Strings

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

TimH

Strings

Postby TimH » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 pm

Ok...not sure if this has been discussed here before (and humble apologies if it has) but what are people's views on the new coated type of guitar strings? Seems to me they would surely have a slightly duller tone than an uncoated set and would quickly become 'furred' (thus removing any advantage it might have over uncoated in terms of keeping the string from tarnishing etc). I think Gordon uses these now which is obviously a big vote of confidence but is it a question of sacrificing a little bit of tone for the practicalities of a touring musician? I'd be very interested to hear of people's experience on this (especially Gordon's of course!)...

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi Tim.

Long time sir, hope you and the family are well.

For the record I have NEVER used coated strings, don't like the sound of em personally. These days I use Martin SP strings, and before that Newtone BOTH equally fine strings!

Be Well all.

G.

TimH

Postby TimH » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi Gordon,
Thanks for the reply - it has indeed been long and long. Thanks for the correction - have just done a bit more homework and realised I was confused and was thinking you were using the SP+ which appear to be the coated version of the SPs. Your view of coated strings ties in with what I was thinking but I will definitely be trying some SP strings on your old lovelies at next string change.

All well here although life with a 20 month old is unbelievably hectic - I suspect you will have your own experiences of this!

I try to look at these discussion pages most days and it's a great way to keep up with you and the crowd of regulars that seems to have built up.

Best wishes to you and H from both of us.
T&N.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”