RIP Johnny "Gus" Gustafson

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Trevor Raggatt

RIP Johnny "Gus" Gustafson

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Was so very very sad to hear this morning that the bass player, John Gustafson had passed away. You may not have hear OF him but you have certainly heard him. He was a member of the Merseybeats, provided some of Roxy Music's most iconic bass lines including Love Is The Drug.

He was a pivotal part of Gordon's live sound in the 1970s donating his thunderous bass lines to the Live At Oxford album and some sweet bass on the Peacock Party album. The reissue even features a fine vocal performance on one of the bonus tracks.

I never met him but we swapped emails about his involvement in the early days of Wal basses and he was ever gracious, helpful and pleasant to correspond with. I am so very sad I never got to hear him playing his Wal bass live. Around the bass player community and beyond he will be sadly missed.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: RIP Johnny "Gus" Gustafson

Postby GORDON » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Dear Trev.

I am sad beyond words to read this news which I have read this Sunday afternoon at 18-07,September 14th 2014.

I shall be writing my memories of this great crazy guy for next month's NEWS page,and will put a posting on TWITTER.

John was a true rock and roll legend and was there from the very beginning of Mersey mania.

I'm still reeling from this sad news.We shared some great times together,I even helped him move house!

Rest in peace you crazy diamond john.We loved you for your honesty and no nonsense approach to life.

I'm away for a private weep.

Thanks again Trev for letting us know buddy.

Love to you and the family.

Return to “More Music”