Music includes opera too...

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

sultan4swing

Music includes opera too...

Postby sultan4swing » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 pm

Opera tends to generate a wide range of extreme conflicting opinions.... but I'm going out on a limb to 'put the case for the defense' so to speak.... I've been so fortunate to be, by osmosis, or to make myself exposed to a wide range of music and the arts over the last 50 years or so.... You will know from my various blogs that for many years I focused on the more populat music genres.... However, by chance back just before the 1990 World Cup, and coinciding with a planned camping holiday thru France and Italy, I hit on a seminal moment during a radio programme with Nicky Campbell, who decided to indulge himself and play Pavarotti's Nessun Dorma on his normal pop programme. The audience response to this was unprecedented and was a major influence in the piece introducing The World Cup programmes. My then wife and I heard it and it was a seminal music moment for us., We decided to buy a compilation of his arias from a number of operas - known by afficinados - as 'choccy drops'... We played this all the way to and from Italy where on the night of the famous Germany/England SF, we had to endure yet another major tournament penalty failure - in a bar full of Germans... !!!! This whole opera arias experience prompted us to go home and get exposed to some full opera performances... It's not been all plain sailing - opera can be like marmite - if you initially make the wrong choice. But the last 25 years have allowed me to see most of the most popular operas a number of times. An opera is about the most complete entertainment experience anyone can have - it is orchestral music, acting, drama, joy, pathos, hate, love , and stories of life and the human condition.... like nothing else.... So, the upshot of this blog is...... why not give opera a try.... you've nothing to lose and a lot to gain.... If you want suggestions as to how and where to start.... happy to help.... !!!!!!! We have just been to what is probably my 6th visit to a performance of Madam Butterfly ..... if its being performed near you ... go and see it.... it is about the most sublime and moving story of love found, lost and pathos you can imagine ... the music is sublime....

Nickswitz

Re: Music includes opera too...

Postby Nickswitz » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:16 am

Music is music, it transcends what we think.
Opera is shite, or great, music must have value
to the listener..

In Italia 1990 we all heard Nessun Dorma, which
means "No person sleeps" if my Italian is correct.

But that doesn't matter, but what is important is
what it means to you as a piece of music..

Does it remind you of a time, a place, a person,
an experience, a taste, etc.. Music never needs to
be justified...

Check out Vide Cor Meum, an operatic track from the
film "Hannibal"

Makes me cry, but so does "Woman in Chains" by Tears for Fears

Music is ourselves...

Music is only what we want it to be.. And never justify
your own tastes. They are yours..
ATB

Return to “More Music”