John Wetton

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Roger USA

John Wetton

Postby Roger USA » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 pm

I have just seen that John Wetton of King Crimson, Asia and others, has joined that ever growing super-group in the heavens.

King Crimson's album "Red", a favorite of mine, was one of his very best.

Roger

Roger

Re: John Wetton

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:08 am

Hi Roger

Yes very sad news.

I saw John Wetton play several times over the years, usually in association with Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry. However the last time I saw him perform live was in 2014 at Mr Kyps in Poole during the "Ravens and Lullabies" tour. Shortly before Gordon, Oliver and their band appeared on stage I was sure that John Wetton walked past me. "You're John Wetton aren't you?" I asked. "Yes" he said before going backstage.

Anyway much to my surprise (and everyone elses) he appeared from the shadows during the set to perform vocals on a cracking version of “ Heat of the Moment”. Totally unexpected and a great moment during what had already been an exceptional night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHO177VI1s

As you say Roger "Red" is a great album and along with FOTD and "Mainstream" by Quiet Sun (featuring Phil Manzanera) it's one of my favourite prog records.

Rest in peace John Wetton.

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Good evening to you both.

Yes, very sad news. A friend of mine is doing a tribute tonight on a radio show.

That's another King Crimson member taken as I recall another of their members was taken so soon last year.
Tom McCauley

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi Roger,

What a great moment saying hello to John Wetton and seeing him perform in Poole! I didn't realize he had performed with Gordon and Oliver at that gig (or my memory is failing me....). I have just watched the You Tube link.

That was a real bonus night for you!

All The Best,

Roger

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Roger,

There is a nice tribute on Oliver's page which tells the story behind the Mr Kyps appearance:

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:42 am

That's a very nice piece Roger - thanks for posting the link.

Return to “More Music”