Gordon's 12-string

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Jon G

Gordon's 12-string

Postby Jon G » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 am

Gordon, I was reminiscing yesterday and thought of the 12-string you had back in the early 70s, with some black chequered inlay on the face. It may have been a John Bailey but I'm not sure.

I remember offering to buy it from you at a gig at Surrey Uni in
March '73, though actually I didn't have any money. (A student sit-in was happening, I think, and I blagged my way in with a guitar in lieu of a Student Union card).

Can you remember anything about it?
Nothing can possibly go wrong...

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:14 pm

Hey John...

What a memory you have sir.

Yes, that guitar....LOOOONG GONE.If my memory serves me well it was made by a guy called Nick Odell . It played OK but was quite heavy. It wasn't until I got by first FYLDE that I understood what a great 12 string should sound like. Having said that...I did have a lovely Harmony 12 string that I parted with only very recently.It sounded great!

Happy New year to you guv.

G.

Jon G

Postby Jon G » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:41 pm

That nudged my memory again ... ahh yes, the Mr Odell who's credited on the "Giltrap" album.

Well, it was certainly a pretty guitar, and I remember it sounded good when I heard it on several occasions - but that might have had something to do with the player.

But it was the combination that enthused me to get into playing 12-string. My old Epiphone is still soldiering on unbowed and unbuckled after 35 years, and my Alvin Davies Ricki 620 upgrade does the electric biz in place of the sadly missed doubleneck. Why play 6 when 12 will do?

A Happy New Year to you too - it's good to know you're doing stuff on 12-string again.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi Jon.

Sadly the old double neck resembles a pair of banana's the necks are so warped! But the good thing is that it is still with me and forevermore will stay that way. Wonder who's got that old 12 string? Bet it sounds great now after all those years of playing and settling in.

I'm not surprised that Epiphone of your's still plays well, they were so well made back then. If my memory serves me well your's would be the Jap model with laminate timbers and bolt on neck and adjustable bridge. I truly am an anorak!

Best.

G.

Jon G

Postby Jon G » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Great Scott, wot a memory!

I remembered my hero playing the thing publicly several times - you remembered from one brief trip to pick up the doubleneck. Rispeck.

Though there is a piccy on my website, I suppose...

But yes, I'm very impressed with Jap Epiphone quality. I inherited a similar 6 string from a friend of mine who sadly died a few years ago, but I gave it to a bloke in Russia. Nice guitar. Nice friend. Nice bloke in Russia...

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”