When / where did you first see Gordon play?

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:51 pm

I'm a newer fan than most who've posted on here. I first saw Gordon at the 60th birthday special at Birmingham Town Hall last September. I didn't really know anything about him before then, and I only went as a spur of the moment thing because I felt like seeing some live music that evening, preferably at the town hall because it is such a magical place...I was up for seeing practically anything! I thought I might just possibly enjoy it, but I did not expect to be overwhelmed, entranced and captivated. His music really touches me; makes me feel tranquil and uplifted. Blimey, I'm sounding quite evangelical, aren't I! But anyway, I'm just delighted that I made the discovery, albeit rather late. Thank you for the music, as they say.[/i][/b]

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:41 pm

Dear Pauline.

Hello and welcome. We are delighted you made the effort on the off chance of attending the Brum show. We hope you attend more GG concerts in your area.

Warm Regards.

Gordon.

Kev

Postby Kev » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:44 pm

I was almost 21 in later 1977. I was asked whether I'd like to earn afew bob working for the Victoria Palace theatre (in London) as an usher (show people to their seats, and the rest was free).
I accepted and was introduced to some very good talent. Gordon Giltrap had a profound affect, with his albums, and I believe the first signs of "heartsong". (can you recall, Gordon, the date of your first airing?).

I look at the link for TOTP, and recall vividy.
PS . We all hear of artistes going on to further success, EG: ultravox - Midge ure - band aid; Ginger Baker. What happened to your support group, Gordon, any success?

Can i also mention, that another group "The Enid" also captured my heart, in the 5 months I worked for the VP.

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:10 pm

A very good friend introduced me to Visionary in the late 70s and I promptly went out and got my own copy, followed by the 12 inch picture single of Fear of the Dark.
Scroll forward many years and my son,Graham, then about 16 and intending to carve a career in the music business, and I met Gordon for the first time at the Music Live exhibition at the N.E.C. in about 2000.

When I admitted that I had never attended a GG gig I was told that it was jolly well about time that I had. My first was at the Key Theatre in Peterborough shortly afterwards where I updated my collection by buying about five or six albums from Hilary on the merchandise stall. I'm happy to say that I pretty much have a full set now and Fiona and I go to see Gordon whenever we can. We especially like the intimate village hall type events.

I also remember *The Enid* from many moons ago - I have two albums of theirs - Touch Me and Six Pieces. Anyone know what happened to this band?

Kev

Postby Kev » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:51 pm

The Enid, Eh!

I found this link a little while ago.

Awesome, 3 keyboards one player (Rick Wakeman, Enjoy)

http://www.theenid.com/ :D

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:27 am

Thank you for that Kev. Been busy little rascals haven't they?

Keith

Kev

Just found this, aaah takes me back...

Postby Kev » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:33 pm

JamesHackett

Postby JamesHackett » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:52 pm

I first saw gordan two days ago,

Must admit to not knowing him until my dad showed me about 6-7 months ago but i've been nothing but impressed since. I went to the rondoe theatre in bath and it was a very enjoyable few hours. I loved Appalachian Dreaming and am trying to find a tab to spend hours shreading my fingers and pulling my hair out in an atempt to play it

I look forward to the next gig down this way and will definatly attend :)

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi James
And welcome to the Forum. I was at the Rondo too and I thought the second half was particularly good. The best version of Lucifers Cage I have heard (so far). The acoustics in the theatre were particularly good and the person on sound had it nailed. The Dodo's Dream that Gordon dedicated to my wife and I also had a new feel to it. I found out later that Gordon has slightly changed some of the preset settings, and they certainly worked.
As for Appalacian Dreaming, I don't think the Tabs are out yet, although I will be trying to work them out soon :) . But don't forget you have to put on 4 octave strings and a screw at the 10 fret :shock: Check out Gordons Tricks and Tabs for the tuning chart to some of Gordons pieces.
A great night out, I agree, a lovely venue and great to meet old freinds and other forum members
Be well
Bob

JamesHackett

Postby JamesHackett » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:27 am

Hi Bob

I think i was outside talking to you after the gig?
We helped gordan carry the guitars out then you exchanged numbers with my dad?

