Finding "new" artists

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

AndrewD

Finding "new" artists

Postby AndrewD » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:03 am

New to you, that is. They may have had a thirty year career but you've just tripped over them. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Anna and I were shopping in Bristol when over the shop's sound system was a track that caught my attention. Interesting bass line, keyboards, guitars and a chugging driving drumbeat. The vocalist sounded similar to Gerry Rafferty in some respects.
I used my trusty phone to record a chunk of it and when back in 4G territory quickly found via a partial lyrics search on Captain Google that the artist was a guy called Bernie Chiaravalle. Turns out he is a supporting musician for Michael McDonald (of Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan fame) and does his own stuff too. He is a multi-instrumentalist and plays drums, keyboards, bass, guitar and vocals on his albums. Touring must be a challenge...
I found the track on Spotify and am enjoying it and the album. The track I found is called "Love will deliver".
It's great how swiftly you can find out what a piece is these days. Before the days of t'Internet it would have involved masses of research, letters to the shop to find what their playlist for that month was and all sorts.

Johnty8

Re: Finding "new" artists

Postby Johnty8 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:37 am

Bernie Chiaravalle has been with Michael McDonald for some time
The album you mention is All Or Nothing and it is well produced. The song Always demonstrates his ability to hold a lyric and he is very much under the radar.
An acquaintance of mine Anne Kerry Ford has worked with McDonald, her husband is arguably the finest contemporary blues guitarist in the world today ... Robben.
That you discovered this in the way you did ... the power of music.

John

Return to “More Music”