Help on choosing my next acoustic

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

User avatar
matt
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby matt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 am

I wondered if I could probe folk for some thoughts that might help me make my mind up... I've long being considering adding another guitar to our collection. Amy (my boss) already has a wonderful Ayer's guitar which she's had for many years and we bought extremely cheaply due to some repaired minor damage. It has a lovely sound to it but I'm driving her completely loopy as I often forget to return it to standard tuning from DADGAD or the like. She struggles to tune by ear and her digital tuning app on her phone doesn't always appreciate the abuse... :lol:

So I've decided its time to save some pennies and get my own acoustic before I'm bashed over the head with the aforementioned instrument :shock:

I have being considering two guitars for some time now and I've been unable to decide between them... Just to add insult to injury I recently spent some time catching up with big G's work with his dulux sig model and the wonderful rare earth pickup that's always struck me as a compliment to any quality steel guitar...

So my list of guitars is as follows...

Vintage Ve2000Dlx Gordon Giltrap Deluxe Signature - £549 (with case)
Faith Venus HiGloss (FVHG) - £737 (with case)
Stonebridge GS-20-CM/C - £765 (no case) *

Now I've played the Stonebridge and it was stunning... I haven't tried the Faith but I have been reliably informed that it is as good as the Stonebridge plus it comes with a finish the kids can't easily ruin (bake beans off a a non gloss finish anyone?)and a decent shadow pickup. I will play it and compare it next to the Stonebridge and whichever I choose would come with a free complete set up with free ongoing care for 12 months

Unfortunately the only one I can't seem to find locally to play(think of this word in it's broadest sense at this point) and fondle is the GG Dulux... :( Does anyone know where I can find one local to Sutton Coldfield? I'm unable to roam very far at the moment due to family and health constraints.

One last question... Does anyone know of a local Luthier to me that's happy to handle any old/new guitar and is friendly?

* This model is also currently available from the same location shop demo @ £650. It would have the same set up etc. in that price.
Last edited by matt on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damn... broke a nail

scottj1
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:20 pm

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby scottj1 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:43 am

Hi Matt

You have a nice choice to make here....

Having a mahogany Vintage GG myself and having played a Deluxe model I think you couldn't go far wrong with one of those.

I think you can say that some guitars are good because they are a modest price or have good features but the quality and value of the Vintage GG range is second to none.

The Deluxe model is gorgeous and the added bonus of the Fishman makes it appealing as a live or recording instrument too.

Stonebridge guitars are nice too as are The Faith models...

Only my humble opinion for what it's worth.

Not sure about a guitar shop near where you are...I actually got mine online which I wouldn't normally do but it arrived set-up fine.

Best regards

Scott

User avatar
Bob Wilson
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby Bob Wilson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:50 am

Hi Matt

The GG Signature is a JHS/Vintage guitar, not Aria, and is a wonderful guitar and a very good price.
The others are also good but cost more. The only thing these have that the GG model doesn’t is that they have a cut-away which makes it easier for playing higher on the fretboard. If you get to try any ask the shopkeeper to tune to C or G and try that for the sound.

Being an electric guitarist I use the Ovation Applause which is much cheaper (less than £300) but a very good sounding guitar with a fantastic action in all tunings. I also recommend looking at these for lower priced good guitars. Also, Yamaha do some lovely acoustic guitars at very reasonable prices. I also rate Cort as a very good guitar at a good price.

You need to work out what you’ll be playing and choose accordingly. If you’re going to play high on the fretboard think about one of the cut-aways (unless you’ve got Gordon’s skills) :) . If not, then the GG is a fantastic bargain. :D

If you want to go 12 string look at the Vintage Paul Brett 12 signature which is very good.

Good luck with the hunting

Bob

Formula = Price over Playability over Need of Guitar multiplied by Headache from the Wife :D :D
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

User avatar
matt
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby matt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:40 am

Scott -

Thanks for the thoughts I've also heard excellent things about the Mahogany model which can be had for such reasonable money I'm almost tempted to buy one just because it would be nice owning an all mahogany guitar with that delectable warm sound :D I'm actually quite jealous :mrgreen: As regards a humble opinion I'm sure it's the best kind as it's often the most honest :)


Bob -

As to why I wrote Aria other than the fact that I read an article on an Aria 12 string the other day I have no clule! I have now corrected that mistake and can only assume my insomnia had a part to play! Thanks for the heads up :D It is of course a guitar I've looked at every review I could find (not found a bad one) and obviously I had what a friend of mine refers to as a 'brain fart'... :lol:

I do have a parlour style early Turner guitar which whilst VERY loud for its size and is actually rather a nice instrument. As it should be considering it's a model designed by Terry Pack in the earliest days of Turner guitars. Unfortunately it's not practical for the style of guitar I'd like to learn to play. Also it is in desperate need of a luthier to sort out some fret buzz that has most likely developed from poor storage conditions over the years. :oops:

I also have a Cort CEC5 Nat which is an interesting classical cutaway with a 45mm nut which makes it much closer to play to a standard steel acoustic than a classic. It is my current 'daily beater' as some say. Horrible term but does the trick :D

I have considered guitars in the two to three hundred range but decided whilst I can't afford to go all out on a guitar I would like something which sounds good and is easy to play. I don't even mind second hand as the work of 'breaking in' an instrument is already done and you can instantly appreciate the benefits.

I took a look at the Paul Brett 12... rather impressive! A 12 is something I'm looking for in a couple of years...


Your formula is extremely troubling ... I already have a headache :P
Damn... broke a nail

User avatar
GORDON
Site Admin
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: SUTTON COLDFIELD

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby GORDON » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:06 pm

matt wrote:I wondered if I could probe folk for some thoughts that might help me make my mind up... I've long being considering adding another guitar to our collection. Amy (my boss) already has a wonderful Ayer's guitar which she's had for many years and we bought extremely cheaply due to some repaired minor damage. It has a lovely sound to it but I'm driving her completely loopy as I often forget to return it to standard tuning from DADGAD or the like. She struggles to tune by ear and her digital tuning app on her phone doesn't always appreciate the abuse... :lol:

So I've decided its time to save some pennies and get my own acoustic before I'm bashed over the head with the aforementioned instrument :shock:

I have being considering two guitars for some time now and I've been unable to decide between them... Just to add insult to injury I recently spent some time catching up with big G's work with his dulux sig model and the wonderful rare earth pickup that's always struck me as a compliment to any quality steel guitar...

So my list of guitars is as follows...

Vintage Ve2000Dlx Gordon Giltrap Deluxe Signature - £549 (with case)
Faith Venus HiGloss (FVHG) - £737 (with case)
Stonebridge GS-20-CM/C - £765 (no case) *

Now I've played the Stonebridge and it was stunning... I haven't tried the Faith but I have been reliably informed that it is as good as the Stonebridge plus it comes with a finish the kids can't easily ruin (bake beans off a a non gloss finish anyone?)and a decent shadow pickup. I will play it and compare it next to the Stonebridge and whichever I choose would come with a free complete set up with free ongoing care for 12 months

Unfortunately the only one I can't seem to find locally to play(think of this word in it's broadest sense at this point) and fondle is the GG Dulux... :( Does anyone know where I can find one local to Sutton Coldfield? I'm unable to roam very far at the moment due to family and health constraints.

One last question... Does anyone know of a local Luthier to me that's happy to handle any old/new guitar and is friendly?

* This model is also currently available from the same location shop demo @ £650. It would have the same set up etc. in that price.


Hi Matt.I"'m saying nothing about what guitar I think you should buy.Roger Williams in Lichfield details on my website is the best there is.Good luck with your search my friend.G

User avatar
matt
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby matt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:15 am

On the contrary Gordon I was quite hoping you'd honour me with your honest opinion on your dulux signature model. Not only do you play the guitar in question on a regular basis you also teach guitar so your thoughts on the matter would be invaluable to me! Since I'm seemingly unable to find a local stockist in our home town this is even more important (and should be remedied asap!). Not to mention the fact that what you say could potentially save me a considerable amount of cash! :D

Of course all this the moot if you fancy selling me one of your olde Fylde guitars for the same sort of money... :D since your having a new one this year you lucky so and so :lol: Anything forthcoming on the spec of your new guitar yet? :)

I have taken a look at Roger Williams but I'm concerned that I'd be bothering him with lesser instruments when his time could be spent wisely elsewhere. The guitars I have in mind really don't match his abilities :?
Damn... broke a nail

User avatar
Russ Gannicott
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:28 pm

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:00 am

Just to take a slightly controversial stance on this, here are my thoughts;

Firstly, the last thing I would consider when making this kind of choice is the pickup system - this is something that should be your choice based around what and more typically how and where you play. The choice of guitar really needs to be done 'blind' with no prejudice based on makers name - the GG is a prime example of this as it can hold it's own alongside instruments by high end makers of three times the price. Though, to be honest that isn't worth anything if you are not comfortable with it! Play a range of instruments and then think if you like them when they are amplified by whatever is supplied in them, or think about what you could fit to them if you had the choice. Most recently I have been fitting K&K's more than anything else into customers guitars as when someone goes along to an open mic (or whatever) and hears one they are generally blown away by them - but that's only OK if it works for what you do. I tend to think they have the edge over soundhole pickups, but that is just my opinion.