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:43 pm

I have been a fan of GG since I was about 8 or 9 as my sister had "Visionary" and "Perilous Journey" that were fresh around that time, so I grew up with his music. I loved the Gordon Giltrap band and when the music book "A Special Collection" came out I found a copy at the local library and borrowed it (several times). The trouble was I found the pieces really challenging and so I thought that I would never be able to play any of them.

After some years of gently improving my playing I took up classical guitar and my proficiency was catapulted to new levels. Not long after I leapt at the opportunity to see Gordon at The Fleece Inn, Bretforton in 2006. Despite being a long-standing fan this was the first time I had seen him play live. Since then I have seen him at Bretforton again, New Galloway, Rosslyn and most recently at Ireby. I now have my own copy of "A Special Collection" (courtesy of eBay), Troubador, Vintage Giltrap and Total Giltrap, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon! I can now play several of his pieces (something that once I never thought I would be able to do) and am working on several others including Isabella's Wedding and Down the River (with it's really odd but very effective tuning). I consider myself privileged to have had the pleasure of meeting Gordon on several occasions and I am really glad that he supports so many of us who love to play his music for our own pleasure and the pleasure of others. Thanks Gordon - you have been a huge inspiration!

Richard McHale

Postby Richard McHale » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:05 am

I first heard Gordon play when I was in the second year of a design course, spending my grant (those were the days!) on as many concert tickets as I could afford. The venue was Leicester's De Montfort Hall, the year was 1978 and Gordon's band were supported by Shirley Roden.

Unsurprisingly it was a very good show, but I didn't hear Gordon in concert again until 2007 (Sheffield City Hall). In the intervening years, I have, if anything, slightly deteriorated with age. Gordon, however, is better than ever and I'd be happy to go and hear him play at any possible opportunity : )

Nick

Postby Nick » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi everyone ,
I was 16 when Visionary came out . At that time I was mostly into instrumental stuff like Kraftwerk , Tangerine Dream and Wakeman
( ironically ) but was blown away when I heard Visionary. I remember playing the LP to death. I was similarly delighted with Perilous Journey and Fear of the Dark.
I won tickets to see Gordon at a small club in the Devonport area of Plymouth ( can't remember the name now ) in 1977 - I think - on the local Radio station and got to speak to Gordon on the radio phone in.
If I remember correctly there was a West Country TV special programme of 3 tracks with video to celebrate the launch of Fear of the Dark - do I have that right Gordon it was such a long time ago ?!
I enjoyed Peacock Party but for me it was less substantial than the earlier LP's.
That's when I pretty much lost touch with what GG was up to .
I am now heavily into Jazz ( again ironically one of my favourite guitarists is Martin Taylor - love the work of Howard Alden too ) but my delight on finding Visionary , Journey and The Dark on CD on Amazon and reliving those musical memories was so sweet.
I now live in the North West and I am trying to locate a local(ish) gig that Gordon will perform. :D

Jon G

Postby Jon G » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:57 am

The Astor Record Bar, Guildford, 1969. Sampling "The Contemporary Guitar Sampler" (well, it was 19/6d so one had to be sure it was good). Started with Ralph McTell piece - nice, might be able to play that one day. The Bert Jansch "The Gardener" - Wow! Won't be likely to play that. Then Gordon Giltrap, "Fast Approaching." Totally blown away - a Eureka moment - that's what guitar is all about, and I never imagined it could be done.

Fast forward to December 1970. Back from first term at college, and mother had bought me two tickets to a guitar concert at the Guildford Civic Hall. John Martin, John Fahey (couldn't come) and Gordon. All my friends were still at college so I went with mother! Blown away again by hearing the real thing. Introduced himself as Bert Weedon.

My wife's story goes back even further, as she used to go with her friend Vicky to see Gordon at Les Cousins, presumably back in 1968 or so. The original GG groupies!
Nothing can possibly go wrong...

benwalker

Postby benwalker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:43 pm

About to make people rather old now, but I first saw Gordon at Evesham Art's Centre for a charity fundraiser (Tracy Sollis Trust), mid-1990's? I would have been early-teens at the time, but do remember a Rob Armstrong Hedgehog being played...??

Must have been a profound influence at the time, since I think I'm the other person that bought an Award Session GG-10 (they sold two, right??), and have wound up playing/recording fingerstyle folk, fortunately with someone else to do the singing!!

Return to “Gordon's Music”