When / where did you first see Gordon play?

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:08 pm

Some where in the 80s, sure it was maybe outside London somewhere.
but most recently in Barmouth on a wet and wonderful day.
As Gordon will remember, centre stage. Great gig and i have been many over many years.
Heartsong was what did it for me. Went and bought the dbl lp platinum i'm sure. Just a quick query, was the drummer Simon Phillips?
Also reflections and despair, just love the way it biulds up to that wonderful coda.

Cheers and regards
Richard
let the music lift to new heights always

Russ Ince

The first time !

Postby Russ Ince » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:58 pm

First saw Gordon on the OGWT sometime in the 70's. Went out the next day & bought Visionary. A few years later a mate was 'round and flicking through my record collection and whooped with delight when he came across Gordon's album. " I'm going to see the man next week..you coming?" And so it was my first live experience was at Loughborough Students' Union..late 70's.
Russ Ince

BB

Postby BB » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:57 pm

Cropredy solo... mid-eighties. And then in Oxford, with Ric Sanders. Was that really 1988? Oh crikey. I still remember both well, and I'd certainly cite these as being major inspirations for taking up the guitar some time later. Never did take the virtuoso route, but I can appreciate the amount of dedication and practise involved to get to this level. And Gordon's playing is, for me, much more than just it's dazzling technique; it's the warmth, humour, power and sheer entertainment-value that really grabs me.

Twenty years on, and I'm still no closer to sussing that pick and little-finger right-hand style.
Around the bend, my huckleberry friend.

vigman

When I first saw Gordon

Postby vigman » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:09 am

The sig says most of it! I was in a resident folk band Witchazel at the Sloop Inn on the Isle of Wight from the late 60's to 1970. It was a fabulous venue with doors that opened wide onto Wootton Creek on hot summer nights.

I doubled up as the booking agent and every three or four weeks we could actually pay someone to perform! I'd heard Gordon on vinyl first on "The Guitar Sampler 1" and we finally got him....actually thinking about it it can't have been 1971 as a big brewery bought the place that year and immediately banned blue jeans....the folk club died that week :(

We'd done our stint and sat down to watch Gordon set up, so we were all chatting....then this incredible sound came out and everyone shut up immediately.....the best playing I'd ever heard....and he was only warming up! :D :D

After the gig I asked him to sign my guitar (a 60's ECO jumbo), which apparently was the first time!

I've never forgotten that night and even though we booked loads of stars (Paul Simon, Stephan Grossman, Humblebums)and I went on to a bit of BBC guitar workwork (Folk on 2) have never heard anyone as good as him...and not likely to.

Keep on playing, Gordon

Regards
Jon

PS The signed guitar was stolen weeks later when I was playing in Tewkesbury :evil:
Gordon signed my guitar at the Sloop Inn, IOW, 1969/70 whilst I was in the resident band "Witchazel"!.....and now at Cassington Village Hall October 2008.

Terry Humphries

Postby Terry Humphries » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:57 pm

I remember seeing an ad in the NME for Visionary when I was 16 and thought I had to have that album. My sister bought it for me and I was absolutely in love with it. I was trying to play the guitar and couldn't believe how good he was. I treasured that album for many years until one day, a girl managed to persuade me to lend it to her. Unfortunately, I never saw her again, or my album! :evil: I was gutted and couldn't find another copy anywhere.

Things were moving on in my life by then; went into the army for a short-service commission, joined the world of finance and got sent out to Asia, went to Japan and met and married my wife and forgot about it for the next 30 years. The internet came into being and amazon.co.uk along with it. One day, I decided to check and see if they had Visionary in stock and almost fell off my seat when they did!
Ordered 2 CDs immediately, along with his other albums and I'm happy as can be again. I have my beloved Visionary back and I still get the same thrills today as I did when I was a gangly teenager!

For me, Gordon is the best guitarist in the world.

amgard

Postby amgard » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:20 am

I first heard GG on John Peel's Sunday afternoon radio programme, 'Top Gear'. Fortunately a friend of mine had recorded it on his reel-to-reel, and we spent hours listening and re-listening to Lucifer's Cage, so I guess this must be 1969-ish.
I went in search of the album but could 'only' find the eponymous 1st album, bought it anyway, and was bowled over by the music and the playing.

I first saw GG live at the Washington (Biddick) Arts Centre in the NorthEast, where his playing was truly awe-inspiring. This must have been very late 60's or early 70's - I really can't remember, but I can remember Gordon coming to meet everyone at the interval and chatting 'Guitar-talk' to anyone who was interested - which was everyone! I'd persuaded a (very good) guitarist friend of mine, who hadn't seen or heard GG to come along. I'd never seen him speechless before - or since!

