Paul Simon's last tour

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

sultan4swing

Paul Simon's last tour

Postby sultan4swing » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Sad to see this is the last tour of this iconic singer/songwriter.... who to many of us 'oldies' , was the epitomy of the 60's folk movement, when songs actually said something ... !!!!! Even sadder, and for me a cruel twist of timing, is that under any other circumstances, I would have got to this O2 concert..... But unfortunately I had already made other arrangements long before the tour was declared... If anyone out there is lucky enough to be going, could you blog some personal views of the concert - it would be most appreciated. I luckily have the CD/DVD of the 15 July 2015 concert and hope something similar is issued for this one.... And again a cruel twist of fate, having watched every World Cup match, will probably miss the final... ah well, you can do anything,but not everything... !!! Happy summer music to everyone.. !!!

panthersfan

Re: Paul Simon's last tour

Postby panthersfan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:16 pm

I went to Manchester. Paul wasn't really on my radar when I was growing up, of course I loved Graceland & Rhythm of the Saints but after those two releases he went another way so I didn't really listen to him. Then I was lucky enough to see him in Nottingham around 5 years ago, just after the release of So Beautiful, and was amazed at how good he sounded. I saw him in Nott'm again last year, and couldn't wait for the show in Manchester this year. It didn't disappoint, his voice is still strong, although he does change the tone of a few songs to avoid higher notes. The band were superb and it was a fun show to watch, band members constantly changing instruments to show their versatility. The newer songs were just as well received, although the older material seemed to be what the (mainly older) audience wanted to hear. It's so sad to think he won't do another major tour, but hell, he's successful (and old) enough to have earned the rest. Hopefully, like his announcement said, he'll come back and do acoustic venues (Royal Albert Hall ?, Symphony Hall Birmingham ??). It's amazing to think that a 75 year old singer could warrant such a glowing review from some-one who's been attending concerts for over 40 years, and seen upwards of 250 shows by various people.

sultan4swing

Re: Paul Simon's last tour

Postby sultan4swing » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi. Much appreciate you coming back on comments for Paul Simon's last tour.... A lucky man to have seen so many popular music gigs in your lifetime... Like you and most of our age group - most want to hear the old stuff.. I still play and sing much of that ears music myself.... and was always more disposed to accoustic rather than electric guitar.... His 60's-70's material was always among my favourites, but above all, it is still Graceland for me and suprisingly his 'So Beautiful, so what' album went off in a different direction - not necessarily as popular to core fans as it was heavily on a 'spiritual/religious' theme... but I relate very much to this theme and production wise is a superb album.... While many years have been spent gigging with more popular music, my musical interests have broadened considerably so many of my concerts have been classical, ballet, opera, musicals plus niche cult type artists on the world music stage... So I await a DVD/CD of his 2018 concerts with interest.... My 40 year plus concert experience started with groups like Lindesfarne, Sailor (who I still love) and Stackridge, the latter one of the most niche inventive bands ever - founder members went on to perform as The Korgis.... (Everybody's gotta learn sometime..)

Return to “More Music”