thanks for your views, interesting to hear what you had to say.
You are right of course, all good at what they do.
Lets hope for another series.
Incidentally, how do you do the smilies? when I try I just get two dots and a letter D

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:43 am

Hi Kevin
Always a bit dry on the forum at this time of year (holidays I suppose).
I love the guitar in all of it's styles and once Gordon and me get together it's hard to get either of us out of 'anorak mode' :) Members on the forum are always willing to help, advise or generally give and opinion. Great bunch of people and always good to meet forum members at one of Gordons gigs.
The emoticons should appear on the left hand side. If not check below and make sure 'smiles' is not disabled. You can also do it on most machines with 'Shift :' and ')'
Be well
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

kevin

Postby kevin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:17 pm

Thanks Bob but I just get these, :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen:
Oh well it doesn't really matter.
Sorry they just turned into what they should be when I submitted, had to re-edit this so please ignore it,

Return to “More Music”