Musical tastes are personal and varied

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

sultan4swing

Musical tastes are personal and varied

Postby sultan4swing » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 pm

As the French say ... one man's meat is another man's poisson... ((sorry - a lifelong Ken Dodd humour man.... !!!))

My wife and I have eclectic tastes ..... I've recently introduced her to Gordon's music, which she loves.. and we are fortunate to be going to his Chepstow concert in late April while I'm making my annual pilgrimage to Cheltenham from East Anglia, to visit friends, ex colleagues and family. While there the local small theatre is putting on ETO Gianni Schichi plus another one act opera... Norwich has its Festival in May and have booked concerts for Kathryn Tickell and Band, and some artists totally new to me and diverse - Devall Mahal - blues roots, Maya Youssef Trio - quanun Middle Eastern zither, and The Bollywood Brass Band (nuff said... ) But, for me the highlight of the musical year (along with Gordon) is a concert in Cambridge with the totally sensational violinist Nigel kennedy.... doing Gershwin and Bach... Spent a concert interval in a bar with him some 20 years ago discussing - accoustic guitar greats.... Jansch etc etc .. a magic evening.... A touring opera company is performing Madam Butterfly in Norfolk, and Miss Saigon is on tour for about a month in Norfolk... so lots of varying interest for culture vultures.... Any memorable events for anyone else ???

PaulJ

Re: Musical tastes are personal and varied

Postby PaulJ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:08 am

Absolutely, it's personal - imagine if we all liked only the same things!! :shock:

My own musical tastes started to develop in the late 60s (I was born 1961). Until then, I'd listened to my mum's and my dad's music which was a heady mix of Mario Lanza, Frank Sinatra and Elvis. All good but didn't float my boat as a 9 year old.

The first 45 I bought with saved pocket-money was Witch's Promise by Jethro Tull which sort of set the tone for my formative years - as I became a life-long fan of Heavy Rock, Prog, Blues, etc. I've never been a fan of mainstream "pop" as it always seemed to rely on (with a few exceptions) paid-for airplay, novelty and image. For right or wrong, I've never been a follower of fashions.

When I was at school - and for years after in my native Stockport, I was a regular at the Free Trade Hall listening to the Halle Orchestra. I like classics - but ones to which I can hum the tune.

I had a friend who could get unhindered access to tickets to see all the bands playing at the Ardwick Apollo and I travelled to many "festivals" at Leeds, Reading, Donnington, etc to see the bands I loved - though bad weather, poor sound systems and some poor performances reduced the novelty value over time.

One of the unexpected benefits of driving Route 66 a few years ago was listening to the ever-changing soundtrack along the 2,800 miles. It introduced me to some new artists and reinforced why I'm not keen on others.

I was at Gordon's gig in Chelmsford (a few miles from where I live, currently). Great gig and I'm intending travelling to others as time and funds permit. We also went to see a really good singer / songwriter called Tristan Mackay at St Pancras Old Church in London.

We have a few more gigs lined up this year:
- Steven Wilson at the Royal Albert hall
- Bernard Allison / Blues Caravan at The Borderline
- Sonny Landreth at The 229
- Jeff Lynne's ELO at the O2

I'd love to get to more and we will - there's just so much good stuff these days.

sultan4swing

Postby sultan4swing » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:31 pm

PaulJ.... some great music tastes and great concert opportunities.... Can't easily get to any big venue gigs from where we are.. and even when young, didnt have interest or means unfortunately to see the 60/70;s groups live...accept Lindesfarne (always as per gigging.. an accoustic man) and one of my favourite bands - very niche... Sailor.... sing some of their stuff even now...

With alkl the travelling we do.. we can do anything but not everything... Sods law that on the day we go to Alaska... Paul Simon starts his farewell tour .. now I WOULD have got to that... come hell or high water...Ah well ... win some lose some.... Happy concertgoing...

Nickswitz

Postby Nickswitz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:10 am

I think everyone has a certain style or type of music
that we will always listen to or go back to, for me
it is decent hard rock/metal/blues but I will
really listen to anything. I believe that music is
just a way of communication, and if it does that,
then it has succeeded, whether that be musically,
spiritually, socially or culturally.

For example, The Sex Pistols who I love, were hardly
a lesson in new musical horizons, but there was
something that was trying to be communicated.
I hate Hip Hop, but I will listen to the lyrics of
De La Soul. Their use of English is beyond
comparison.

Music is a great gift, it is creation of art of who we
are, and how we wish to express ourselves
from the composer to the listener. Music is whatever
we want it to be, and from whoever it is made by.

The more different types of music that we listen to,
the more it enriches us as human beings. It breeds
understanding, and if what we listen to gives us something,
whatever that may be, then we are all the better for it.

It is only ever about music..

(BTW, Best gig, Live Aid 1985. First time I saw anything
on that scale. Only pub gigs/small venues before that)

Return to “More Music”