The next time I saw Gordon was in 1979(?) at the 'Room at the Top' in Newcastle, where he was accompanied by Bimbo Acock on sax and Matt Clifford on keys, (sorry I can't remember the name of the drummer). This was another truly memorable night, where I bought the LP of Peacock Party in the interval, and got GG, BA , and MC to sign it. (I think the drummer was in the bar - so I didn't get his ;)

On the 'matter of time' tour, (in Alnwick - I think), with Martin Taylor I got Gordon, (who was with Hilary that night), to sign my LP of the first album that I'd taken along specially, though he seemed bemused as to where I'd got it from, I didn't really explain myself fully that I'd had it since new!

The most recent occasion was in Nov-2005, when I happened to be reading the 'what's-on' page in our local paper and saw GG was appearing that night at the local school hall, (Abingdon) with someone called Raymond Burley ;) - never heard of him, but I'd seen GG with Martin Taylor and Ric Sanders, so I knew he must be good! The ever-loving Chris came with me and we were somewhat surprised to be greeted at the door by HRH the Duchess of Kent and Jeremy Irons, (GG always could pick good 'staff' ;) - and even more delighted at the music. I'm now a confirmed Raymond Burley fan too! Chris ended up with Jeremy Irons sitting next to her, so I don't think she minded venturing into the cold night too much!!

So many memorable concerts, and so much fantastic music.. keep it coming!

(some of the dates and facts are subject to review when I can focus this old brain of mine ;)

magyar

Postby magyar » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:08 pm

Hi everyone and Gordon.

I first saw Gordon in Fernham Hall, Fareham in about 1994 I think it was. I was sharing a flat with a fellow guitarist who had all the records and got me into it. I'd probably been playing guitar for about two or three years and was astonished at the quality and accuracy of Gordon's playing - and wondered how I could ever get close to playing that well.

Now, fourteen years on, and after much practicing, cursing and perseverence, I can finally play Lucifer's Cage. Well, just the loud bit, anyway.

I still have the CD of "On a Summer's Night" which Gordon kindly signed that evening.

Look forward to seeing you soon, Gordon, hopefully at the Fleece concert in Evesham in April.

Dominic

steve

Postby steve » Fri May 02, 2008 3:09 pm

I first saw Gordon with Ric Sanders at Redditch Town Hall in 1988 (?) and then we followed them to the Red Lion in Birmingham, Cheltenham Town Hall etc. I can't believe that's 20 years ago.....I must be getting old if I can claim that it feels like yesterday!

I first heard the music when my older brother brought home the Perilous Journey album back in '78. I instantly liked it and still do today. As a kid, we moved around quite a bit with my parents and even though (as a teenager) I was always meeting new kids in different areas who had completely different musical tastes I listened to many other records but I always kept my Giltrap albums! Gordon who? I would be asked at school. It was funny actually because everybody was always talking about Page, Clapton, Brian May etc and I would always pipe up that Gordon was a far better guitarist with more interesting music. Yes, I was arguing the case for Gordon in the school playground.

In the early 80's I remember walking a few miles in the snow to pick up an LP of Visionary which had to be specially ordered (remember those days before the digital revolution?) and I didn't want to wait any longer to hear it. I think it was well worth the effort.

I wonder how many of you have seen the 12" picture disc of Fear Of The Dark? Well, I have a copy which I found during my polytechnic days at a record fair in Worcester. I bought the early albums and then the Peacock Party the day it came out (on PVK Records - what happened to them?). I must confess to being a bit disappointed with the Airwaves album though. I wonder if Gordon has any particular feelings about this specific record? I don't know what it was about the production but if felt very "flat" compared to the 4 predecessors and I'm not sure that some of the band compositions were up to the usual standard? Sorry for the critique!

I've seen GG many times since including at least 3 shows on the "Troubadour" tour (great album too) and probably 3 times now at Huntingdon Hall, Worcester (nice venue). The most recent show we attended was at the Fleece Inn, Bretforton.

mantonl

Postby mantonl » Sat May 03, 2008 10:40 pm

The first time I saw Gordon was on a DVD my friend showed me. Then live for the first time a few weeks ago in Morecambe and next will be at Chadkirk in Stockport in July

GORDON
Site Admin

Airwaves album

Postby GORDON » Sun May 04, 2008 9:27 am

Hi Steve.

You are SO right sir Airwaves was just an OK album recorded towards the end of my period with Triumvirate. We had really run out of ideas at that time, and the chemistry was now all wrong, which was a shame because of the exciting things we had been doing since 75 through to 81 with those now classic albums.

Fortunately, and I say this both fingers crossed I haven't as yet run out of ideas, and feel there is ALWAYS so much more to do.

Thankyou for keeping the faith all these years.

Be Well.

G.

steve

Postby steve » Sun May 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi Gordon

That's interesting regarding Airwaves - it just shows that you can't "fake" anything. The mood is either right or it's not and if not, it shows! LOL! :D

On the subject of "band" albums and looking back to that Triumvirate run of four, have you ever been tempted to try something similar again with different musicians, perhaps? I think you said that the original personnel involved all went off in different directions and are all now involved in other pursuits (in different countries too?) but are there any plans to recreate something similar in the future?

