Swalcliffe

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Mike Stranks

Swalcliffe

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:26 am

They just keep getting better!

Once we'd found the village through the freezing fog and coping with a satnav that seemed to want us to see every bit of North Oxfordshire, a very warm welcome awaited us - both literally and metaphorically.

Mind you, it was a bit unnerving to sit near the front and nod politely to the person sitting next to you only to be asked, "Are you Mike?". That's what happens when you put your photo on here! :D Anyway, it was good to meet Simon (simjen) [sorry I couldn't talk more either before or after, but I was conscious of my guest for the evening. Particularly afterwards he was anxious to be on the road...]

A packed village hall was duly appreciative of Mr Giltrap's talents. Mr G was in fine form although struggling with the 'lurgi' that's doing the rounds. After a couple of pieces to get warmed-up - in both senses of the word I think - Gordon was really settled in and gave us a classic concert. All the favourites were there - some with some new "twiddles" - and I was running out of favourites to request, Gordon was playing all mine! (In the end I settled for "God save the Queen" as I suspected that this would be a crowd-pleaser - which of course it was.) I was especially pleased that Gordon played 'Anji' and with the very warm reception it received - Hilary's right G: keep playing it your way - we like it!

A really enjoyable concert, which was well-organised and hailed with appreciation by the audience. Gordon was in fine form both muiscally and verbally and it was a great evening. I choose my guests for Gordon's concerts with care - they're all accomplished musicians themselves - and, as usual, there's now another 22 year old who's enthusiastically had his horizons broadened.

Thanks so much Gordon - and get well soon!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Hello Mike.

It's always a pleasure to see you at my concerts, and I thank you for keeping the GG flame burning. The older I get the more I appreciate the effort that folk make to attend my shows. It is still a thing of wonder for me, and even after 40 odd years of doing it I still carry a large burden of insecurity about what I do, but I guess that's what keep us moving forward, always trying to improve on what we do.

I was indeed struggling with the lurgy, and was particulary aware that this was my first gig of 2009 and understandably I wanted to make it special in spite of feeling poorly.

I was touched by your comment about my version of Anjie and methinks I shall continue to play it, but you know I'm a sensitive old bugger and when folk put me down it can hurt at times, I guess it's that old insecurity coming out again.We all want to be loved don't we!

Be Well Mike and may my music continue to bring you pleasure, that is my sincere wish.

Happy New Year to you and yours.

G.

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm glad you are going to carry on playing Anjie, Gordon. Music is there to be played. The trouble is, there is just so much wonderful music out there to play!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Andrew.

You speak the truth sir. I have music on my past CDs that I have never performed live, maybe because I find much of it a bit tricky...'shouldn't have tried to be so tricky in the first place' I hear you cry(well tricky for me that is)!

Best Regards.

G.

P.S.Well done with the Dodo by the way.

simjen

Postby simjen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 am

Mike,

Sorry for the tardy reply but I have been away from my computer for a few days.

Coincidence indeed that we should end up sitting next to you and Ben. Gordon certainly has a new young fan! Anyway, it was good to meet you both and I am sure it will happen again soon.

Your review of the concert is spot on and I think the hall added a certain intimacy to the occasion certainly from where we were sitting. It was good to hear the Baritone guitar again particularly on one of my favourite pieces, Camber Sands. Maddie on the twelve string sounds great too.

Gordon, thanks again for a wonderful evening and I hope you are now recovered from the "lurgy" which has certainly done the rounds.

You win some, you lose some. The dressing room may not have been the most palacial of your career......but at least there was no raffle!

Regards to all,

Simon.
Simon Jenny, long term fan.

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:48 pm

GORDON wrote:P.S.Well done with the Dodo by the way.

Thank you, sir! I'm just re-uploading it because in a moment of stupidity I went to delete the old one and realised I deleted the new one. :oops: The ME50 has improved the quality of the sound and my playing of it is better with another 50 plays under my belt.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”