Another great Giltrap reissue...

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Trevor Raggatt

Another great Giltrap reissue...

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:17 pm

I see from a browse at Amazon that, as well as the classic 70s prog trilogy, there's another reissue due on August 12th - Live At Oxford
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-At-Oxford-Gordon-Giltrap/dp/B00DR43JXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375305177&sr=8-1&keywords=giltrap+live+oxford

Another CD well worth adding to your collection. Featuring Gordon and a killer band (including John Gustafson from Roxy Music and many others and Ian Mosley from Marillion on drums).

Roger

Re: Another great Giltrap reissue...

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:54 pm

Just having a look at Amazon now Trevor :D :D :D

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi,
I have got the version of 2000 and all I can say is: buy (the new reissue) and enjoy!!! :-)
All the best,
Piotr

scottj1

Postby scottj1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:53 am

Hi everyone

I received my reissue albums yesterday and what a superb overall package they are with a very generous amount of extra tracks,pictures and thoughts from Gordon on each album.

As someone who tends to listen more to Gordon's acoustic music rather than the GG band it's opened a real interest in that 70's period.

It also got me to think of starting a new thread on the forum with respect to album covers as Gordon comments on each one of these reissues.

So I wonder what favourite Everyone's favourite GG cover is?

I like the one from Elegy....

Scott

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:14 am

scottj1 wrote:Hi everyone

I received my reissue albums yesterday and what a superb overall package they are with a very generous amount of extra tracks,pictures and thoughts from Gordon on each album.

As someone who tends to listen more to Gordon's acoustic music rather than the GG band it's opened a real interest in that 70's period.

It also got me to think of starting a new thread on the forum with respect to album covers as Gordon comments on each one of these reissues.

Scott

Nice one Scott.

Be well.

G.

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:31 am

scottj1 wrote:.

Scott

The joker in me wants to say "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac ( I hope Gordon takes this opportunity to share his Peter Green anecdote. It's been a while since I heard that in gig banter).

Seriously though, I love Perilous Journey's cover. It's a lovely piece of design with the cloud filled silhouette jumping into the void... The ultimate leap of faith. So very prog!

Of course, this is a somewhat ironic choice for favourite cover when you consider Gordon's personal love for the design (not!).

Mind you I also love all three of the covers by Sue Martin. For its intensity and intimacy The Solo Album is an amazing piece of artwork. However, her watercolour of Gordon on stage on Live On A Summer's Night is probably my favourite of hers. Cracking live album too!

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:51 pm

In no particular order - Visionary, Drifter (an album that seemed to slip under the radar a bit, but one that I play often) and Remember This (another album that I keep going back to).

I think that the cover of Shining Morn is pretty good too - Gordon happy and relaxed, which is when he undoubtedly produces his finest performances on stage :D

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:01 pm

I have always loved the photo on the cover of Drifter, an album that includes Gordon's best bonus disc ever: Live at Huntingdon Hall. I can't lay my hands on the CD just now, but from memory was the photo taken by Hilary somewhere in the south-west?

I also like the On a Summer's Night cover, no doubt in part because it is such a good album.

Troubadour has also always been a stand out cover, again partly because I associate it so much with such a great album.

The Visionary trio are all stand-outs. OK, so that's 6 "favourites" I'd better stop now :)

Roger

Return to “Gordon's Music”