CLIFFORD T WARD.

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

GORDON
Site Admin

CLIFFORD T WARD.

Postby GORDON » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:33 am

I have been meaning to post these thoughts on the site for some time time now.

I have recently been asked to arrange a Clifford T Ward track for a project.I have been a huge admirer of his work for years. He was without a doubt one of THE great songwriters...full stop!

The sad thing is that if you look on YOUTUBE, the number of views for this late great mans work is pitifully small,and yet when you look at postings for guitarists, and that includes me the figures are at times astonishingly huge!

Here was a man who wrote works with a stamp of genius about them. Songs and melodies that indeed touch the soul.When one then looks at some shredding guitarist who can play a thousand souless notes per second they are sometimes in six figures!

I could spend hours listening to Clifford T Ward and his hauntingly beautiful creations,and reflect on his sad passing at such a young age,compared to 'flash' guitar players any day.

Don't get me wrong here; I'm delighted at the figures I get for many of my YOUTUBE postings but for music with depth and beauty they don't come much better that Clifford T. Of course one can't really compare one genre of music to the other and folks taste in music is pretty vast.Maybe in my own way I'm trying to create in tunes what CTW did with his songs. I wish I had met him!

Go check out this beautiful music, so English and soul searching.

Love to all.

G.

kevin

Re: CLIFFORD T WARD.

Postby kevin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:50 am

Hi Gordon
A very passionate post
I loved his song "Gaye" as a child and although I did not really follow this up or become a "fan" I have always thought that there was something a bit special about his work.
Just having a look on you tube has made me think I should look more deeply into what Clifford did so thanks for that and I look forward to the arrangement if you do it. Can you say which song?
"so English" is a very apt, description, its a feeling!
Best wishes
Kevin

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Kevin.

Up in the World....what a stunning song.

Time will tell if I can do it justice or even bring something of myself to this beautiful song.

Thanks so much for your posting my friend.

Be Well.

G.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi Gordon,

Although I was familiar with the name of CTW your posting sent me off on an online search for the man and his work. I then realised just how many of his songs I knew and loved - must have an LP tucked away from my youth....

Unfortunately fame and fortune often have little to do with recognition and reward of true talent - a conversation I know we've had on several occasions. A catchy tune with meaningless lyrics is more likely to have success and appeal to the masses than a beautiful, thoughtful, poetic composition hence the massive but (usually ) shortlived fame of people from the likes of X factor and Pop Idol - how many of them will be remembered 10, 20 years from now ? Give me a song that makes me think and feel or music that makes me smile or cry anyday.

Seems Cliff Richard is a big CTW fan, having also done a version of Up In The World himself. Greatly looking forward to hearing the piece given a Giltrap style make over, it could well end up a classic in its own right.

Sue
GG webmaster

J and L

Postby J and L » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:30 pm

G.
Quick thoughts on previous ideas :wink: ;
Stick to the positive.
There is room for all genres of music.
We should make the most of which ever vehicle helps us to follow our dream.
'Up in the World' is a beautiful creation, if you feel it, go for it.
Nuff said!
x

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:41 pm

You speak the truth J.

The point I was making was that this dear departed genius I feel deserves more recognition, and if I can in my own way direct people to his music then I will have served a good purpose.

Love to you and him indoors.

G.x

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:25 am

Gordon,

I have very fond memories of you and I exchanging posts on your forum a few years ago. It was around about Xmas time and I seem to remember that our "conversation" resulted from you being very open and honest about the guitarists who had influenced your playing, one of those being Bert Jansch. Until that time I didn't know too much about Bert, but I now have several of his CDs and enjoy his music - I just regret not plucking up the courage to chat with him at your 60th party!

I know the name Clifford T Ward, but like Bert a few years ago I'm not familiar with his music. Needless to say I will be visiting youtube.

Best to you and Hilary,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:53 am

You won't regret it Roger.

This mans music will make you cry I guarantee. He deserves more recognition.

Hope you guys are well.

G.

Jane White

Postby Jane White » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Hello Gordon. Your post about CTW has brought so many memories flooding back - I was a HUGE fan when I was in my teens and still have three of his albums on vinyl. Although Home Thoughts was the popular one, my preference by far was "Mantle Pieces". "Not Waving, Drowning" and "Are You Really Interested" are both hauntingly beautiful tracks.
Terry Wogan was a CTW admirer and often used to play "Home Thoughts" on his morning breakfast show.
I can remember how shocked and saddened I was when I heard he had MS and there was no prospect of any more CTW music. His lyrics are spellbinding and, at times, very thought provoking. I seem to recall that, before he entered the world of professional music, he was an English teacher, but I may have imagined that?!
Thank you for taking me back in time. As a result of your gentle reminder, I have just ordered "Mantle Pieces" on CD as I discovered it has been re released after being unavailable for 20 years.
Hope you're enjoying the summer. We've just about got over our party - happy days!
Jane xx

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi Jane.

This has made my day to know that I have started a thread here. I'm on a bit of a mission re CTW so keep your eye on the NEWS page!

CTW was indeed an English teacher.

So glad the party went well. Great memories indeed.

Have a cracking weekend both....Hope the sun shines!

G.xx

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:43 pm

I think I first heard of Clifford on Noel Edmunds' (Sunday morning?) show in the early Radio1 days. Went out and bought Home Thoughts From Abroad LP soon afterwards. Coincidentally, just recently I was prompted to get hold of a compilation cd after finding the Youtube videos Gordon talked about.

'Up in the world' is one of my favourite CTW songs. While Art Garfunkel's version, on the Scissors Cut album, gets somewhere near to how (I think) Clifford meant it to be, no one does the song like the man himself - those poignant lyrics coupled with that stark vulnerability and honesty in his voice can tear you apart.

Another favourite CWT number of mine is 'The Best is Yet to Come,' which Colin Blunstone covers beautifully on his solo album, Echo Bridge.

Good luck with the project, Gordon. What an honour.

Pauline

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:15 pm

I know this thread is old, but as I am a new member I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I have also long thought CTW was an underrated singer-songwriter.

My playlist of his music includes the classics Gaye and Home Thoughts from Abroad that have endured and aged well, along with Wherewithal, Where Would That Leave Me and The Best is Yet to Come.

I always liked Nightingale and thought it sounded like a McCartney composition.

Meaningful songs complemented beautifully by his voice and playing. His long term health problems no doubt restricted his output, but what is out there is worthy of attention.

Roger

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Welcome to the forum from Roger UK :D

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Ditto from me sir.

G.

kevin

Postby kevin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi Gordon
Just wanted to say I was in an Oxfam shop today and came upon a CTW vinyl album called Escalator. Its now mine for £3.99.
Dug out my old record player and it plays!
Dont no where this might lead but it could see me reverting back to vinyl.
I probably wouldnt have bought it without you starting this thread so thanks for that.
Any one else on here still play or collect vinyl?
Best wishes
Kevin

Return to “More Music”