Practice, is RGT the answer

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Richard716

Practice, is RGT the answer

Postby Richard716 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Gordon

My practice often always reverts to playing what I know, not good I hear you cry! :cry:

It has been suggested to me that I take lessons. This got me thinking and I thought that something based around an exam at the end might concentrate my practice. I see that you are listed as an RGT patron.

http://www.rgt.org/info/patrons.php

I would be extremely interested to hear your thoughts on this, especially the best way to practice.

Thanks, Richard :D

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Practice, is RGT the answer

Postby GORDON » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi Richard.

You know the older I get, the less I have a practise regime. For me working on new material is a great way to keep the hands and brain in shape. Failing that I just keep practising my most challenging pieces like A Dublin Day and The Tailor Bird. Both these pieces, particularly Tailor Bird are many many years old. All that tells me is that I was pushing my own personal boundaries all those years ago. Tailor Bird has recently found its way back into my repertoire via my work with the great Raymond Burley who arranged a stunning second part for the piece, and one of the challenging pieces we performed at West Dean College recently in front of an audience of virtuoso guitarists....Scary or what!

I hope this helps sir. Failing that you could check out David Mead's excellent book, 10 MINUTE ACOUSTIC GUITAR WORKOUT SMT publications for which I wrote the FOREWORD. The other good way to keep the hands in shape without taxing the brain too much is by playing in front of the TV, preferably with an unplugged electric. It is amazing what can on occasion come out. I wrote Five Dollar guitar that way!

Good luck.

G.

Richard716

Postby Richard716 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Gordon,

Thanks for the tips, but not being a virtuoso guitarist like your good self means that the cupboards are bare for me. I like the idea of playing with the electric unplugged whilst watching the TV, I suspect my wife would like me to do this all of the time!

To think you thought it scary to play at West Dean College is incredible as you make playing the guitar look so easy.

As always thanks for responding.

Richard

roxoff66

Postby roxoff66 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi Richard
I agree with Gordons' comment that practice is a part, for him, of the quest for new ideas. To put the horse before the cart maybe, you reach a point where it is inherent, in the search for new ideas, that practice takes place almost by stealth.
I try to maintain even finger strength and now and again swop lead fingers for runs or chords, see where it leads.
Is there a "best way" or what suits your cicumstances,needs etc? Practising for what? Richard, that will also determine how much you put your foot on the gas! If setting out to achieve qualifications pushes you then go for it. What's to lose. In any case it's not exclusive and you can combine suggestions, such as Gordons, re publications explaining guitar playing method. There's more than one road to roam/Rome.

Setting deadlines for performance, songwriting/composing or cash on the line studio time, certainly works wonders for getting you on your toes and out of a rut!
I hope, Richard, that my ramblings have been of some use to you. Cheers Paul

Richard716

Postby Richard716 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response too. I am off to Rome, just deciding on which roads to take :)

Cheers, Richard

roxoff66

Postby roxoff66 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi Richard
whichever road you take, enjoy the journey, and the destination, well; it speaks for itself!
Cheers
Paul

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”