What steel string guitars to consider?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: What steel string guitars to consider?

Postby GORDON » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:05 am

You are indeed a man of taste sir.Sadly wont have the Fylde tomorrow as I'm bringing extra guitars and space won't allow,but on my tour with Oliver Wakeman my GG Fylde Was on stage every night,and my cedar top Fylde is featured heavily on the new album.The Orsino is an OUTSTANDING guitar indeed.

Be well sir.

G.

aviator

Postby aviator » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:33 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the Bramall Hall gig on the 12th. Thank you for making it a super nights entertainment.

I hadn't seen you at that venue for many years - work abroad and other committments have reduced such opportunities to a minimum.

Although it had been my birthday the day before (hence the Fylde) I didn't quite have the bravery to ask for a request - unlike the one for Sally's Song from the birthday girl! As it is had I, I would have asked for On Camber Sands and that you covered! It's long been a favourite with it's 1 sec delay.

Favourite though of the night was undoubtably Tailor Bird, and Malcolm chose well with that one. Will you include it regularly into your sets? I know it is hard but you seemed to run through it with ease.

Of the guitars that surrounded you the baby £34 model was the one that struck me as particularly toneful. Next was the baritone.

Having only played the Orsino for a few days now I'm perceiving it getting better with every hour, as the strings lose their brand-new zing. The cedar waft is still pretty considerable too.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Aviator.

Good to hear from you sir and so glad you enjoyed last nights concert.

Yep, Tailor Bird is pretty much a permanent fixture in the set.

Wish you had said hello as I very much enjoy chatting with our FORUM friends.

Glad the FYLDE is bringing joy...Great guitars will always do that!

See at the next one in your area I hope.

Be Well and a jolly guitar filled Christmas to you and yours.

G.

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:30 pm

aviator wrote:Having only played the Orsino for a few days now I'm perceiving it getting better with every hour, as the strings lose their brand-new zing. The cedar waft is still pretty considerable too.

Aviator, great choice of guitar. You're going to love growing with the guitar. It's an amazing thing that hand built guitars really do improve their tone as you play them more and more. They age gracefully (unlike some of us!). Isn't it funny to think that, when you pulled it out of its case for the first time you were hearing it sound at its very worst... but only because it's going to continue to sound better and better and better and better. :D I know that's true of my Fylde and my Brook.

Happy strumming this Christmas!!

aviator

Postby aviator » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 pm

And to yourself Trevor and Mrs Trevor! Your advice was invaluable.

I worked from home today - silly thing to do! The guitar drew me in and I ended-up playing for an hour in the morning and then at noon and ended-up having to work late to catch-up.

As the strings lose their zing it gets better. I played my cheap Chinese-made 'travel' guitar on Sunday and the contrast couldn't be greater. Looking to replace that with a Vintage GG mahogany model next year, as having experienced the joys of 45mm-wide nut its hard to go back to a 'normal' width neck.

And the combination of a wide neck and gorgeous tone is intoxicating (well that might be the wafts of cedar that you get when it is played!) Bits of other peoples music I was stumped-by have suddenly become more manageable; I'd tried to play Al Pettaway's 'Seven Swan's' for ages but could never get the speed up. Now, without my fingers getting in the way I can (nearly) play it at its proper speed. And I'm even composing my own, such is the impact on my playing.

The guitar came with an unfitted Headway FEQ pickup still to be installed. I already have a Bartlett mic and the Orsino and Bartlett plus the Headway SK60 amp go very well together. Except at high volumes, as I'm having problems with feedback. Mixing the FEQ and the Bartlett together might do the trick though.

First trip out with it in the New Year!

vigman

Postby vigman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Only just catching up with the forum and have a couple of surprise recommendations for cheaper 6 strings that play well.

Firstly, it is a shame that current Yamaha guitars just don't play well, but my 1973 FG-100 still has a straight neck and fabulous tones. I'm sure you could still find an early Yamaha for a reasonable price.

I bought a second hand Norman B20 for c £100. It really has a big sound and with the right strings is a nice play

http://www.normanguitars.com/b20.html

My biggest surprise of the year was a joke buy! I saw this pink acoustic for sale at a boot sale. Tried it for fun and was amazed how good it was. It is a Vintage V300 and cost me £40! I have since found that it was voted Guitar magazine's best acoustic guitar for under £1000 !!!

http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Bras ... r-Pink/7JS

This might help others on a low budget like myself!

Regards

Vigman
Gordon signed my guitar at the Sloop Inn, IOW, 1969/70 whilst I was in the resident band "Witchazel"!.....and now at Cassington Village Hall October 2008.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”