The Making of "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Mike Stranks

The Making of "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:07 am

... if you missed the film (BBC1; Tues 8th; 2235) about Simon and Garfunkel and how they created the marvellous album "Bridge over Troubled Water" it'll be well worth catching on iPlayer.

Particular fascinating for me as a sound guy was how they got the 'sounds', but I'm sure any muso will enjoy the sheer musicianship and technical innvation that went into producing the various songs. Great insights from Art Garfunkel and Paul Simon too.

(Notice how back in those days they had to run two completely separate sets of mics if they wanted to record a concert - one set for live sound and another for the recording! Very tasty Neumann mics for the recording! :) )

Enjoy!
The older I get, the better I used to be

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: The Making of "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

Postby GORDON » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Sounds really interesting Mike. I LOVE documentary's like this.

Be Well

G.

Colin Welfare

Postby Colin Welfare » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Was it 1965 I was lucky to see Paul Simon in my Local Folk Club, the Railway Tavern, Catford!? Time flys!

Another young lad that went a on to greater things. BOTW was only one of many albums that were inspired. In my humble opinion.
Colin & Jill

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Hey Mike and hello Colin.

Watched it last night....Fantastic...Good to see a pic of my dear friend Del Newman on there. I well remember you being into Paul Simon Colin. I had never heard of him until I heard you speak of him and sing some of his songs at the Albert Folk Club in Greenwich where we first met OH SO MANY YEARS AGO!

Be Well all.

G.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:47 am

.. and the Docu on George Harrison on BBC2 on Sat and Sun nights was pretty good too...

Moment of the weekend? Eddie Jordan intervieweing Paul McCartney on BBC Formula 1 coverage and calling him 'George'! :lol:

(In fairness to Mr J, G Harrison esq was quite a petrolhead and seems to have known EJ personally.)
The older I get, the better I used to be

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:41 am

Talking about Bridge Over Troubled Water, I heard it was re-released most recently.
Tom McCauley

Return to “More Music”