Genesis Extended

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

piotrwargan

Genesis Extended

Postby piotrwargan » Fri May 09, 2014 11:01 am

Hello,

Ania and I have recently been to an „evening of Genesis music” (it was announced in this way by Steve Hackett in the beginning of the concert). The concert was part of the Genesis Extended 2014 tour and the Polish gig was luckily in a town of Zabrze, which is not so far from us. We liked what we heard and saw very much, and being a fan of Genesis, I was wondering how their music from their early years would sound when played in part by other musicians. It sounded great, and it was indeed a real „wall of sound”.

There is an issue that interests me very much:
As I did not have a chance to see the “old” Genesis live in their early days (I was than a small kid behind the iron curtain ;-)), I was wondering whether some of the forumites who might have seen them these days might share their thoughts on the issue of the Genesis music played live in 1970s and now (e.g. to what extent the "feeling" be recreated etc.).

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts on this topic :-)

All the best,
Piotr

Tom McCauley

Re: Genesis Extended

Postby Tom McCauley » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:44 pm

I too am a Genesis fan. I have their 'Turn It On Again' album and two tracks off their 'Calling All Stations' album.
Tom McCauley

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:06 pm

Anna and I are off to see Steve Hackett in May at Bristol - looking forward to it immensely!

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:36 pm

AndrewD wrote:Anna and I are off to see Steve Hackett in May at Bristol - looking forward to it immensely!

Enjoy it! Once, after an acoustic gig in Wroclaw Steve signed a dvd for me (The chances of any meeting with him after the gig were close to none, but we walked close to the corridor leading from the stage and waited, the musicians were talking some distance away and the people were still applauding. Then Ania said "call him", so I shouted "Steve!"and he came and signed Tokyo Tapes for me, shook my hand and went away. For a fan of Genesis this was a memorable moment :-)

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:05 pm

I heard there's some sort of comeback tour coming up. Not sure when though?
Tom McCauley

Moodyblue

Postby Moodyblue » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 pm

I've seen the Hackett (Genesis) concerts four or five times and although the musicians do a very good job of reproducing the sound and vibe of the music, they will always fall short in my view.
It is essentially a 'tribute' act with one Genesis member playing songs he had a big or small part in.
What I do admire about Steve is he keeps the fire burning when the original band have long since shut up shop.
I remember the last time Genesis played in 2007. It was absolutely 'hairs on the back of your neck' stuff when they played the medley section with 'Cinema show' amongst others.
There was simply no place on earth I'd have rather been than sitting in Twickenham stadium listening to those wonderful musicians doing what they do best.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:17 pm

Mike and I were at the 2007 Twickenham concert too !

Excellent night, good light show too...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/34aPY7iacWBOgowv1

Sue
GG webmaster

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:22 am

Moodyblue wrote:I remember the last time Genesis played in 2007. It was absolutely 'hairs on the back of your neck' stuff when they played the medley section with 'Cinema show' amongst others.
There was simply no place on earth I'd have rather been than sitting in Twickenham stadium listening to those wonderful musicians doing what they do best.

Oh, yes 2007 gig... our group of friends (Genesis fans since highschool) were at a stadium in Chorzów, standing in a pouring rain (June in Poland = a big chance for a thunderstorm). It was not a certain thing that the gig will take place, but despite "the rain and the thunder" (Phil's words) they played an amazing gig. At one point Phil said "All I have to say is fu***n deszcz" (deszcz in Polish: rain). Before the gig there was a cloudburst (our friend who lived in the area called us before we started our trip and urged to buy plastic coats), later the rain was not so bad. But the real goosbumps were caused by the lightning and thunder around the stadium. One of such rolling thunders was heard exactly at the end of the Afterglow that finished the "old meddley".
Last edited by piotrwargan on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moodyblue

Postby Moodyblue » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:33 am

piotrwargan wrote: One of such rolling thunders was heard exactly at the end of the Afterglow that finished the "old meddley".

That is an absolute 'WOW'. To have the heavens play a part in the concert is kinda mind blowing. :D

Return to “More Music”