A good pre-amp will also be your friend if you can find one - and once again GG comes to the rescue with the Award Session GG10 or AP10 if you can find one on ebay. They are truly great and considered to pretty well be an 'industry standard' whatever that means!

Finally - in search of a luthier? Why look further than Rob Armstrong.

Cheers, all the best.
Russ

User avatar
matt
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby matt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:53 am

Wow... again.. lots of info... :D

First off... what's a K&K ?? I know fishman, lr baggs and seymour duncon but K&K is new to me... do you have a vid link or the like for interests sake? Costs compared to others and the cost of fitting?

The really important bit is I only play for myself (and occasionally the kids who like some upbeat playing and to strum guitar with Dad) and plugging in is a matter of fiddling with sound to get something different and interesting. The likely hood of me playing in front of anything beyond an audience of manikins scares me to the ends of my nervous around fretboards fingertips... :oops:

So really what I should make clear is my desire for the best sound for the money... I don't mind the shape of the guitar... In fact my dubious playing abilities include Gordon's positional preference on the raised left leg with the neck aimed quite high... I can play with a guitar on my right but (somewhat amazingly) it sounds even worse if I do that... :lol:

As regards a good pre-amp... one like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231135118404? ... 1436.l2649

I'm afraid I wouldn't really know what to do with it... I really am quite new at all of this :oops:

Rob Armstrong... does he have a website?
Damn... broke a nail

User avatar
Russ Gannicott
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:28 pm

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:00 am

Hi Matt, from what you have just said it really does sound like you will find everything you want within the Vintage range. I am sure Gordon can point you in the direction of your nearest dealer. And yes; that is the very pre-amp I was talking about, but as you pointed out, rather pointless if you are not likely to out and gig!

Good luck with your guitar quest, enjoy the journey!
Russ

User avatar
Roger
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Southsea

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Matt,

Just to complicate things I'll throw Crafter (Thanks Russ!) into the equation, as they offer very good value for money. I had to sell mine this year due to an ongoing shoulder problem, but now have a Vintage Travel Guitar, which was recommended by Gordon. Small yes, but easy to play, very bright sound and very versatile - a "keeper" for me. It's also available as an electro-acoustic. Have a look at http://www.jhs.co.uk :D As Russ says you should be able to find something within the Vintage range without breaking the bank!
If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.

User avatar
Roger
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Southsea

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Matt,

Forgot to say we had some work done on a rare, old guitar by Roger Williams - couldn't have been more pleased with the result.

Don't think Rob Armstrong has a website, but his number should be easy enough to find (he's based in Coventry).
If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.

User avatar
matt
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby matt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Thanks for the help Russ... :D and as regards my quest it's starting to get a Monty Python vibe... :shock: :lol:

I'm desperate to play a GG Dulux... it really does look like gambling on a mail order... :?

Roger I have been flitting back and forth from the JHS website back to here and then to 'lesser' sites sourcing reliable feedback...

Really what I'm after is a solid body instrument for the right money... As I recall with Crafter you have to spend a fair few shekels to get 'good wood' all round... :?:

I don't have any nice rare instruments... I have some wood and string things that strangely I love... must be some sort of infliction... :lol:

Closer to home the better so I guess I best politely enquire with Roger Williams first...
Damn... broke a nail

User avatar
Roger
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:02 pm
Location: Southsea

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Matt,

http://www.perfectpitch.co.uk/guitars/a ... 24496.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVyHEMzsm3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3EgekgL4p0

I had the left-handed version.

Roger

PS Going back to JHS Vintage, they were great when I had a problem with the guitar set-up - put things right promptly and FOC. Great customer service!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWoyjA_zaLc
If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.

User avatar
GORDON
Site Admin
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: SUTTON COLDFIELD

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby GORDON » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:53 pm

matt wrote:On the contrary Gordon I was quite hoping you'd honour me with your honest opinion on your dulux signature model. Not only do you play the guitar in question on a regular basis you also teach guitar so your thoughts on the matter would be invaluable to me! Since I'm seemingly unable to find a local stockist in our home town this is even more important (and should be remedied asap!). Not to mention the fact that what you say could potentially save me a considerable amount of cash! :D

Of course all this the moot if you fancy selling me one of your olde Fylde guitars for the same sort of money... :D since your having a new one this year you lucky so and so :lol: Anything forthcoming on the spec of your new guitar yet? :)

I have taken a look at Roger Williams but I'm concerned that I'd be bothering him with lesser instruments when his time could be spent wisely elsewhere. The guitars I have in mind really don't match his abilities :?


