A tab for The Mariner's Tale?

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Seagull27

A tab for The Mariner's Tale?

Postby Seagull27 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi all

I am currently looking for a tab (or online tutorial, etc) to help learn The Mariner's Tale. It was requested by a student of mine, but since hearing it I am equally keen to learn it for myself as I am to learn it for the purpose of teaching!

I have had a look on the net and have not been able to find a tab (or tutorial failing that) for the song. Someone on another forum recommended that I ask here.... So here I am, asking!

Would be very grateful for any help. Apologies in advance of this kind of request is not appropriate on this forum.

Kind regards

Max

scottj1

Re: A tab for The Mariner's Tale?

Postby scottj1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:21 pm

Hello Max

The Mariner's tale is tabbed in the book TOTAL GILTRAP.This is a great book still available with a huge amount of Gordon's pieces in it.

It's one of my favourite's too...amongst many!

best regards

Scott

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi Max
Lovely piece reminiscent of the Irish piece 'Marie's Wedding'. If you want to work Gordon's piece's out for yourself check the 'Tips and Tabs' section for a list of his tunings. This tuning is in F/Bb/D/G/Bb/C.
If you don't fancy the time working it out the Total Giltrap book will give you the TABs :)
Have fun!
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

Seagull27

Postby Seagull27 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:09 am

I think this might be one of the most addictive songs I've ever learnt! Since learning it a couple of days ago I just can't stop playing it.... It's so much fun to play, and so beautiful sounding. And I love the way it can be played so differently too; softly and gently, or loudly and brash.

Great stuff!

And :D to my student for asking to learn it!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:26 am

I must Re- visit that ancient Giltrap piece some time.SO glad it's bringing joy.If I remember correctly it is a bit tricky in parts!

Thanks to Scott and Bob for reminding me where I put it :D

Best.

G.

Seagull27

Postby Seagull27 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:27 am

I didn't have too much bother with the song in the main. Not easy by any stretch, but soon get there. That's with the song as it is in the book and on the book's CD....

However, the song proper goes ballistic for a short section toward the end. I can only imagine that that is very tough. Without a tab though it could be too fast and difficult to figure out by ear. Might still have an attempt though.

Cheers

Max

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:44 am

Well done Max, and yes it does go a bit crazy towards the end.

I must dig it out and relearn it.

It was, as you know written for a friend who damaged his two middle left hand fingers, and it was a way of encourageing him to play again!

Best of Regards.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Music”