Novice Wanting Help

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

bluecob

Novice Wanting Help

Postby bluecob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Novice Wanting Help

I hope this is the right area to post this but I do not think that it would be suitable to any other place.

I have been 'messin'' with a guitar for some time, knowing many chords, reasonable at fingerstyle etc. but by no means good. I would love to be able to knock out a tune in front of people knowing that firstly I could play it and secondly, that it sounded good.

Gordon has for years been my idol when it comes to playing so here is my question; can anyone recommend anywhere I can go online to find some tunes that can be played relatively easily but also impress?

I am possibly asking too much as no doubt I will be told to practise but at my age (in my 60's) I do not think I am going to improve anymore, I just need to polish what I have and perhaps not be too ambitious.

Any help and advise would be appreciated.
David W. Oddy

Bob Wilson

Re: Novice Wanting Help

Postby Bob Wilson » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:42 pm

You do not say if you play any alternate tunings. If you do, the piece ‘A Christmas Carol’ in Gordon’s ‘Tips and Tabs’ under ‘News’ on the Forum is nice to begin with.
Otherwise, I would think that ‘Maddie Goes West’ would be the right tune for you to learn. It’s not too easy (which of Gordon’s is?) but it is in normal tuning and the basics are quite easy to pick up once you have the right-hand banjoing style sussed.
Good luck
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

bluecob

Postby bluecob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks Bob, I will go take a look.
David W. Oddy

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:49 pm

I have said it before and will say it again."I love this FORUM".

SO many nice people willing to take time to share whatever knowledge they have.

That STRATEN guitar looks great on the Anoraks page doesn't it!

Be Well all.

G.

bluecob

Postby bluecob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Gordon

You won't remember me but we chatted years ago.

In my retirement I have picked up my guitar again and am going to take it a little more seriously so what better place to start than with your good self.

Cheers.
David W. Oddy

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm very touched and honoured sir.

Enjoy your guitar wherever it takes you.

Be Well.

G.

istreatf

Postby istreatf » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi - most of all Gordon's advice to enjoy your guitar is the most important of all.

I do, however disagree with your comment "but at my age (in my 60's) I do not think I am going to improve anymore," because there cannot be much difference in ages between the two of us. My guitar playing has come on leaps and bounds since I left work and, more importantly, started taking guitar lessons. This morning I had my result for Grade 5 RGT Acoustic Guitar and I have another Distinction to go with the two for Grades 3 and 4, taken at the last two exam sessions. If I can......... BUT, yes, you will have to practice. Make sure you enjoy your practice as well as your Guitar! Get yourself a Gordon Giltrap Vintage signature guitar and you will enjoy it even more.
Ian Streatfield

bluecob

Postby bluecob » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Ian

My "in my 60's' comment was a bit tongue in the cheek. What I really meant was that my fingers are not as nimble (or thin) as they used to be and so I need to ensure I do not take on something too ambitious.

Guitar lessons would be a great idea but living here in the wilds of France there are no teachers near, especially ones that speak English as well.

I would like some ideas on perhaps suitable tunes (bad word) I could consider trying to play. I can follow tabs and I will admit that songs I have already learnt have been from watching carefully someone playing (YouTube) and then spending hours working out the chords and the fingering. The hard way of doing something I know but the sense of achievement is brilliant.

I should say that I cannot read music.

All I am after is a repertoire of some tunes that I can knock out reasonably well whenever called upon to do so. I like a broad spectrum of music leaning towards some classical, finger style and country. Chet Atkins started me on my guitar career.

Many, many years ago when I was a lad I used to play lead guitar in a group and whilst this was brilliant it did cover up an awful lot of mistakes, and whilst we sounded good none of us really could play. But I got the bug.

Over the years I have dipped in and out of playing my guitar mainly because of having to work and bring up a family. Now I have the time to concentrate and start to play again.

Recently we went to a concert at a local Restaurant and there was a guy playing guitar who was brilliant. Not only could he play but he used a looper and some effects - and the result was astounding.

How I would loved to have been that guy.

David.
David W. Oddy

bluecob

Postby bluecob » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:51 am

Ages since I dipped in here so an update.

Last December I decided to do something about playing more seriously and after a couple of adverts got together a bunch of guys just to play and practise together. We meet each week in my Cellar and really enjoy it.

The lineup over the months has changed for various reasons but we are still going. I have just had three new people join us each week and we now have three guitarists - one who also plays bass and fiddle. A singer and another lady who sings as well. Our 'music' covers all sorts and we love it and the one thing this has done is made us play better, without realising it.

We are very near getting a drummer to join us as well and for some reason this has been the hardest thing to do. Drummers can be a weird lot!

If anyone asked what to do like I did many moons ago I would say get together with someone else to play, it not only gives you enthusiasm but you learn off each other. Sitting on your own practising can be boring and I know the 'pros' have to do this but if you are just an amateur player doing it for fun get together with others.

We have no intention of going gigging but who knows, maybe an 'open mic' night might tempt us in the future.
David W. Oddy

Return to “General Chat”