Harp Guitar amplification

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

HG20

Harp Guitar amplification

Postby HG20 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Totally new to forums of any description.
I`ve just taken delivery of a Stephen Sedgwick 20 string harp guitar.
Six string fretless / six string standard guitar and eight super trebles. Amazing guitar.
Pix available on Stephen`s website.
Post concerns amplification - suggestions please.
So many mixed messages from various players and techies from companies.
Have tried everyone from Carlos Juan / Headway / K&K etc et al. I`d be very interested in your suggestions, grateful for any assistance and de-mystification of the subject.
Confused of Findern, Derbys.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Harp Guitar amplification

Postby GORDON » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 am

Sounds like a stunning guitar,and my guess is that it will be no easy task to amplify such a complex instrument, but I bet someone out there in FORUM land will have good ideas.

Thanks for posting.

G.

HG20

Postby HG20 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:49 am

Thanks for your interest and reply. Pity I`ll miss you at Off The Tracks otherwise you could`ve cast an eye and a finger or two over the guitar.
All the best - Rob

BRC

Postby BRC » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:53 pm

I can offer no real thoughts other than the required amplification would seem to need a fairly wide spectrum to accommodate the harp guitar.

However, I did some follow up on YouTube as you got me interested in the instrument and found a duet of Tommy Emmanuel and Stephen Bennett, the latter playing said instrument https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIHWc903-3s. I can't see from the video whether or not there is any special amp, but may be worth trying to contact Stephen Bennett for some advice. He has a website athttp://harpguitar.com/ so 'might bear some fruit'.

I loved the sound of this instrument and admire the skill needed to play it. There are quite a few YouTube videos of others playing harp guitar - I liked a version of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' that I found - and will search out more for my own listening pleasure.

Thanks for bringing the harp guitar to my attention. I won't be thinking of trying to play one as my hands now just about manage the stringed instruments I already have, nonetheless very interesting and, in the hands of an accomplished player, a beautiful sound.

Brad

HG20

Postby HG20 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi Brad and thanks for taking the time to respond to my query.
I was fortunate to meet John Doan, Phillipe Fouquet and Jason Carter last year at the HG gathering in Le Mans and this was when my interest rocketed from Wow - to must have one. All three have videos on youtube.
I intend to follow up your suggestion re. Stephen Bennett when I`ve finished this.
I`m seriously considering trialling a LR Baggs Lyric - not sure whether it will cover the frequency range but well worth a try before having to consider the under-saddle options.
All the best - Rob

kevin

Postby kevin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Knew about Harp guitars but never heard one until this thread. Very impressive there is no doubt and You Tube comes up trumps as usual but suddenly found myself listening to something called a Chapman Stick which I had no knowledge of its existence and thought time to back off! Six string guitars are complex enough for me.
Regards
Kevin

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 am

Rob

I can't help with the amplification but I would have thought any acoustic amp would be the way to go.

Kevin

The Chapman stick is a wonderful instrument. If I had the money I would attempt it. It uses hammer-ons, harmonics and some clever double handed playing. There used to be a busker in Bournemouth that played one inspiringly. My wife used to leave me for hours whilst she went shopping…. He always got a good donation from us :D

Be well

Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

kevin

Postby kevin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Rob
Sorry for turning your Harp Guitar thread into a Chapman Stick thread

Bob
Thanks for your comments which prompted further research on my part and has revealed quite an intriguing instrument.
I must admit to being embarrassed by my lack of musical knowledge. I guess we live and learn.

Gordon
I have to ask, any interest or history?

Regards
Kevin

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Sorry I'm a bit late to this, but I have been giving it some thought. The nearest instruments to this I have ever had to amplify have been hammer dulcimers and autoharps, but the principle shoulf be similar in that you need to approach this 'holistically'. The methods would vary depending on either live or studio use (the latter would be easiest!) but I think the struggle will be to find a 'one size fits all' solution. I would go for something variable, ie a bug that you can move around and experiment with. The best thing on the market in my experience is the Schertler Basik which comes with it's own pot of putty for encapsulating the pick-up in when you mount it. Of course, you may find that you need two of them to get a ballanced sound and then I would suggest that you wire the pair to a stereo jack socket so you can run them into two channels of a mini-mixer to enable you to have level and eq control over each bug without having to cut holes for pre-amps etc in the guitar! Cost of the Basik are around £100 each, but well worththe money. Good luck!

HG20

Postby HG20 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:17 am

Hi Russ.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply to the conundrum re. hg amplification.
The Schertler Basik is a new one to me so I`ll check it out later today.
Best wishes Rob

HG20

Postby HG20 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 am

Hi Kevin - I`d only ever heard of a Chapman Stick but since your post I`ve done some research ...... fascinating.
Many thanks - Rob

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 pm

I wouldn't have a clue how to play that guitar. It's unusual to have the harp strings higher. The harp guitars Stephen Bennett and Pierre Bensusan play have the harp strings as additional bass strings. And a fretless acoustic?!?
Sorry, can't offer and advice on how to mic it, but I hope you enjoy it. It looks like a very nice guitar.

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Ok, just read the info about the guitar. So the six strings on the fretless neck are additional bass strings, with an option of fretting them. That makes sense. Would love to hear you playing something on it.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”