OK, this is my take on it.

Russ is absolutely right about the guitar. It has to be comfortable to play.My signature models have a pretty chunky neck,so if you have small hands you may find it a handful........excuse the pun. For me I think you would love the mahogany GG. ridiculous value for money. I Re strung mine with my custom Wyres set recently and the sound just blew me away, and I have had the guitar for ages now. It continues to surprise and amaze me.

If you fancy a trip up to Ivor Mairants in the West End, they have all the models there and will certainly look after you. Just tell em I sent you...grin.

Russ mentioned Rob Armstrong in Coventry. If that is closer for you then that's an option. He also keeps a few sig models in stock.Ring him on 02476 442502.

Roger Williams would be more than happy to work on your guitars as would a Rob, after all it is what they do to make a crust!

My good friend Scott is soon to be the proud owner of one of my old Fyldes. He always wanted a Fylde GG signature.

The great Bucknall is still thinking about the new GG guitar design. Watch this space buddy.

Thanks to Russ and everyone for some seriously solid advice...bless ya my friends.

G.

User avatar
matt
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Re: Help on choosing my next acoustic

Postby matt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 am

Roger wrote:Matt,

I had the left-handed version.

Roger

PS Going back to JHS Vintage, they were great when I had a problem with the guitar set-up - put things right promptly and FOC. Great customer service!


You're not helping :roll: :lol: Well you are and you aren't :mrgreen:

GORDON wrote:
matt wrote:OK, this is my take on it.

Russ is absolutely right about the guitar. It has to be comfortable to play.My signature models have a pretty chunky neck,so if you have small hands you may find it a handful........excuse the pun. For me I think you would love the mahogany GG. ridiculous value for money. I Re strung mine with my custom Wyres set recently and the sound just blew me away, and I have had the guitar for ages now. It continues to surprise and amaze me.

If you fancy a trip up to Ivor Mairants in the West End, they have all the models there and will certainly look after you. Just tell em I sent you...grin.

Russ mentioned Rob Armstrong in Coventry. If that is closer for you then that's an option. He also keeps a few sig models in stock.Ring him on 02476 442502.

Roger Williams would be more than happy to work on your guitars as would a Rob, after all it is what they do to make a crust!

My good friend Scott is soon to be the proud owner of one of my old Fyldes. He always wanted a Fylde GG signature.

The great Bucknall is still thinking about the new GG guitar design. Watch this space buddy.

Thanks to Russ and everyone for some seriously solid advice...bless ya my friends.

G.


I fumble ineffectually with several guitar styles from a 2003 Epi lecky to my most recent acquisition which is a full bodied and lovely toned 1979 Aranjuez Classical... Amy's acoustic has the same 46mm nut width for finger style which is really nice to play. It's more comfortable than a classical but not as tight as a modern day acoustic, which seem to get closer to an electric every time I pick one up!

I'm afraid I'm unable to spare the time to travel to Ivor Mairants store but I have noticed that they have an ex demo V2000MGG going for £235 plus post... Going on what's been said thus far and the following reviews (can't understand the chap on one review but grin factor says it all :D ) it's extremely tempting... However I'd like to try my hand at some of the signature GG sounds in the future... Hmmm....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0usZSy4ep7k&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx5bltKM954&hd=1


If I cut Scott's brake lines can I be 2nd in line? :P Dear Scott if you're reading this don't worry, I have no idea where you live and even if I did I'm more of a horde of flying monkeys to carry you off kind of evil... :twisted:


As regards Roger vs Rob I'll give them both a call at some point and get an idea of pricing... Amy's Ayer's is in need of attention as well and since it's an early and very much irreplaceable model which she loves I'll have to get that seen to first... Maybe I can get a package deal on several instruments and having my new one (when chosen and paid for) set up at the same time... :D

I was wondering about the signature Wyres since they're also coated... I thought about trying out a set as changing strings on several guitars is just a pain at the end of the day. Problem is I've been hard pressed to improve on the sound the standard Martin's supply....


Oh good grief... A friend has just sent me a message saying someone's selling off Bedell guitars off cheap on ebay... Anyone have a clue on those? :? :?:

Wish I had the permission to buy more than one instrument but it's also car upgrade time... :roll:


P.S. Pun excused.. mine are far worse ;)
Damn... broke a nail


Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests