Vintage GG Signature. But which one?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

waffels

Vintage GG Signature. But which one?

Postby waffels » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post in this fine forum. I live in Brussels, played guitar on and off since the mid-sixties :shock: I play mostly electric but recently revert to my first love: acoustic folk music.

My current favourite acoustic is a Sigma copy of the all-mahogany Martin 000-15. I like the mature, warm 'brown' sound of the mahogany top which I found suits best to my style of playing: early Bob Dylan light strumming, Travis-style picking, single-note soloing à la Willie Nelson. I'm now into 'Celtic' fingerstyle guitar e.g. Richard Thompson, Martin Simpson, Bert Jansch and ... a certain Gordon Giltrap :D

At the same time, I discovered the Vintage GG Signature guitar. I fell in love with the 8-figure shape, the wide fretboard and the thick neck. I just have to get one but which one? The cedar top or the mahogany?

My problem is that the Vintage GG guitars are nowhere to be found in Belgium. So I will have to buy sight unseen via the Internet. The only clues as to how these guitars sound are from the youTube clips (which I found particularly thin and trebly).

So I trust you GG Sig owners on the forum to help me make my choice. What are the differences between the cedar-top model and the all-mahogany? How does the GG Signature compare with the Martin-style 000-15? Brighter, darker? Sustain? Volume? Boomy or plinky bass? Note-to note separation,...?

Thank you for your help.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Vintage GG Signature. But which one?

Postby GORDON » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:58 am

Hello sir.

I can't recommend highly enough my new deluxe Vintage signature model.The cedar top gives it a lovely bright crisp sound and the rosewood a warmth and depth.

The whole package is a steal with the Fishman Rare Earth pickup and deluxe case as part of the package.

What a shame you live abroad and have to buy sight unseen.

Ivor Mairants in London is probably the best store to get it from and as far as I know it should be well set up before sending.

Thanks so much for your interest and DO let us know how you get on.

Be well.

G.

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:35 am

Having the opportunity this weekend to play one of Gordon's JHS Signature guitars I was blown away by the tone and playability. So, I've ordered a VE 2000 GG Deluxe. Well, it had to happen sooner or later. I will be disposing of two other guitars via a certain online auction site, though, in order to retrospectively provide some funds. So, waffels, go for the best you can afford and enjoy!

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:37 am

P.S.

1) Let us know how you get on!
2) Welcome to the forum!

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”