!!

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

sultan4swing

!!

Postby sultan4swing » Mon May 25, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi all.... Just wanted to bring a little balance and sanity to all the negative corvid stuff being thrown at us ….. The lockdown has impacted on us all, some policies necessary and I would argue some highly debateable !!!???!!! Some 2 months of all this has forced on all of us a 'paralysis of fear'.... fear of knowing how to get back to normal, an irrational fear of doing anything that might theoretically bring us in contact with the virus. Before all this we all lived our daily lives with a proportional and balanced attitude to risk... knowing that there is a risk to doing anything … Now mid covid, suddenly we have become so risk averse that we are irrationally frightened to do anything... you can see that in Government response to getting the economy, travel, the arts, public gatherings, social and retail businesses open …. Before you ask, no I am not a low-risk category irresponsible youngster who doesn't care, I am 71 and in the so-called 'at risk category'...(******)… .. I'm also an ex 40 year plus career Govt research analyst who can see the wider implications more than most of what is happening to our country.... Life is not worth living if the basic everyday little things that make life worth while are taken away... that is not living, its just existing.... Luckily until our government allows us our lives back, music is the one everlasting antidote to the inevitable mental and physical aftermath to this terrible time. Music is thank God always there to counteract a whole mass of negative stuff that impacts on our lives.... the mental and psychological benefits are immeasurable... Everyone, keep playing and listening, stay well and stay positive.... and as Col/Capt Tom commented... we will come out of this... !!!!

BRC

Re: !!

Postby BRC » Sat May 30, 2020 9:39 am

A late entry response, but I don’t think there is much reading between the lines to understand your message. I think we are on the same page here (I am struggling for more cliches now so if anyone else wants to take up the baton, feel free).

Music is a potential universal remedy, though not everyone’s tastes are the same, so now is a good opportunity to explore more of other than your favourites. That includes ‘ABBA’, though may have to ignore links to certain rule breakers to get through.

My roots have been in folk music, but have re-listened to some of my classical collection that has been sat idly for a while.Due to other priorities I have not been able to listen to Gordon’s live session, though caught up later - great to listen to stripped back one-to-one numbers - okay one-to-many, but in our isolation we can take it as a personal concert.

We are about the same age, although I feel in present situation I am ageing quicker than before, and outlook seems similar. I couldn’t help but chuckle when I re-read the first sentence of your post using the word ‘corvid’. I wondered whether you were just going to be raven on but then pondered as I thought about having to clean up the patio from pigeon muck and then it made sense ... sort of ...!

Keep smiling.

Kind regards to all
Brad

sultan4swing

Re: !!

Postby sultan4swing » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Brad... Hi...... re my recent rantings... !!!! Sorry.... never was very subtle, particularly on subjects that get to me emotionally.... You spotted what was actually a Freudian slip..... didn't intend to refer to the virus as Corvid (the crow family) - but actually it is actually very relevant to me - I have spent much time thru my life bird watching and photographing while travelling... Actually I have referred to said virus unintentionally (??) as Corbyn-19 - but that's another story.... any analogy you wish to make is down to you.... !!!!!

If the lockdown gets us all exploring different musical genre then we would normally listen to, then that cant be bad.... Like you, folk music was a major influence early in my 50 years of guitar playing , singing and gigging... Abba.. ??? Nothing wrong with that - superb pop group whose music tapped into people's emotions and life experience - certain of their songs were very uncomfortable and all too close to my life experience a while ago..... I always say - there are two types of music, good or bad, anything else is personal taste.... Great news about you getting back into classical music.... maybe like I did 30 years ago... a gentle excursion into opera ? A Pavarotti compilation of arias did it for me... played all the way to Italy where I sat in a campsite bar with Germans and South Africans in the summer of 1990 watching England lose to Germany on penalties... music and memories are inseparable.. !!!

Stay well, stay positive, keep listening... !!!! Sultan... .

Return to “More Music”