That also raises a question I've always wanted to know the answer to: how did the whole Triumvirate production come about in the first place? Was Visionary originally an "experiment" that following its success, drove the desire and inspiration for the follow-up albums?

Sorry, for dragging you back 30 odd years!

Steve

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed May 07, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi Steve.

Triumvirate were an independant production company for a number of years before I met them, and Visionary wasn't an experiment. The way it worked was that we recorded a few tracks and then was offered a deal on the strength of those tracks and of course a budget to continue. In those days, record companies stuck by artists over at least three albums and sort of helped to build an act that way, and I guess it was true of my time with Electric records and Triumvirate.

With regard to working along similar lines in the future...who knows? One must never say never. I try to keep an open mind on all things if possible. Be Well guv..
G.

steve

Postby steve » Thu May 08, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi Gordon,

Do I sense there is a touch of "that was then and this is now" with regard to record companies today and their attitudes? The age old cliche about how things were better years ago! I wonder though, how have things changed in your experience in the record business over say, 30 years? Or maybe nothing is really different?

Forgive my ignorance in these matters, but is it not far easier (and cheaper) to produce your own albums today with the CD (digital) medium as opposed to the "old days" with minimum quotas for vinyl pressings etc?

Call me old fashioned if you like, but I'm still a bit of a vinyl junkie and dare I say, SHELLAC junkie too! I have all sorts of stuff from all eras in my collection but I stop at the MP3 and all this "modern" equipment (probably because I don't "get" the whole downloading music idea!) and to me getting an album is about getting out there and buying something you can actually see.

I notice that "record shops" are an extinct sight on our high streets these days. Apart from Woolworths, who else sells CD's? If you regularly check out chain stores like HMV and the like, you'd be forgiven for thinking that even CD's were quaint old-fashioned items or are music DVD's the future of the album?

On the subject of recording new material, have you any favourite studios you prefer to use and do you (trial) record material at home first?

Regards

Steve

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon May 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi Steve,

Yep, to a degree I do think that those good old days were better,but you know in all honesty as an artist I have far more creative freedom than I EVER had in those far off heady days of the late 70s.

I believe that the music I have produced over the past 20 odd years(and this is just MY personal opinion you understand) ranks alongside my 70s material albeit in a different way.Part of this I'm sure is to do with being more settled as a person,and also something you said about the recording process being cheaper and easier and certainly more accessible to virtually anyone in this day and age.

I have the luxury of a modest recording setup here at home,and when I complete the recording I then take it to my dear friend Paul White to edit and polish in his state of the art studio in Malvern. So for me it's the perfect combination of freedom in terms of time and cost, and the sheer pleasure of spending time in the home town of one of my favourite composers Edward Elgar, to mix and master my music. For me it doesn't get any better than that.

Even though I do have the luxury of recording here at home, I still regard the time I set aside to record as a special event and even mark it on my calender as if I were travelling to a seperate studio. For me recording is a special time,because after all one is recording one's history to share with the world and it must stand up to scrutiny and has to be as close to perfection as I can make it.

Recording can be fun but also a harrowing experience for the faint hearted.

Be Well Sir.

G.

Grez

Postby Grez » Sun May 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Go on then

My first memories of hearing Gordon was at the tender age of nine (summer 1976). We'd just moved house and I was going to a school and being taught guitar basics by a man called Elliott Ray. He was also in charge of music at the school and used to pick tunes to play for assembly - a particular favourite of mine was a compilation album called "The Contemporary Guitar Sampler" featuring Fast Approaching and Ives Horizon by Gordon - both of which became firm favourites.

I then remember seeing him on TOTP doing Heartsong (also quickly to become a favourite), but the first time I saw him live is an experience I'll never forget.

My girlfriend at the time (Lesley) and I went to see Simon Nicol and Ric Sanders playing at "The Junction" folk club in Harborne, Birmingham, probably February 1988 ish. As we were waiting for the gig to start, this bloke walked in the door with a guitar case, and I said to Lesley "Hey, that bloke's a ringer for Gordon Giltrap." She told me to shut up about my flights of fancy and so I left it alone.

Anyway, the support act came and went, and the MC announced that Gordon was going to come up and do some tunes. Cue me saying "Told ya! :-P

He played three tunes (Heartsong and Lucifer's Cage were two) and then joined Simon and Ric to play "Portmeirion." Gordon leaves the stage to the sound of Simon Nicol saying "It's anti-climax time!" (But they were still very good).

However, that night we got tickets for Gordon's appearance there in March and the rest, as they say......

(The March gig, we left with the sounds of Luicifer's Cage ringing in our ears and it certainly haunted me for days afterwards. Stunning!)

Return to “Gordon's Music”