Desperate plea for help identifying a track...

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Rob E

Desperate plea for help identifying a track...

Postby Rob E » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:49 pm

Hello everyone.
I'm new on the forum, but long long time fan of Gordon and his work. In fact "Fear of the Dark" is my fav instrumental of all time!
Anyway, I need help !
Here is the story...
Back in 1978 or 79, I was a 14-year-old loving the music of the day. No internet etc, so it was either Dial-a-Disc or record it off the Telly/Radio. I had a Grundig Tape recorder and a handheld mic.
On some show or other of the time (on TV), a guest artist came on. I instantly loved the track - leapt for the mic and started recording...
I still have the cassette 40+ years later with the handwritten note that the track is by the Gorden Giltrap Band...
Except... it isn't! Back in 1999/2000 I asked, and Gordon emailed me to say nope - it isn't me! - I still have not found this track or who it is by.
Maybe someone here knows or can give me suggestions on who it might be. My theory is if you like Gordon, you may know this group. It does sound like the Gordon Giltrap Band (similar in style to Inner Dream) - except it has a lead singer, obviously, that's a rarity for the group.
I've put it on youtube with info on what I've tried over the years to identify it. So if you have a spare 2 mins & 13 secs
please head on over and see if you can come up with any ideas.
This has been an ongoing 40 year search - almost a hobby !
Any help or ideas much appreciated.
Here's the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=637bkcpXnmQ

Cheers & here's hoping
Rob

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Desperate plea for help identifying a track...

Postby GORDON » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:45 pm

Hi Rob.

On listening to this track I can definitely confirm that it is Shirley Roden on vocals and me on electric guitar.I think it may have been John Gustafson on Bass and probably Ian Mosley on drums.Recorded at Redan recorders.Probably Jon Miller producing.I shall contact Shirley and see if she remembers much about the session.I have no memory of the session but listening to it is me on electric guitar.

Rob E

Re: Desperate plea for help identifying a track...

Postby Rob E » Mon May 02, 2022 4:56 pm

Gordon,

OMG !!!

THANK YOU !!! THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!

Ok,.... More questions (if you don't mind).

Was the track recorded under "The Gordon Giltrap Band" name ?
What TV show would you have performed this on ?
My memory says you were all in a line - quite a few of you - with the lead singer (Shirley) on the right-hand side wearing a long white dress - and the rest of you may have been wearing white shirts. I've not mentioned this anywhere before as you know what tricks memory can play !
It is such a great track - and I would dearly love to find a vinyl, or any kind of recording of it.
If you can work out the show or the session maybe we can go from there ! - It deserves to be in your discography - and even better if there were more tracks recorded in that session.
So my 14 year old self was right after all ! I am no music expert but I always felt the guitar sounded like your style !
I have previously looked on Shirley's website - but there was nothing listed on it that made me think it could have been her.
Any info you discover would be gratefully received.
Thanks again
Rob

Return to “More Music”