Jeff Beck

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

Jeff Beck

Postby Russ Gannicott » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Have any of you good people been to see Jeff Beck on the current tour? Ash and I went on the opening night of the UK leg and were blown away....not only by JB, but also by the support act, Trombone Shorty.

Beck's band were sensational especially Rhonda Smith on bass although to honest, Narada Michael Walden was pretty damn special as well.
It was fantastic to see Beck's astonishing techniques up close and to witness a performance by a man who is definately 'at the top of his game'.

Highly recommended....catch him if you can.

Cheers,
Russ

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:33 pm

For me Jeff Beck is the greatest electric guitar player alive. The Finale Peace still raises the hair on the back of my neck.

Good to know that age has not diminished his extraordinary powers. Gives us oldies hope methinks.... :)

Be Well all.

G.

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:50 am

Funny you should say that Gordon because there are several ways in common that you two approach your music. Unlike many players, you both let the music do the talking and rely less on physical prowess in your playing, rather concentrating on technique to convey the lyrical qualities of your tunes.
Now...please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against machismo guitar playing...it certainly has it's place and indeed it's great exponents. In fact, if I was to put my dream team of guitarists together the credits would probably read as follows;
Writer, acoustic guitarist and arranger - Gordon Giltrap.
Leas Guitar - Jeff Beck
Producer and rhythm guitar - Pete Townsend

We could probably chuck a couple of others in the mix...just to make up the numbers of course;
Middle eight jazz solo - Mark Warner
Keyboards - Rupert Hines
Bass - Norman Ray Watts
Drums - Bill Bruford.

So there you go...anyone fancy finacing a tour next year? ......... :)

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 am

Russ you are too kind sir.

Love that lineup by the way.

Pretty much agree with it all apart from MY name included of course but hey, it is VERY flattering and we ALL love flattery!

Love to you and the family.

G.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:21 am

... but who'd be driving the sound-desk??!! :lol: :lol:
The older I get, the better I used to be

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Well the recording would clearly be helmed by Sir George, ably engineered by Paul White. Extended remixes by Trevor Horn and mastering by Bob Clearmountain.

Live sound? Hmmmm... if only we knew someone who knew his way around a desk. Any volunteers? :wink:

Return to “More Music”