Buzz from Strings on GG Guitar

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

HawkofMay

Buzz from Strings on GG Guitar

Postby HawkofMay » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:13 am

I recently changed strings on my Vintage GG 6 string Cedar top for the first time. I replaced with the same brand and gauge that the guitar came with but immediately noticed a string buzz, particularly from the ‘g’ and ‘b’ strings. It appeared to be coming from the bridge area and one person in a local folk club advised that it might be because the strings were not seated in the notches that the original strings had cut into the bridge. Another said it was likely to be caused by fret contact somewhere and advised I give the truss rod a counter clockwise turn. Of course that depends which way the guitar is facing. The truss rod entry is at the head stock end, so do I complete the turn with the head stock closest to me or the body of the guitar closest? The action is not particularly low and from my untrained eye I can see no fret contact. Can anyone give any advice on the order of things I should do to diagnose and correct the fault without having to go to a guitar tech?

Thank You

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Buzz from Strings on GG Guitar

Postby GORDON » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:50 am

Hello sir.

Sorry to hear about the string buzz problem.

Because this is a new instrument it will to a degree be settling. Even high end guitars are subject to a degree of movement.

Tweaking the truss rod would be my first thought.I usually set my guitars up myself, but there is always the option of taking it to a good guitar tech for a set up and fret dress.I shant say anymore because I know many folk on this forum have equally good suggestions when it comes to things of this nature.

To adjust the truss rod you need to insert the allen key and turn ANTI clock wise to relieve the tension. It only takes a slight adjustment. This may do the trick.

I shall now hand over to my pals, Bob, Russ and Trev for their expert advice.

Be Well and THANKYOU for chosing that guitar my friend.

G.

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:58 am

Hi HawkofMay
I think Gordon's advice is spot on. With new guitars they often take a little tweaking over the first few weeks and especially when you change strings for the first time. A friend of mine had major problems on a new Telecaster. Eventually he brought it along and we fixed it in about 25 minutes. Just tweaking the truss rod anti clockwise a little at a time should fix the problem. I usually only turn about 1/8 to 1/4 at a time as it is very easy to overdo it. Once you get it near play a couple of tunes on it to bed it in, then check it again. Make sure the strings are seated on your bridge OK and check that the old strings didn't cut in too much. I f you use alternate tunings sometimes the strings can dig in too much and this may cause a problem. I would think the truss rod tweak will fix the problem
Good luck
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

HawkofMay

Postby HawkofMay » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks to Gordon and Bob for their help so far. Just one question, when I turn the truss rod anti-clockwise do I have the head stock closest to me whilst looking down the neck towards the body or the body of the guitar closest? If I get it the wrong way around anti-clockwise becomes clockwise.

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:02 pm

Yep, the top of the neck near you looking down to the body. Think of the allen key as a screwdriver and turn it a little at a time.
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

HawkofMay

Postby HawkofMay » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 am

That's great Bob, thanks

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sat May 12, 2012 12:03 am

Eigth of a turn at a time and you wont go wrong. Also, as a matter of interest, what you hear is often at the opposite end of the guitar. If I hear bridge end buzz I will first look at the top nut and check for loose machine heads!

HawkofMay

Postby HawkofMay » Sat May 12, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks Russ. The problem turned out not to be as a result of set up. There are apparently two screws holding the bridge in place with securing nuts on the underside of the table. One or both had come loose resulting in the buzzing. The guys at the music shop, where I bought the guitar, found this out and managed to tighten them, thus preventing a return to JHS for repair.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”