Small Bodied (Electro?) Acoustic ("Leftie" of course!)

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

Small Bodied (Electro?) Acoustic ("Leftie" of course!)

Postby Roger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Advice needed please!

Unfortunately for me I've been suffering from a frozen shoulder for the past year and I'm told it could be another year before things get back to somewhere near normal. The good news is that I'm enjoying strumming an electric guitar again, although my left hand/arm feels and sounds somewhat mechanical! The bad news is that my Crafter dreadnought style guitar is just too uncomfortable to play and I have little confidence about this situation changing much soon :(

So my question is what is out there in terms of a smaller bodied steel strung acoustic, possibly electro-acoustic? Budget will be £150 to £200, plus whatever I can get for the Crafter (and possibly my Cort X2). Any thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Small Bodied (Electro?) Acoustic ("Leftie" of course!)

Postby GORDON » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:24 pm

What you may think about is one of those lovely VINTAGE travel guitars that JHS have on their website.

So sorry to hear about your shoulder sir.

Be well guv

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks Gordon - will have a look now :D

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Gordon,

Finally got around to ordering my "leftie" Vintage travel guitar today :D - Musicroom Portsmouth should receive it in about 2-3 weeks. I did have a quick strum on a r/h version that they had in stock - not ideal playing the wrong way around, but as I know from looking at yours it's just the right size for me! I think for such a small and inexpensive guitar the sound is pretty good and it's nicely put together. So a big THANK YOU to you Sir for suggesting this guitar in the first place, giving such a brilliant demonstration of what it can do at the Portsmouth gig and of course letting me have a close look at your guitar :D

Be well and best to Hilary,

Roger (& Em)

PS Looks as if I'll be using the Crafter in p/x for the Vintage, but if anyone is interested in a l/h D8 :wink:
Last edited by Roger on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:32 pm

Sorry Gordon - one last piece of advice needed :)

If I decide to fit an inexpensive pick-up, such as the Fishman Neo-D, how easy or difficult is that to do on this guitar?

Thanks,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi Roger.

If it's a sound hole pick up it should be fairly easy, but best gets pro to fit it.

Be well.

G

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Roger - sorry to hear that you have a frozen shoulder. That is not a good condition to get but I hope you are on the road to recovery. I developed tennis elbow at Christmas and am still getting over it. Nowhere near as awkward as a frozen shoulder but still inconvenient so I can only begin to imagine what you are going through. (Must have been delayed-onset tennis elbow - I haven't played tennis in 29 years).

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Good to hear from you Andrew - have you moved to the sunny south yet? :)

According to the experts I still have about 8 months to go before I have full mobility back, and then it's on to strengthening the shoulder. Other than discomfort when playing a larger bodied guitar, I've found that left hand has become somewhat slow and mechanical :(

Fortunately I'm the type of person that always looks forward and tries to take a positive from a negative. Well the positive here is that I have a great little guitar that is far better suited to me and my playing than my Crafter ever was.

Hope the tennis elbow clears up soon - I've had that too and it's not much fun - must be my age :)

Be well,

Roger

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”