St. Michael's Church - Bishops Itchington - 13/4/13

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

St. Michael's Church - Bishops Itchington - 13/4/13

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:31 pm

I was gobsmacked!!!

In fact my gob has seldom been so smacked. (Although there may be some who think it should be smacked on a regular basis.) The reason for my shocked state?... the simply astounding voice of Paul Manzi, who provided the mellifluous and melodic vocal element on ‘Ravens & Lullabies’.

Paul by lucky happenstance was in the area to visit his mother and was asked by Oliver to take part in the evening’s entertainment. As Gordon stated several times – history was being made tonight, as this was their debut together in front of a live audience. In fact, Paul and Gordon had met for the first time only hours before and so rehearsal and arrangement had been minimal. The fact that this [almost] impromptu performance worked so well speaks many volumes for the talent, musicianship and professionalism of these performers.

We have had the pleasure of visiting the church of St.Michael on several occasions and were greeted warmly by Rev.Martin Green – mien host and M.C. for the evening. I espied that the sound desk was in the more than capable hands of the ever genial Sir Mike Stranks; and that other friends and fellow forum members were present – including Malc & Kaz, Andy from Barnstable, John & Pauline and others.

Fiona has just suggested that I should mention that Gordon and Oliver were there too, and that the playing was good. That honours degree was money well spent……….

Ravens & Lullabies has been receiving outstanding reviews – deservedly so – and this promotional concert allowed us to enjoy what have rapidly become favourite pieces played live. I had previously preferred to listen to instrumental pieces – particular faves being Natures Way, On Camber Sands, Roots, A Mayfair Kiss, Fiona’s Smile (of course) and Wherever There Was Beauty – which all featured.

Then I heard Mr.Manzi’s voice. Paul sang three numbers for us: Picture of a Lady (not on R & L – a piece composed by Oliver for a project about the Hound of the Baskervilles), Maybe Tomorrow (which is Fiona’s favourite from the album) and finishing the evening’s proceedings with Ravens Will Fly Away.

These beautiful songs, with meaningful lyrics that were enunciated clearly and mellifluously, and musicianship of the first order from Messrs. Giltrap and Wakeman made for an almost celestial evening in an appropriately ecclesiastical setting.

Mike Stranks

Re: St. Michael's Church - Bishops Itchington - 13/4/13

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:00 pm

An excellent review as ever, m'Lord...

Maybe that sounds immodest from the guy who was ultimately responsible for getting the melodies into the assembled lug'oles, but working with musicians of this calibre really does make my job easy.

When first listening to the Ravens and Lullabies CDs it was Paul's voice that leapt out of the speakers at me - he really is a superb singer.

So 'twas a pleasure to have my digits on the knobs, buttons and faders for such a musical feast...

... I really must get an "Hon Roadie' badge made for Keith and pretty soon an 'Apprentice Roadie' one for Andy too! :lol:

Thanks guys; it really does make my job easier to have some cheerful chappies assisting the take-down and pack-up after a concert.
The older I get, the better I used to be

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:59 pm

The Giltrap roving correspondent seems to have captured all the important aspects of last night’s concert in his typically comprehensive manner!!
I would like to say a big thank you to Martin and Louise for their usual warm welcome and for making the concert happen and to Mike for (as usual) getting the best sound from Gordon’s performance!
Along with Keith and Fiona we had the benefit of a “back stage pass” and we were able to see what goes into the making of a concert when working with two other performers - one who Gordon had only met for the first time on the day of the concert!
As always we were entertained and captivated by the performance and excited to learn that we are the proud owners of an original signed, limited edition, sold out version of Ravens and Lullabies (time to up the house insurance and increase the security I think!!)
It was fascinating to watch the hieroglyphics which made up the stage notes turned into a fantastic performance as only the Maestro can!
For “the anoraks” amongst us there was a new 12 string, a mahogany version of the Gordon Giltrap signature guitar and of course the beautiful GG signature electric on stage to keep us enthralled!
Gordon, Oliver and Paul performed to a packed house and it was to the regret of everyone there that all good things have to come to an end and as usual we were all left wanting more! So many of our Giltrap favourites that there just wasn’t time for!
Pauline and I wish Gordon and Oliver every success with their Channel Islands Tour and look forward to our next concert when they return to the mainland!
:D :D :D :D :D

Diane Shorleson

Postby Diane Shorleson » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi Gordon - Thanks for a great night on Saturday - very enjoyable and good to hear Oliver and Paul too. Having previously purchased the new CD, I knew it would be ace.. Pure class the whole evening :D Nice to see Hilary too. Looking forward to the next time. Diane x (PS My daughter still thinks I am a stalker!!!!!!!!!)
Diane

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Diane Shorleson wrote:Hi Gordon - Thanks for a great night on Saturday - very enjoyable and good to hear Oliver and Paul too. Having previously purchased the new CD, I knew it would be ace.. Pure class the whole evening :D Nice to see Hilary too. Looking forward to the next time. Diane x (PS My daughter still thinks I am a stalker!!!!!!!!!)

Dear Diane.

Great to see you on Saturday.

You're the nicest stalker I know.

Love to you and yours.

G.x

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”