Acoustic Amp

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Richard716

Acoustic Amp

Postby Richard716 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi,

I am looking to purchase an acoustic amp, one that seems to have a lot of good feadback and features is the Marshall AS100D. I have a Yamaha APX700 electro acoustic and an electric Musicman Luke with piezo bridge. Does anyone have the Marshall AS100D or can you suggest another option. I look forward to your suggestions. :)

By the way Gordon, why no North East performances :cry: Your show at the Alnwick playhouse was superb when you last played way up North!

Thanks, Richard

Jon G

Re: Acoustic Amp

Postby Jon G » Sun May 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi

I've had the older AS80R for many years and it's done great service.
Nothing can possibly go wrong...

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 02, 2011 9:59 am

Hi Richard!

What's the budget?

Cheers! Mike
The older I get, the better I used to be

Richard716

Postby Richard716 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi Mike,

Depends on who you ask, I say £400 my wife, aka the guvnor, says nothing!!! Joking apart up to £400

Cheers Richard

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon May 02, 2011 5:37 pm

I have just purchased a Fishman LOUDBOX, and it's great, worth checking out at the JHS website!

Be Well.

G.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Well, there y'go!

... from the horse's mouth so to speak! (No offence Gordon!)

The only acoustic amps I have experience of (strictly as an observer of course!) are AER, but they're a bit out of your budget.

Cheers! Mike
The older I get, the better I used to be

Richard716

Postby Richard716 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Gordon, I will check out the Fishman Loudbox. Mike, don't you always just want a larger budget :)

Cheers Richard

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Tue May 03, 2011 7:24 am

On the Marshall. I've got an AS50R which is lovely especially considering the price. It's got a nice analogue chorus and reverb, phase and notch for anti-feedback. The guitarist in the band I play in upgraded his AS50R to the AS100R and we both hated the sound of its digital effects - very cold and clinical. He sold it and traded back down to the 50W version which he's still using to this day.

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sat May 07, 2011 11:58 pm

If you can afford to wait a bit, keep an eye on Ebay for a Torque TA100 or TA50. Obviously, it depends what you want to do with it, but if you need very loud, omni-directional acoustic projection in noisy environments (ie on stage with a band) no one has yet equalled what Torque came out with ten or so years or ago. All the amps mentioned her so far are very good, but most are very directional....not important if you are always going to be 'on axis' to your amps speaker, but not so good if you are stood up or want to move around a bit when you are playing. At the end of the day, what you need is a high quality PA in a small box that is transparent and doesn't falsely colour or improve the sound of your guitar. Don't forget, if you are going to DI the signal or mic up the amp, the end result can still only be as good as the PA it is being broadcast through!! A very expensive 'high-end' acoustic amp rarely sounds as good to the audience as it does to the player!!!
Good luck in your quest!!

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”