Steeple Aston Village Hall

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Steeple Aston Village Hall

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi there Troubador,

What a smashing village - not just the place but the people too. You certainly find some great locations for your concerts.

We were certainly blessed with two full versions of "the Dodo"- and part deux brought forth some interesting requests, not least "Splinter", the 'effect 'as you described it, asked for by Mr Stranks.

I spoke with a number of the audience during the evening ( a benefit of the seating being arranged around tables for supper in the interval } and all were enthused by your wonderful music. Comment was passed that, although you are respected and admired by your peers - many the best in the business - you seem to keep your feet firmly on the ground and remain a genuinely modest and thoroughly approachable chap. I believe that this may well be one of the secrets of your popularity and success.

It was so good to meet Mike Stranks and enjoy a getting to know you chinwag during the interval. I genuinely look forward to meeting both him and other Forum stalwarts at future events. Paul and his missus from Finland are clearly GG enthusiasts too, but when you told of their long journey to be at this gig, I got the impression that some thought it a wind-up. I trust that they both had a safe journey home.

i VERY much appreciated your comment when you autographed my "Brush and Stone" album sans surname. The honour is certainly mine, Sir, and I will continue to offer my support at least until the court injunction and restraining order arrive.

Trust you enjoyed your 'do' in London. Very best regards to both you and Hillary.

Keith (and Fiona)

Mark Geraghty

Re: Steeple Aston Village Hall

Postby Mark Geraghty » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:32 pm

keithmeredith wrote:Hi there Troubador,

What a smashing village - not just the place but the people too. You certainly find some great locations for your concerts.

We were certainly blessed with two full versions of "the Dodo"- and part deux brought forth some interesting requests, not least "Splinter", the 'effect 'as you described it, asked for by Mr Stranks.

Keith (and Fiona)

Echo Keith's sentiments here Gordon, another sensational evenings entertainment by the "legend" that is Gordon Giltrap. I believe this is my 6th concert and they just get better and better, honestly.

Downloaded Dodo's Dream from iTunes, great, but not patch on last night's performances. :lol:

Your half time chat with my friend Pete and I about his Yamaha was just an added bonus.

Your technical genius is irrefutable, the musical interpretation of your songs intuitive and the combination...............undeniable pleasure.

Thank you Gordon and please don't ever forget just how much joy you give to so many when you play - incontestably!

Mark Geraghty
Minchinhampton
Gloucestershire
Just enjoying and remembering great music like Gordon's!

Thank you Gordon for all that you have done for music and for those who enjoy the quality and precision of your playing!!!

Plenz

Postby Plenz » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Yes, me and Lin returned home very well. My mind is still filled with all the music and impressions which I received on this evening. Our trip was more than it's money worth and I have only one thing to regret: that my English skills were too poor to understand all of Gordon's jokes during the concert.

So I also understood hardly what he said when he spoke about "God Save The Queen". I was a little bit confused because I could not imagine that this humorous man would play such a serious anthem. Suddenly I got the idea "what about a Jimmy Hendrix version of God Save The Queen?" But immediately I thought: "impossible, that's not his style and he has an acoustic guitar in his hand"... double error! Probably the Queen wouldn't have been amused, but I was!
:lol:

Well... apart from all what I have in my mind and what are only repeatings of above entries, I have to thank
- Gordon for his warm welcome, his complete lack of airs and graces, his zero distance between him and the audience, and his attention to my videos
- Mike for his great organisation of the "backstage" kitchen meeting and our transport
- Hillary for whizzing around helping everybody with everything
- all others who would have helped us if Mike haven't been faster
- last not least Sue for this forum which brought us all together

All I could do was to enrich the Wikipedia article about Gordon Giltrap a little bit...

youtube.com/watch?v=2pWQS__dW18

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi Paul, Lin,

I'm delighted, ( but not the slightest bit surprised ) that you enjoyed yourselves the other night and that the event lived up to your expectations.

I'm glad you have now had first hand experience of seeing Gordon close-up, at his most intimate, in a traditional English village hall where he has a little more time to chat with the audience. Apart from booking Gordon for a private event, that has to be the best way to appreciate not only the music and the unique, fascinating way Gordon plays, but gives you a chance to see something of the man behind the guitar.

As you also discovered, Gordon has a very loyal, friendly fan base, all of whom are ready to welcome a newcomer, especially one such as yourself who has travelled so far to attend a show.

Have just got the detailed review of your weekend trip and the show, and am delighted to add it to the main website here:

http://www.giltrap.co.uk/index.php?page=bio&category=05--Fan_Reviews&display=2065

Hopefully you'll be able to repeat the experience again at some point in the future,
cheers
Sue
GG webmaster

Plenz

Postby Plenz » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:34 am

Hi Sue,

thanks for posting the link to Mike's nice review, otherwise I wouldn'd have seen it. Thanks also to Mike for praising my video. I hope Gordon will give me the permission to upload it in Youtube.

Just to explain a little bit more what I said about lightshows: in 1994 Pink Floyd made a concert tour through Europe. Everybody praised the concerts talking about the lightshow, the video screen, and how many days it took to pepare the stage. But nobody talked about the music! And I thought: where are those good old days gone, when just one plain man with a guitar and a microphone was enough to entertain an audience a whole evening as for example Donovan was able to do? But now 15 years later, I see that those days are not yet gone - thanks Gordon!

Regarding your last sentence - it's also up to Gordon where he wants to travel. If he travels to Gouveia, why not also to the big folk festival in Kaustinen (Finland) or to some of many folk festivals in Germany?

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:28 am

Hi Paul.

Many thanks for coming sir,it was a joy to meet you both.

VERY honoured that you travelled SO far to see GG!

Warmest of Regards.

G.

Plenz

Postby Plenz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:34 am

Thankyou very much, Gordon, but please... the topic is "Gordon's concerts" and not "Paul's travels".

BTW... would you agree that I publish my vulcano video on youtube?

Best wishes, Paul

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”