Cassington - The review!

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

vigman

Cassington - The review!

Postby vigman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:57 pm

Well, I'm just back from Cassington with Gordon's music ringing in my ears.....well not 'ringing' as the volume was perfect.

I hadn't been in the new hall, but the acoustics from a listener's point of view were excellent.

It was an intimate affair with 100 people attending, and it really felt like a happy, social occasion. Gordon is a brilliant guitarist, but also a superb showman who makes everyone feel welcome and at ease.

The quality of the playing was exceptional throughout and suffice it to say that all the old favourites were there.

During the interval, Gordon kindly signed my 38 year old Yamaha FG140 six string (bought to replace the stolen Eko that Gordon originally signed many years ago). He also signed my Guitar Sampler LP cover. I'm very lucky in many ways, as my wife let slip to Gordon that I nearly died earlier this year in intensive care, and it was the first time I had been out in nearly a year.

The evening went too quickly, but it has made me determined to see more live music and also get over my fears and start playing publicly again 8)

I was fortunate to be involved in the folk rock scene of the late 60s early 70s and played support to a lot of great musicians whilst in a support band.

Gordon is undoubtedly the best acoustic guitarist I have ever heard, and must surely be the best in the world?

Thanks Gordon

Vigman (Jon)

PS Hope to catch Gordon and Ray in the Holywell Music Rooms in Oxford later this year. Also I'd like to save up for him to play at my 60th in five years time :lol:
Gordon signed my guitar at the Sloop Inn, IOW, 1969/70 whilst I was in the resident band "Witchazel"!.....and now at Cassington Village Hall October 2008.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:47 am

Hey John.

THANKYOU sir, it was a delight to meet you and that lovely wife of yours. I was indeed sad to hear from her that you been SO close to death's door, but mighty glad you made it through and we finally met up after all these years under such happy circumstances.

I look forward to seeing both again, and listen...that guitar of yours is fine, just get your local shop to get that action way down LOW, and away you go.

If only it were true that I was indeed one of the world's greats on this old box of mine BUT I keep practising in the hope that one day I will be the player I always hoped I would be. We are all standing on the shoulders of giants when it comes to truly great players. John Williams, Julian Bream, Django......the list goes on.

You Be Well Sir, and my very best to you both, as someone on this FORUM recently wrote..'may the candle of life burn slowly for you'. Isn't that lovely!

Be Well.

G.
Last edited by GORDON on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vigman

Postby vigman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:02 pm

Forgot to say.......the Cassington gig was THE perfect set list. If you put those tunes on a double CD in the same order (especially with *that* version of Dodo), I'm sure it would be a best seller to the great unwashed!!

Vigman (Jon)
Gordon signed my guitar at the Sloop Inn, IOW, 1969/70 whilst I was in the resident band "Witchazel"!.....and now at Cassington Village Hall October 2008.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:52 pm

Just to let you know I've made a new page here:

http://www.giltrap.co.uk/index.php?page=bio&category=05--Fan_Reviews&display=1940

with Jon's review plus a comment from Andy Evans and a couple of Jon's photos from the night.

If anyone else would like to add their comment to the review page, let me know

thanks
Sue

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”