What do people on the fourm think of Elixirs?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Seagull27

What do people on the fourm think of Elixirs?

Postby Seagull27 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi all

I've been reading about these strings a lot recently. I have a set of the 80/20s on my Seagull S6 folk. But to be honest I am mainly an electric guitarist who is mellowing more into acoustic with age! I have alwaus had a nylon string, but it is only quite recently I've got my steel strung acoustics. I've had the Seagull for less than a year and as yet have not changed the strings. I do like the sound of them, but then I don't really have anything to compare to. I'm definitely going to experiment, but in the meantime it would be most helpful to hear people's thoughts about the Elixirs.

Many thanks

Max

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: What do people on the fourm think of Elixirs?

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Max.

I know many players who use them and list is pretty extensive. I have a set of 12 gauge on my Baritone and they sound fine, and of course will last an age!

I really think that certain strings suit certain guitars,some sets will sound fine on one instrument and not so on another. It's all down to personal choice. As I say, the list of users is extensive and a lot of world class players use them. Martin Taylor. Newton Falconer. Clive Carroll. Tristan Seaume.

In the main I use Martin SP's.

Best.

G.

HawkofMay

Postby HawkofMay » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:36 pm

I've used Elixir Phospher Bronze Nanoweb 11's on all my guitars for many years and find that they have the tone, playability and longevity that suits me. I found the Elixir Polyweb a bit too slippery particularly when moving from open chords to bar chords further up the neck.

aviator

Postby aviator » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:18 pm

I hate changing strings - not because of the process involved, but rather because I don't like the initial sound of new strings.

I use the Elixir nanowebs and normally buy them in a three-pack from Rich Tone Music in Sheffield (http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/elixir_e16502_phoshpor_bronze_12-53_light_bonus_3_pack.asp for £27.50.

Apparently the supply of Elixir anti-rust strings is likely to come to at least a temporary end. Rich Tone notes;

'Please note that due to an issue with the supply of key materials for Elixir Anti-Rust plain steel strings, Elixir have returned to the production of string sets using their original plain steel strings.'

I've two sets left and they might end up on Ebay!

A minor issue I have with Elixirs is that initially the strings are just too quiet - quite likely because of the coating. After some playing though this muting stops and you definately get an extended period of playing without the strings rusting and losing tone.

But for sheer terrific tone allied to a reasonable life (though not up there with an Elixir) I have to recommend Derbyshire hand-made Newtone strings. I get these in 5-packs post free from http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/912531/newtone-master-class-phosphor-bronze-12-54-acoustic-guitar-strings/. Three packs would cost £17.67 plus postage, whilst five cost £29.45 post-free which is pretty good compared to the Elixir deal (when available).

The Newtones make a far better tone on my cheapie Chinese-made guitar, though they've yet to go on my new guitar (shod with Elixirs at present) so I might be writing in haste! The round core allegedly contributes to them lasting longer than normal un-treated strings. I find they last about two-thirds of a the life of Elixirs, but once they lose their sheen they go downhill rapidly, whilst Elixirs tend to decay gradually.

What I've tended to find is that strings change their tone substantially during their lifetimes on a guitar. I can't get on with Martin SP's but I know that in the right weather (little humidity) and about a week in after being fitted, they will make a great tone for a few days. The Newtones themselves take a few hours to bed-in but by the end of the day they out-perform anything else I've tried to-date for a longer period of time.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Just for the record guys,it was I many years ago that helped Malcolm Newton to develope the Newtone design.It was I who suggested we try creating a round wound string on to a plain core.Malc found a way of doing this by flattening the top 6 or 8'inches of the inner core,thus making the outer core wrap securely.The end result was a unique and wonderful sounding string.

Although I don't use the product any more because of the volume of strings I need for SO many guitars,I am proud of the fact that it was I who helped to create this wonderfull product.

Be well all.

G.

Seagull27

Postby Seagull27 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:32 am

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to give these Newtone strings a go.... I've been using .011 - .052 so far, but it seems the Newtone do not do this gauge set. So it's either .011 - .050. Or .012 - .052. Is it quite common for string manufacturers to not offer a .011 - .052 set?

aviator

Postby aviator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:26 am

I get the .11-054's. Over Xmas I replaced the Elixirs on my new Orsino with Newtones.

No way around it for four days the guitar sounded awful to my ears. The first two days down to the 'bright'-sounding tone that new strings always provide - that 'you've just changed those strings' sound that no brand escapes, and which I frankly hate. After that the guitar just sounded a bit flat and dead. That might though have simply been the wet weather. I stuck with it and got the strings played-in.

Now it sounds absolutely fantastic. I got the Orsino because I didn't like the twang-machine properties of a spruce top - cedar seems to even-out the tone and attenuates the lower registers, and for the wide nut. Now the strings feel like they belong on the guitar and the resonation and sustain is back and far better than with the original Elixirs. Last night I sneezed at one end of the room and the Orsino resonated at the other, hanging off the wall! That was weird. In fact with any loud voice or sound in the room, even from the telly, the Orsino will resonate on its own.

So if you have put Newtones on and they initially sound rubbish - stick with it and stick with them for at least a week. It really will be worth it.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:46 pm

aviator wrote:I get the .11-054's. Over Xmas I replaced the Elixirs on my new Orsino with Newtones.

No way around it for four days the guitar sounded awful to my ears. The first two days down to the 'bright'-sounding tone that new strings always provide - that 'you've just changed those strings' sound that no brand escapes, and which I frankly hate. After that the guitar just sounded a bit flat and dead. That might though have simply been the wet weather. I stuck with it and got the strings played-in.

Now it sounds absolutely fantastic. I got the Orsino because I didn't like the twang-machine properties of a spruce top - cedar seems to even-out the tone and attenuates the lower registers, and for the wide nut. Now the strings feel like they belong on the guitar and the resonation and sustain is back and far better than with the original Elixirs. Last night I sneezed at one end of the room and the Orsino resonated at the other, hanging off the wall! That was weird. In fact with any loud voice or sound in the room, even from the telly, the Orsino will resonate on its own.

So if you have put Newtones on and they initially sound rubbish - stick with it and stick with them for at least a week. It really will be worth it.

It is interesting that some folk dislike the sound of new strings! I personally LOVE the sound,but it is down to personal taste.Bert Jansch didn't like the sound of new strings and much preferred the sound of a played in string!

Best.

G.

aviator

Postby aviator » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 am

I absolutely don't like the sound of old or worn-out strings. But likewise for brand-new strings. Too much metal, not enough guitar. After being played-in the tone sounds more guitar and less string (to me).

I have a terrible habit of playing with a thumb-pick, but only on US-written pieces. I've been practising a repertoire with the new guitar I'm provisionally calling 'Mid-Atlantic' - a mix of American and British acoustic pieces played on an English guitar. I might even inflict my own compositions into the list! Having the new guitar has inspired me to take it out-the-house and take the dip into playing live without a distortion pedal.

The idea is of a US derived piece, then a UK one, alternating, but with a theme, such as water/the sea, Irish, romance, progressive...with one exception (a Belgium piece). The last piece is a distinct US-sounding composition but written by a Brit.

But playing brand-new strings with a thumb-pick sounds just horrible, and that's been the primary influence over the liking for played-in strings.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”