struggling with roots part 1

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

daniellouisduffy

struggling with roots part 1

Postby daniellouisduffy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:09 pm

I have been attempting to learn roots part 1 for some time now, and have just figured that i have been playing it totally wrong. I was playing the demisemiquavers (32nd notes) in the peice as semi quavers, and so i was out of time by a quaver. I only noticed this when listening to the piece on you tube the other day. My problem is i now have to double the speed of my left hand hammer ons and pull offs, which seems impossible to me- i simply can't imagine accomplishing it. So does gordon or anyone else have any tips concerning this part of the piece, particularly how to play the notes fast enough to keep in time? Thanks so much- any help would be appreciated :)

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: struggling with roots part 1

Postby GORDON » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Dear Daniell.

I'm SO sorry you're struggling my friend.

Roots is tricky and has a sort of double hammer and pull off technique that I developed way back then, and can, I must admit, cause problems. There are I'm afraid no short cuts, just hours of playing it SLOWLY and then building up to speed.

Thanks for at least attempting this stuff, I really do admire anyone for having a go!

Be Well.

G.

daniellouisduffy

Postby daniellouisduffy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:33 pm

thanks gordon!- i guess ill just persevere, and maybe over time the speed won't seem so unnattainable- if i see you at the bramhall hall christmas concert this year, (hope thats going ahead by the way- you mentioned that it was being threatened by budget cuts of some kind last time), ill put it in the request book and i can see how it should be played! :)

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:57 pm

Have you ever considered a one to one lesson?

Best.

G.

daniellouisduffy

Postby daniellouisduffy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:10 am

I hadn't actually but i'll definetly consider it and ask parents for sufficient funds etcetera! Do you know if the bramhall concert is happening this year by the way? :)

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Hope Bramall is on but can't guarantee it.

Keep practising Daniell.

G.

aviator

Postby aviator » Thu May 10, 2012 4:10 pm

GORDON wrote:Hope Bramall is on but can't guarantee it.

Keep practising Daniell.

G.

I too am trying to teach myself this. You kindly autographed a copy of the VoicePrint book at Bramhall years ago for me, and so it sat on a bookcase for years and years, with me too scared to try any of the pieces.

Finally, whilst working in Ireland last year I gave some of them a try, having hours in my room in a guesthouse to wile away the time. Although I wanted to play acoustic, I always saw electric guitar as an 'easier' option - you can hide behind distortion and feedback, and most of the time only play with a pick. Having to use all five picking fingers, or a pick and three fingers is a bit of a step-change!

'roots' still defeats me. I must have spent over a 100 hours on it and it still sounds wonky. I hit all the notes, but it is the phrasing and most of all speed that is lacking.

But if it was easy it wouldn't be any fun trying to learn it!

If you play Bramall Hall in 2012 and ask 'any requests?' there might be a few for this one.

Return to “Gordon's Music”