Does anyone have the guitar tab for GG's 'The Carnival'?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

RSTEED

Does anyone have the guitar tab for GG's 'The Carnival'?

Postby RSTEED » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi. I've always wanted to play the theme music to the 80's/90's tv holiday programme 'Wish you were here'.
I can't find it anywhere.
Richard Steed

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone have the guitar tab for GG's 'The Carnival'?

Postby GORDON » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Hello there.

How interesting,I'm very flattered.

Because this isn't really a stand alone guitar piece I have never bothered about developing it as such, hence the reason there is no TAB.Maybe I should set to and do something with it!

Be well sir.

G.

RSTEED

Postby RSTEED » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Wow! What a priveledge! I've had a reply from the legend himself! Thankyou Gordon. I hope you're well.
Yes,it has a very continental feel to it hence that it was for a holiday programme.
I've met so many people who've wanted to play Pink Floyd's 'Wish you were here' but I've always thought of that title being your guitar piece for the holiday programme!
Yes, I have a very unique interest in music. When I hear something,it doesnt matter where I've heard it,I'll want to play it if it really touches me!
Hey Gordon! Are you really from Sutton Coldfield?!!! I was born there back in 1978 at Good Hope Hospital!!.
Regards,
Richard Steed
http://www.soundclick.com/richardsteed
http://www.myspace.com/richardgarethsteed
P.S I shouldn't pay much attention really to these websites of mine. I started writing my own electronic songs with catchy hooks but I'm moving on now. My dream is to get a grade 8 in classical guitar,piano and theory and work on a commercially orientated synth/guitar rock symphony album like 'Tubular Bells'. I want to really express myself too!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:27 pm

I live in Sutton Coldfield but I'm not from there.Born in Kent and brought up in South East London and proud of it!

I will have a think about arranging Carnival for solo guitar,it could be fun.

I wish you well with your music.

G.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:30 am

... and maybe that and some of your other 'TV Theme' pieces could form a medley in your concerts Gordon.

I know that when I first heard the 'Music for the Small Screen' album, I had a mixture of reactions to several pieces along the lines of "I know this, but I'd never realised that Gordon wrote it".

Just a thought...
The older I get, the better I used to be

RSTEED

Postby RSTEED » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 am

Precisely! How about a GG Anthology book for guitar!

RSTEED

Postby RSTEED » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:43 am

GORDON wrote:I live in Sutton Coldfield but I'm not from there.Born in Kent and brought up in South East London and proud of it!

I will have a think about arranging Carnival for solo guitar,it could be fun.

I wish you well with your music.

G.

Small World aye Gordon?! I'm surprised that a successful South Eastener would be living up in Sutton Coldfield!!

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:... and maybe that and some of your other 'TV Theme' pieces could form a medley in your concerts Gordon.

I know that when I first heard the 'Music for the Small Screen' album, I had a mixture of reactions to several pieces along the lines of "I know this, but I'd never realised that Gordon wrote it".

Mike, absolutely. All three of Gordon's "sun, sand and sangria" TV themes from that album are pretty special. I love the fact that in the late 80s BOTH the BBC and ITV holiday programmes simultaneously had Giltrap penned and performed themes.

So Gordon, what about a medley of "The Carnival" and "Holiday Romance" - the probably incompatible tunings, timings and key signatures notwithstanding!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:57 pm

When the album and tour with Oliver is done then I shall set to!

Be Well you lovely people.

G.

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:00 pm

:D

Tee hee!

Mike's comments got me to listen again to MftSS on the way home from work this evening. It was great to hear "Brutus" again too (always the best bit of BBC2's World Bowls programme). Listening to it it struck me that, if there's ever a second OW&GG CD it could be a prime candidate for a revival and thorough progging up. I know Johann (and Karl) from Threshold and the thought of that tune being driven along by his muscular drumming with OW tinkling over the top fair sent tingles down my spine. It'd be an unstoppable juggernaut! :wink:

As noted elsewhere, I'm SOOOOOO looking forward to the R&L album and can't wait to hear it. That Deluxe double disc looks well good - if only for the extra studio material. "The Forgotten King", eh? Mmmmm... nice! Can't wait!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 am

You won't be dissapointed I promise you!

LTYA.

G & H.

RSTEED

Postby RSTEED » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi Gordon! Any news of 'The Carnival' being transcribed in TAB for classical guitar yet?
Richard Steed

RSTEED

Postby RSTEED » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks Gordon.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi there.I recently arranged the piece in open tuning for a project with Graham Fellows AKA John Shuttleworth and will at some point get back to it but can't guarantee when but thanks for your interest buddy.G.

sultan4swing

Postby sultan4swing » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Re guitar tab for 'Carnival'...... as Gordon said, it's a multi instrumental piece so no specific guitar 'tab'. Had a listen with my guitar the other day - easy to work thru the chord progression - and find the key (thru the bass note...)...... E major ...... chords sequence....

E... A.... B7... E (repeated)...... E.... A.... B7.... C#Min..... E... A... E... B7 (repeated)...

But don't ask me to play the 'fancy stuff' ..... !!!

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”