Workshops

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Stevo

Workshops

Postby Stevo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:57 pm

I've just bought my tickets for Gordon Giltrap playing at the South Shields Customs House - International Guitar Festival. I've also got my ticket for the afternoon workshop, which I'm really looking forward to. (Also got concert/workshop tickets for Alex de Grassi).

Most guitarist seem to do the odd workshop or residential workshop, so I was just wondering what workshops people have attended and what they thought of them.

He's my list

Isaac Guillory x2
Eric Roche x3
Tony McManus
John Renbourn x2
Pierre Bensusan
Tommy Emmanuel
Martin Simpson
Clive Carrol

I have to say I've enjoyed every workshop I've ever attended. Its great just to see and hear those guys up close.

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 am

Wow....that's one hell of a list!

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm lucky that up here in the North East we have the guitar festival, where the artists usually do workshops before the gigs, and the Buddle in Wallsend, Newcastle, where again the artists sometimes do a workshop on the afternoon of the gig.

Isaac Guillory was my 1st workshop, and most of the theory went straight over my head (I was only 16 or 17 at the time, and had never heard of modes etc), but he showed me the riff to Swinging Little Guitar Man, so I went home happy. I also managed to work out most of Quasimodo, thanks to seeing him play it close up at the workshop.

Eric Roche also did excellent workshops (well he was a guitar teacher). And he played loads of covers that never made it to his main set, or CD/DVD.

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:09 pm

Russ Gannicott wrote:Wow....that's one hell of a list!

Ditto! :shock: :shock:

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:10 pm

I was at the Gordon Giltrap workshop yesterday so I thought I’d tell everyone about it.

I arrived early (keen as always) with guitar in hand, to find Gordon finishing off his sound check. I sat and watched/listened in ore for a few minutes until he had finished.

Gordon kicked things off with some warm-up/stretching exercises (I really should do more of these).
After that Gordon showed us the ‘Harping’ technique, talking us through it as he demonstrated. First it was all on the 12th fret to get us use to the technique, then Gordon showed us how he has used this technique in some of his compositions.
Next it was ‘pulling off’ using Country Bluff intro section to demonstrate. (I love this tune, but its all bum notes when I try to play it).
Chord progressions in Drop D came next, with A Dublin Day strumming section.
Chord shapes in DADGAD, and then it happened. . . . . Gordon asked me to play something.
I stumbled my way through A Christmas Carol. A few biff ups, but all in all, not too bad.
Questions were asked about Gordon's guitars, and he happily showed us them, playing a tune on each. The Baby Armstrong, Baritone Armstrong, Fylde and a new guitar which he was using for Dodos Dream. He showed us his effects, the use of delay etc, and then he treated us to a performance of Dodos Dream.
The time flew over, and before I knew it, it was time to put the guitar away and let Gordon get ready for the evening gig.
It was a honour to be in the company of such a genuinely friendly, kind, welcoming person (and its amazing to see those hands close up).

All I can say is if you get the chance to go to a Gordon Giltrap Workshop, go. It doesn’t matter what level your playing is at, you will always take something away from it.

And of course, the gig was excellent.

Steve

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Steve

I just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to have you at my workshop and to hear you tackle some of those old tunes of mine which you did pretty well I must say. Loved your Armstrong guitar by the way...You are indeed a man of taste Sir.

Be Well and see you next time eh.

G.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”