Hello Gordon

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Sunset Johnson

Hello Gordon

Postby Sunset Johnson » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:28 pm

I don't think I've mentioned to you when we've chatted at Port Isaac that I once opened for you in Liverpool. Mainly because I couldn't remember when! Now I have come across my old gig book, so I can reveal the details...

It was on 22 May 1975 and I opened for you and Roy Harper at the Mountford Hall in the Students' Union. Seems I played 8 songs and was paid £5 plus drink - good money for me then. I was right at the end of my time there as a student, and on 19 June I played an all day free concert in the same hall that proved (though I had no idea of it that day) to be my last gig for 27 years. I went off to London, got intimidated by all the talent there, met someone non-musical, got married, and stopped playing in public - until Saturday 1 June 2002 at Port Isaac Village Hall, when I took it up again.

All the best, Paul
www.myspace.com/sunsetj
www.sunsetjohnson.com
New Acoustic Music

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:44 pm

Hi Paul.

Well, well, well, what a small world. I remember that gig well. I shared a dressing room with Roy, and his first words on seeing me were..Well, have you improved? I still remind him of that on the rare occasions that I see him. Great days, and how good that you are back playing for us!

My best to you and yours.

G.

Sunset Johnson

Postby Sunset Johnson » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:07 am

I'm glad you remember the Liverpool gig (which was actually 22 May 1974, not 1975 - I got the year wrong). I recall there was a small upstairs room for the perfomers, above and behind the stage. For me as a student, used to playing floor spots at folk clubs, it was was a dream occasionally getting to play this large auditorium (usually by blagging my way onto the bill), and being able to talk to the perfomers beforehand. I recall getting an encore once before Martin Carthy got to go on - he was really nice about it though.

I've just rediscovered "Dodo's Dream", through finding the live YouTube version on here. It's just fab. I've put the link on my Myspace page.

Thanks Gordon, and keep up your great work.

Paul
www.myspace.com/sunsetj
www.sunsetjohnson.com

New Acoustic Music

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”