Basic Setup

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

bluecob

Basic Setup

Postby bluecob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Any Suggestions?

In my retirement I am taking up my guitar again purely for my own use as I am not that good, but would like to ask for sone advise.

Recently I saw a guy in a local hostelry (we live in France) playing and singing using I think a Boss RC3 looper and some sort of amplified mixer deck which everything ran through and provided the amplification for the guitar and mic. It was brilliant and very impressive.

Can anyone suggest some equipment (I like the Boss RC3) that is not going to cost the earth, will only be used at home so does not need to be mega powerful, and comprehensive enough for me to do a similar thing i.e. play guitar laying down loop tracks and sing with some 'massaging' of my voice as I am not that good.

I might just stick to playing but the option to sing would be useful.

Thanks.
David W. Oddy

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Basic Setup

Postby GORDON » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:28 pm

You can pick up early versions of the Loop Station quite cheaply on E Bay.I still use the first basic version of the Boss Looper and it's fine.if you want to record your fx though you need to go via the mixer from the fx first and then in to the Looper.good luck sir. G.

bluecob

Postby bluecob » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks Gordon, that is some good advice, no need to call me sir though. :P

I have a brilliant idea. I think it is time you had a new looper - and sold me your old one. What do you think? :roll: :lol:
David W. Oddy

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm still struggling with the old one at the moment but thanks for the offer sir.

Best.G.

bluecob

Postby bluecob » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:11 pm

I have been looking at the Fender Passport range and not sure whether to go this way or for a Peavey power mixer setup.

I think the BOSS RC3 looper is the one to go for as well.

I am on a limited budget and not wanting to fill auditoriums - just friends front rooms, garden parties etc.

Anyone got any other suggestions?
David W. Oddy

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:07 pm

The Boss/LoopStation options you're looking at sound about right. As do the small PA options. The Passports do give a creditable sound for their size and portability. You might also consider whether you might go for a decent quality acoustic amp instead of a PA depending on what sort of applications you're looking at for the set up.

Tee hee hee... all this chat about looping put me in mind of my chum and amazing loopy bass player, Steve Lawson. He had a fan who was an electronics engineer who said to him, "What would you want out of your ultimate looper? I'll build it for you." It's now sold as the "Looperlative" and could probably control the Space Shuttle!

Here's some Lionel Ritchie-based silliness from the last London Guitar Show...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/FdUBBoUpApo

And here's some 80s rock ballad silliness with his wife Lobelia...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/-v8zq6HRRhQ

And finally the hauntingly beautiful Grace and Gratitude...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/g7IofD4lSq0

bluecob

Postby bluecob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks Trevor for some great input. I have had a quick look at the Looperlative and my initial thoughts were a bit pricey for what it is and would it stand up to lots of use as the switches looked a bit fragile. I think BOSS still have it.

Loved the videos by the way.
David W. Oddy

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:42 am

Yes, the Looperlative is kinda the Rolls Royce of loopers and probably only for folks whose musical brains inhabit a sphere of musical sublimeness we could only ever dream of! :) My chum Steve is certainly from another planet (musically that is)! :lol:

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”