Christie Hennessy

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

BRC

Christie Hennessy

Postby BRC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Sometimes it is easy to get wrapped-up in your own little world an not reach out to find music beyond your experience.

Recently I have been fortunate enough to enjoy some really excellent concerts, including Gordon and Oliver Wakeman on 18th October 2012, and Steve Tilston on 26 October at Whitstable. I knew of Steve Tilston but had not experienced much of his music. What an experience I have been missing of engaging songs and music across a wide spectrum of what, I suppose, most will categorise as 'folk music'. Far too constraining a label to do justice to an excellent musician. I bought three of his albums on the night and am still listening and relistening to them. My enthusiasm for the songs is a personal viewpoint so I won't bore anyone with my personal taste. There are enough clips on YouTube to try some for yourself.

My cup was overflowing with musical joy at the week or so of the two concerts mentioned above when, unexpectedly my aural senses were alerted to something I had never heard before. I am not an easy sleeper at nights and tend to listen to Radio 5 Live in the wee hours of the morning. Just over a week ago I donned the in-ear 'phones to listen to the radio, with the subject of the hour being 'songs to put on the 'virtual juke box'. Quite a few well know songs had been played/appraised when a lady from Liverpool (home town) 'phoned in to say her favourite song was 'Remember Me' by Christie Hennessy - a name unfamiliar to me. The track was played and that was me sold to find out more about him and what other songs he had done. YouTube proved a useful source to enlighten me further - though be careful as 'Chris Hennessey' is not the same person.

Sadly, further research revealed that Christie died in December 2007 at the age of 62, but what a wonderful legacy of songs he has provided. There are hints of Cat Stevens and Clifford T Ward in the sounds and lyrics, though as a contemporary of theirs I am sure his sound is original. Have a listen to the songs available on YouTube and see what you think. There is always room in life for beautiful music.

Brad

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Christie Hennessy

Postby GORDON » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:39 pm

I met the man several years ago and what a great guy he was. An old friend and bass player of mine called Alan Hall new him well and in fact did concerts with him. What a sad loss.

Thanks for reminding us of him Brad.

Be well.

G.

kevin

Postby kevin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Brad
Good call as they say.
Thanks for bringing Christi to our attention.
You are right elements of Cat Steven and Clifford T Ward.
Good semi documentary on you tube. Apparently he could not read or write, amazing!
Seems like he was a nice bloke, sad loss (another)
Best wishes
Kevin

BRC

Postby BRC » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:29 pm

I was in London last Friday, 16th November, so paid a visit to the HMV, Oxford Street, basement to rummage through the folk and Irish sections. Amongst other CDs I also found 2 by Christie Hennessy:

'The Definitive Christie Hennessy' - Warner label catalogue number 5046662522, and
'Christie Hennessy - The Platinum Collection' - Warner label catalogue number 505101-199972-7.

I have spent many hours over the past week listening and re-listening to these two albums and have to say that what I found on YouTube was only a tiny taster compared to the 35 tracks on these two albums. It leaves me in a quandary as to how to categorise Christie's music - folk, folk-rock, Irish Folk/Ceilidh, ballads, easy listening .... I just don't know how to settle on any of those or some other, so I won't.

As should be expected, there is a clear Irish heritage in some of the songs though not in an overly dominating way. There are some really beautiful wistful numbers and, totally honestly, not a bad track amongst them. In fact quite the opposite as all are excellent in their individual ways.

I saw the YouTube 'semi documentary' on Christie before I wrote my first posting and was amazed at his humility and lack of ego. A lesson that could be learned by far too many in the music business. That comes through clearly in his songs and clearly his crafting of those songs. His 'writng' is very perceptive and moving without being mawkish

I grew up in Liverpool in the 1950's, though, more specifically, musically, in the 1960's as the Mersey sound boom started. It was not a sudden explosion as many TV documentaries seem to portray but a constant, vibrant scene in the city, including very healthy folk music and also jazz clubs (The Cavern was originally a jazz venue - after being a warehouse). I leaned very much to folk music and the likes of Tom Paxton, The Weavers , Pete Seeger et al and the emerging modern folk artists Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Joan Baez, Martin Carthy and many more. I am not launching in to a 'life history', but use this to illustrate that I still find it incredible that I missed hearing about Christie Hennessy. Irish music was quite evident in Liverpool throughout the twentieth century but, for some reason, Christie's music was missed by me and, it would seem, many others.

I am enthused by this find of a previously 'unknown' artist -'Roll Back The Clouds' is now playing in my head as if to join in that approbation.

Enough of my thoughts, find yourself one of his albums and sit down, listen and enjoy. That is such a wonderful legacy for Christie Hennessy to have left the world and, although his life was tragically cut short, far more than most of us will leave.

Brad

Return to “More Music”