VIntage. GG Deluxe

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

kevin

VIntage. GG Deluxe

Postby kevin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Good review in Acoustic magazine, out today. Looks like a winner.Incidently Gordon will the cheaper models still be available as I. Still fancy a mahogany model though the Deluxe might tempt me at the price

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: VIntage. GG Deluxe

Postby GORDON » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:35 pm

They sure will sir!

G.

HawkofMay

Postby HawkofMay » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:54 am

Now that it is on the JHS website (at an amazing affordable price),is there any chance of a sound sample on you tube Gordon?

aviator

Postby aviator » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 am

There's a pic and spec on the JHS website at http://www.jhs.co.uk/gordongiltrap.html, go down the page to the VE2000DLX.

The front is solid cedar and the back solid Rosewood with an ebony fingerboard on a mahogany neck.

If that's not high enough a spec' (with the Grover tuners and fitted hard case) the absolutely gob-smacking bit is the inclusion of a Fishman Rare Earth Blended pickup.

These things go for £259 on Amazon UK, and even in the States Musician's Friend sell them for $309 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fishman-rare-earth-blend-soundhole-pickup) with an MRRP of $476.85.

Indeed I don't know of a factory-delivered guitar that even comes with a Fishman REB, and a permanent fitting from a luthier of an after-market example would normally set you back £100 (plus the risks in having your treasured possession mangled with a sliding drill bit!)

The JHS-quoted price is £699. Seeing as the 'normal' VE2000GG JHS price is £499 but the likes of Reidy's (http://www.reidys.com/br/guitars/electro_acoustic_guitars/vintage/gordon_giltrap_signature/r)
discount that to £349 (and apparently sell a hoot load of them) I can easily imagine a 'street price' for the VE2000DLX being £599 or even £550. Even at it's MMRP it is likely to dominate at its price point - at the £700-800/$1000-$1200 range you are in the affordable-but-high-quality zone for acoustics. Drop to less that £600 and with its Fishman pre-built-in the VE2000DLX will sell a bucket-load. Shame it will arrive a little after Xmas, but initial sales should be high enough to ensure it breaks into the US market for next year.

I imagine a few manufacturers will be a bit scared of this - particularly Taylor. Their entire Western red Cedar range through the 416ce, 514ce, 512ce, GA5, GS5, GC5, GA7, GS7 & GC7, particularly those with the rubbish ES electronics on-board are particularly threatened.

I won't be surprised if Gordon is invited to go on a JHS-sponsored US tour next year.
Last edited by aviator on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:30 am

HawkofMay wrote:Now that it is on the JHS website (at an amazing affordable price),is there any chance of a sound sample on you tube Gordon?

You bet there will be my friend.The guys at JHS have pulled out all the stops on this one that's for sure.

Be well.

G.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:54 pm

kevin wrote:Good review in Acoustic magazine, out today. Looks like a winner.Incidently Gordon will the cheaper models still be available as I. Still fancy a mahogany model though the Deluxe might tempt me at the price

I have had sight of this review.It is OUTSTANDING!

G.

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Aviator: I won't be surprised if Gordon is invited to go on a JHS-sponsored US tour next year.[/quote]

That would make some of us very happy! :D

To have the guitar on sale here would be great, but to have the man himself would be outstanding!

All the best,

Roger USA

daniellouisduffy

Postby daniellouisduffy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:49 am

Yeah Congrats to Gordon and JHS and Rob Armstrong on the review- absolutely aced another one! They couldn't find more than one tiny fault with the whole thing- looks like another MIA award may be in the works and I may need to sart saving! :)

Richard716

Postby Richard716 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Another fantastic guitar review

http://www.jhs.co.uk/reviews/GGAcousticMagJan2013.pdf

one for my birthday list me thinks :D

aviator

Postby aviator » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:33 am

I'm saving pound coins in a jamjar (though I get regularly robbed for parking change and swimming-pool locker usage!)

Nonetheless with Xmas pennies I'm nearly a 1/3rd of the way saved-up for a Deluxe!

I'm selling my accumulated collection of NOS (New Old Stock) electron valves for hi-fi's and guitar amps this year - the new Headway amp is solid state and the current Blackstar HT-5 doesn't use any of the tubes I collect - so not much need for Mullards and Phillips valves anymore. The sales should pay for a holiday and perhaps the balance on a deluxe. Finding it tough playing my cheap Chinese guitar with its 42mm nut!

slidefever

Postby slidefever » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and very interested in the latest GG signature model. I'm primarily a slide player (acoustic and electric) and use resonators which have chunky necks and wide fretboards. Reading the review in Acoustic guitar, I was heartened to read that the deluxe has a slightly chubbier neck than the previous version which would suit me. I also read it has a 46mm nut width, which is also my preference. I've not had the chance to try the other models, the neck profile of which was described as a generous 'D'. I am unsure as to how 'chubby' the neck is when compared to say a National polychrome resonator. I'm also interested in the reason why the new model does have slightly chubbier neck.

Any thoughts, comments, experience or theories are appreciated.

Regards

Chris 8)

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi Chris and welcome.

I,like yourself prefer wide fingerboards on guitars. I don't have particularly large hands,but like the freedom that a wider neck brings.

At present there are only two prototype GG deluxe guitars in the UK. I have one, and the review model was taken to the NAMM show in the States.

I can't say why the new GG guitar has a slightly larger neck, all I know is that it feels great and sounds wonderful.Pretty good reasons I'm you will agree for checking it out when it finally hits the stores here in the UK. This guitar represents outstanding value for money, and I still can't believe how amazing it is with such a modest price tag which is a shade under £700, and no doubt many stores will sell it at an even more attractive price.

My GG V2000 won acoustic guitar of the year for 2011,and it wouldn't surprise me if this new guitar will do the same!

Enough of this sales pitch!

Be Well sir.

G.

slidefever

Postby slidefever » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:24 am

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the warm welcome: don't worry about the sales pitch, a quality product sells itself! It appears to be an ideal all rounder. I'll certainly be checking this one out as soon as possible.

Regards

Chris

aviator

Postby aviator » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Gear4Music are advertising them at £629 and promising delivery for 26th February. £70 off the list price.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-Gordon-Giltrap-Deluxe-Signature-Model-Electro-Acoustic-Guitar/PLF

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 am

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... :?

I haven't suffered from that terrible affliction - GAS* - for quite some years now. However, looking at the specifications for the Deluxe version of the Vintage GG I'm starting to experience a very uncomfortable itching sensation in my wallet area... 8)

* Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”