Aston Potteries, Oxfordshire

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Mike Stranks

Aston Potteries, Oxfordshire

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:29 am

What an interesting day...!

Realised on Friday evening that Gordon was playing in my neck of the woods the following evening, but knew that it was probably a 'no go' as I'd be in Bath for the day. Then saw that the gig was at 8pm. Some quick mental arithmetic indicated that I could get there comfortably in time without upsetting the Bath contingent of family-Stranks.

So a quick call to GG to let him know I'd be there and all was set....

Pitched-up about 40 mins before the gig to find things in shall we say, a 'state of flux'. Quick update from GG and... well, a long-story, but I ended-up helping finish-off setting-up the system and mixing Gordon's set. All credit and high-fives to the contracted sound guy who readily welcomed my involvement and suggested that I mix for Gordon. GG indicated that he'd appreciate that so sleeves rolled-up (literally) and off we went.

A lovely venue with evidence that this IS a pottery all around us in a light and airy modern building. This was the first gig there and it was packed.

First on was a local lad of 17, Rory Evans, of whom I'd previously heard very complimentary remarks. A player very much in the Tommy Emmanuel style he was much more than a warm-up and enthralled the audience with his accomplished dexterity.

As usual with a responsive audience GG had them eating out of the palm of his hand and the applause, warmth and laughter was heartfelt and genuine - and enthusiastic! Even I was laughing at some of the stories that I knew well - it's the way he tells 'em! :D

All this meant that GG was very relaxed and the playing showed it. Top-form and great to hear some old favourites of mine back in the set and some lovely new additions.

All-in-all a great night and everyone went home happy - especially me! At the end of a concert I'm usually faced with up to an hour of 'tote that barge, lift that bale', but this time it was simply a big thumbs-up to the sound-guy, a big smile and "thanks for letting me mix" and that was it! I could get used to being that sort of sound-tech! :lol:

PS. Sorry Gordon that Lucifer got "a bit loud" at its climax. Well... they were enjoying it, you were enjoying it, I was enjoying it....!! (Note to Keith Meredith who keeps a close watch on my loudness peaks: this time we hit 12!)
The older I get, the better I used to be

keithmeredith

Re: Aston Potteries, Oxfordshire

Postby keithmeredith » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:02 am

12 eh? TWELVE??????????????

Steady on Mike, you are dealing with forces beyond our comprehension here that may have catastrophic global consequences. :D :D

Seriously - really pleased that concert was a success. I had intended to dash down to Aston on my mechanical horse but Fiona and I had a very early start on the Sunday to look at some old aeroplanes. Dates always seem to clash - hey ho!

I will be visiting this venue in December to see/hear Lord Raymond of Burley.

Take care,

Keith

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Aston Potteries, Oxfordshire

Postby GORDON » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:What an interesting day...!

Realised on Friday evening that Gordon was playing in my neck of the woods the following evening, but knew that it was probably a 'no go' as I'd be in Bath for the day. Then saw that the gig was at 8pm. Some quick mental arithmetic indicated that I could get there comfortably in time without upsetting the Bath contingent of family-Stranks.

So a quick call to GG to let him know I'd be there and all was set....

Pitched-up about 40 mins before the gig to find things in shall we say, a 'state of flux'. Quick update from GG and... well, a long-story, but I ended-up helping finish-off setting-up the system and mixing Gordon's set. All credit and high-fives to the contracted sound guy who readily welcomed my involvement and suggested that I mix for Gordon. GG indicated that he'd appreciate that so sleeves rolled-up (literally) and off we went.

A lovely venue with evidence that this IS a pottery all around us in a light and airy modern building. This was the first gig there and it was packed.

First on was a local lad of 17, Rory Evans, of whom I'd previously heard very complimentary remarks. A player very much in the Tommy Emmanuel style he was much more than a warm-up and enthralled the audience with his accomplished dexterity.

As usual with a responsive audience GG had them eating out of the palm of his hand and the applause, warmth and laughter was heartfelt and genuine - and enthusiastic! Even I was laughing at some of the stories that I knew well - it's the way he tells 'em! :D

All this meant that GG was very relaxed and the playing showed it. Top-form and great to hear some old favourites of mine back in the set and some lovely new additions.

All-in-all a great night and everyone went home happy - especially me! At the end of a concert I'm usually faced with up to an hour of 'tote that barge, lift that bale', but this time it was simply a big thumbs-up to the sound-guy, a big smile and "thanks for letting me mix" and that was it! I could get used to being that sort of sound-tech! :lol:

PS. Sorry Gordon that Lucifer got "a bit loud" at its climax. Well... they were enjoying it, you were enjoying it, I was enjoying it....!! (Note to Keith Meredith who keeps a close watch on my loudness peaks: this time we hit 12!)

Without your help my friend the concert would have been nowhere near as good as it turned out to be.You and I are and always will be a team, and your company is always welcome my friend.

THANKYOU.

Be well.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”