Worth a listen

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

simjen

Worth a listen

Postby simjen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:45 am

Hi all,

A guitar playing work colleague of mine recently introduced me to two artists I had not previously come across, Ulli Bogershausen and Jaques Stotzem. Of course you may already be familiar with these two but if not it is worth a look. Different styles but equally effective, I think. You will find them at

www.Bogershausen.com nd

www.stotzem.com

Sorry, but I don't seem to be able to get the actual links into the posting!
Be interesting to hear any comments. Do you know these guys, Gordon?

Incidentally, Alex and I are going to see a certain Mr. Martyn at the B'ham town hall on 12th. :) Will let you know how it was but it will certainly bring back some memories!

Keep well all.

Simon.
Simon Jenny, long term fan.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi there.

Yep, know Jaques well a nice man and fine player, thanks for letting us know. Hope you enjoy our John in concert.

Best.

G.

simjen

Postby simjen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi Gordon and All,

Thought you might know Jaques. I have to say I'm particularly partial to his version of U2s With or Wthout You. Not a piece I would have dreamt of trying to play on acoustic guitar (or piece of wood as our John calls it). Even "The Edge" isn't safe from us acoustic boys!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... tyn111.xml

The attached link is a review of Mr. Martyn's gig at the Barbican. a couple of days before B'ham. For once an accurate review and I don't have much to add. Suffice to say that our John has not lost any of his old magic. It's 30 years since I last saw him play and didn't quite know what to expect. I was certainly not dissapointed. Alex actually said during the concert that it sounded better than the original recordings and that was before we had read the review. Sound quality and balance was first class. What a superb backing band also. Unfair in some ways to pick out one member but I have never seen or heard such a brilliant display of fretless bass playing. Fits so well with Johns music too. If there are any other JM fans out there do try to get to see him during the rest of the tour.

We were so spoilt in the good old days with so many excellent artists such as Bert, John Renbourne, John James, Al Stewart, Pete Berryman, GG (of course) etc etc... I must be suffering from a severe bout of nostalgia. Who's up and coming to fill the void?

By the way, Gordon, the Fylde is still a joy to play, even badly. The best purchase I have made in many years. Thanks again.

Keep well all,

Simon.
Simon Jenny, long term fan.

Dave Warren

Am I worth a listen??

Postby Dave Warren » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi Gordon,

Firstly I'm really looking forward to seeing you in Bulkington in February, I've learnt alot from you in various guitar magz.

I've just recently recorded my first solo acoustic EP transfering everything I have learned on the electric guitar and also forgetting alot of it!!

The sound I have developed is quite personal to myself generated from my new Moondog GA. I am self tought never having a one to one lesson in my life, My techniques come from watching and listen to everyone from buskers to Steve Vai.

Take a listen http://www.myspace.com/djcwozza

Well thankyou for everything.... so am I worth a listen?
Thanks for reading and dont forget to check Myspace. www.myspace.com/djcwozza

Dave Warren.

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi
Just a quick note to say that,

Simon, if you like electric transfered to acoustic Edgar Cruz YouTube is well worth a visit.
Check out:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9jrBg4L ... re=related
for Bohemian Rhapsody.

It would be great to see some of the 'old school' doing more concerts in England, especially Al Stewart, as he lives in America now I think.....

And, Dave
Your tunes are lovely, and are indeed, well worth a listen.
I love to listen/play Satriani and Vai as well as Gordons music, of course, and I can hear their influences in your playing. With such a wide musical appreciation I can only see positive results for your playing :). The main thing I see in all of these great guitarists is the fluidity and preciseness of their fingering. Some very moving music.
Welcome to the Forum and keep it up :)
Be well
Bob

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Hello Dave!

I too enjoyed listening to your music, particularly "The African". Good luck.

All the best,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:04 am

Hi Dave.

I too have just had a listen,most enjoyable and I can hear all the influences and am very flattered to be one of them.Keep on that path guv your doing fine.

G.

Dave Warren

Postby Dave Warren » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks for the reply it is REALLY appreciated, may I ask for some advice Gordon?

I have started doing a lot more solo acoustic gigs and I am looking to create a better live sound I currently use a Moondog Grand Auditorium a wonderful sounding guitar it has a Schertler Bluestick fitted which sounds great but I am thinking of addin a soundhole pickup..... or would I be aswell to just add a mic?

Dave Warren.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Just go for a mike, but what I have read about these guitars and that pickup system it probably doesn't need anything. Keep it simple, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

You could always go down the pre-amp road, and I'm sure my pals on the FORUM will come up with some cracking alternatives and suggestions!

Be Well.

G.

Dave Warren

Guitars

Postby Dave Warren » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Where do I go to find out what guitars you have for sale G, I'm thinking of expanding the collection.

Dave Warren.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi Dave,

I have some seriously fine guitars for sale including a Martin M3M, a Rob Button custom,a Dick Knight 12 string,and a FYLDE classical. The shop that is selling these for me is GUITAR JUNCTION. Check them out, they are great guys and in my opinion the BEST guitar store for hand made acoustics in the UK.The website is a joy to behold.

Go to the NEWS page on THIS site and on the right hand side right at the bottom you will find the section about owning one of my guitars

Best Regards.

G.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:52 pm

GG webmaster

Return to “More Music”